Dvr For $299

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rasslick

Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
hi everyone ..i just purchase a new HDTV recently .i have a dvr 15 with directv ,so i call customer service to inq how much would the HDDVR box would be if i upgrade the rep told me $299 with a two yr contract ,now since i am with directv for almost 10 yrs i ask if their is any discount,the rep said i would have to speak with someone in customer retention which i did they offer me a new hd dvr box for $150.00 with the same two yr contract & 6 months of showtime free & $10.99 per month fee for HD. WOW !! not bad but still kinda high for the fee though ..is this a good deal or should just get the standard HD BOX & forget about the dvr aspect? ..thanks

good deal. I got it for $199 in 3 payments, with a $100 credit the first month. So essentially $99.

You got $150 - $72 (6 months showtime if your only premium) - $66 (HD fee)

= $2.

Seems very fair.

thanks chris ...did you have to do a two contract ? also the fee is the same across the board $10.99 ?

yes, all new deals require 2 yr commits

the old HD fee was $9.99, I guess the new one is $10.99 if you are grandfathered in and don't pay for HD in one of the new service packs.

I was able to get new HDDVR for free and 1 year free HD, plus the new 5 LNB Dish with 2yr contract. All will be installed this Saturday. I already have one HDDVR in our living room. We will be having this new one installed in our bedroom.

Did you pay the $799 or whatever for the first HD DVR? If so, you deserved one for free!

I paid like $450 for one of the first HD boxes in fall 2004.

I paid $499. This price included the "High Definition Off-Air Antenna". I also did this as part of their movers connection in November 2005. I have heard that DTV will give offers based upon your programming package. I currently have :

DIRECTV DVR Service
DIRECTV Protection Plan
Network: FOX HD
Network: ABC HD
PREMIER
HD Access
NFL Sunday Ticket 2006 Season
NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan 2006
NASCAR HotPass 2007
I currently have 3 receivers all of which are HD. I have had their HD package from the time they offered it.
I would agree with you I do deserve it!! I have been a great customer for them and paid them a bunch of money. Now I will be under contract with them for 2yrs. I haven't been like that for a long time.

FYI... Last week I ordered (1) HD DVR and (2) standard DVR's to replace my current equipment. $99 for the HR20, (1) DVR free and (1) DVR for $99. Plus 2x $20 handling fee/tax. To be installed on the 24th.

FYI... Last week I ordered (1) HD DVR and (2) standard DVR's to replace my current equipment. $99 for the HR20, (1) DVR free and (1) DVR for $99. Plus 2x $20 handling fee/tax. To be installed on the 24th.

WOW you scored! good job!

I'm sorry, but I call BS on the no commit. Even if the CSR said it, there is a 2 yr commit.

As far as all the other free hardware....do you want to represent me at my next negotiation?

I'm sorry, but I call BS on the no commit. Even if the CSR said it, there is a 2 yr commit.

As far as all the other free hardware....do you want to represent me at my next negotiation?

It's funny because if you search under my nick last year, I made the exact same post as you.

At the end of the ordering process, the CSR reads everything back and states everything and as he was going he said "there is a 24 months comittment.....hmmm....wait....there is no 24 month committment - its usually here but it says no committment on the screen" I then interrupted and said ok...please repeat that for me - and he did again - this time on tape.

I also had another 3rd party who's account it was conferenced in and he heard it just as I did and once the CSR was off, I told him I have never heard of it - but we have it on tape and both of us heard it - so lots of luck having that stand up if they challenge it.

Remember, I haven't signed a new contract - the oral committment is all I have agreed to - so they can claim it all they want - but whatever.

Regardless, this house is in Beverly Hills on the side of the Mountain, shaded from Mt. Wilson. Nothing comes in OTA. They already have 6 HD-LILs in LA. I doubt this person will drop D* in 24 months anyway.

As for the other - this person is in charge of Programming of a Broadcast Group - so I am pretty sure that his bills gets paid on time and doubt he ever complains about anything - until I do it as him for this purpose, lol.

The queue says he is an A Customer - whatever that really means.

Now, as they missed the install last week, I called again today to beat them up more.

I wanted to change the H20s for HR20s....their computer system will not allow more than 1 HR20 install that they send out every 6 months now - so even the Customer Retention Floor Manager could not over-ride the system.

So they agreed for the missed install, that I could go out and purchase 2 HR20s at retail - and they would install them on the new install date with their supplied units - and they would give me a $200 per HR20 rebate on my D* bill.

Thus, now I have:

1 5 lnb dish and install
1 Multiswitch
3 HR20s
2 H20s
Move HD-TIVO to different room
$100 of Bill for HD for next 12 months
No committment
Total outlay - $199.00

Also, to recap, $129 had to be charge to Credit Card and then was immediately that amount was credited to Directv bill (normally would be for 5 lnb dish plus S/H)

$599 for 2 HR20s on Credit Card from OnLine Retailer of which $400 will be credited on Directv Bill on install day. I have the CSR Name and Operator ID for verification, tape and 2 people witnessed.

In other words, I suspect he will not owe anything on his D* bill for about 6 months now, lol....but essentially he's paid his Directv bill for about 6 months in advance now.

Last edited:
OKay, here's my deal. I called and best I could get was $199 for HR20. So I emailed them from link on web site, saying I was longtime customer, etc. I said I was looking for $99.

They called me today and gave me 2 !! Hr-20's for $99 plus the shipping fee deal. 3 months free Showtime also.

I agree. Regardless of what is said and is recorded on tape, if the technician is bringing the equipment you will be required to sign the 2 year lease or you probably won't get installed.

OKay, here's my deal. I called and best I could get was $199 for HR20. So I emailed them from link on web site, saying I was longtime customer, etc. I said I was looking for $99.

They called me today and gave me 2 !! Hr-20's for $99 plus the shipping fee deal. 3 months free Showtime also.

Now I am somewhat pissed....are you telling me that they WERE able to enter 2 HR20s into their system and have them sent out - or that you had to go buy one of them and they gave you a credit as they had to do for me? The person in charge of the floor at Customer Retention that the rep tracked down swore the computer would not let them order more than 1 HR20 per work order - and it would catch work orders for new HR20s within 6 months - thus why I had to jump through the hoops.

I agree. Regardless of what is said and is recorded on tape, if the technician is bringing the equipment you will be required to sign the 2 year lease or you probably won't get installed.

Again, I really don't care as its not my account and the person won't be disconnecting as they can't get OTA up from Sunset Blvd in the hills - as you have a massive mountain in the way of Mt. Wilson....so nothing is getting through there. And LA already has 6 (maybe 7 HD-LIL locals) on D*. Dish doesn't and won't have the capacity to even come close in the next 24 months.

But I am 100% confident with what I have in terms of witness and recording that it will stand up in any court as they specifically told me it did not require a 2 year requirement.

It's no different than another case I am well aware of a broadcast company and an entertainer were negotiating with revisions going back and forth. After everything was agreed to, in the final revision, the person preparing the contract left a section out and tried to slip it by. It did...until that term was supposed to be triggered.

There was evidence in the work documents that it was agreed to and the person who tried to pull this off didn't have it stand it.

The recording and witness is just as good as work documents if it ever went to that.

good deal. I got it for $199 in 3 payments, with a $100 credit the first month. So essentially $99.

You got $150 - $72 (6 months showtime if your only premium) - $66 (HD fee)

= $2.

Seems very fair.

I supposedly got this same deal but I checked on my order yesterday because I forgot my install date, and I see they have listed 299.00 plus tax. I called to find out why, but nobody has returned my call, after I missed the orginal call back.

If they are trying to screw me, they can forget it. I am not upgrading IM actually adding it, but she told me for the same deal..Someone better get back to me by monday morning or someone is getting turned back around when they get here.

Now I am somewhat pissed....are you telling me that they WERE able to enter 2 HR20s into their system and have them sent out - or that you had to go buy one of them and they gave you a credit as they had to do for me? The person in charge of the floor at Customer Retention that the rep tracked down swore the computer would not let them order more than 1 HR20 per work order - and it would catch work orders for new HR20s within 6 months - thus why I had to jump through the hoops.

Nope, they are delivering 2 at once. They charged me for both immediately ($199 total) on credit card, and gave me $100 credit on next bill. I had the feeling I was dealing with someone that didn't have to check with someone at a higher level.

Trust me, I was hoping for 1 at 99, so 2 at 99 blew my mind. I am a LONG time customer with premiums, etc.

Nope, they are delivering 2 at once. They charged me for both immediately ($199 total) on credit card, and gave me $100 credit on next bill. I had the feeling I was dealing with someone that didn't have to check with someone at a higher level.

Trust me, I was hoping for 1 at 99, so 2 at 99 blew my mind. I am a LONG time customer with premiums, etc.

They claim the computer system WILL NOT allow that - regardless of who they check with.

That's the thing that gets me.

Considering I got 1 free and 2 more for $199 net, I'm not complaining...just the aggrevation of the backwoods way I had to get it done. I will be interested to hear if they bring you out 2.

I called retention today (my third try) about the HR20. the first CSR told me $299, the second said $199 the third (the charm?) is giving it to me for $99 with a $99 credit (I have to pay $19.99 S/H to have a installer bring it to me). I just recommitted in July 06 and received the HR10-250 then. I tried to get them to let me keep the HR10 and move it to a bedroom to replace a standard receiver but they insist I send the HR10 back ??? Maybe I'll wait a couple days and call again and see if I can keep it. As long as I'm recommitting for another two years I dont understand why ??? any suggestions ? It seems it the luck of the draw when talking to different CSR's ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts