DVR for Wally Not Working!

reubenray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 30, 2018
Bella Vista, Arkansas
I have been setting up my Wally for an incoming trip in my RV and it won't pick up my hard drive. It worked great two months ago. I checked all of the connections with no luck.
The hard drive spins up and works. I even tried another hard drive, but it would not work either.

Any ideas?

I figured it out. The USB cable has part of the USB port in it. So that port is no good. I tried other cables with other hard drives. Now I have only one port with three items (DVR, OTA antenna and Wifi) to use.

Is there a splitter that I can use to give me more USB ports?
Yes, use a USB hub. Enter that on Amazon and you will see plenty of them.

Actually I am not entirely sure it will work on the Wally myself. I know it works fine on Hoppers and 722s. All you can do is try. Perhaps you have a hub laying around. I know I have 3 or 4 of them that sit in my equipment drawer.
In reading the reviews of the hub I ordered several people posted that it worked with their Wally.
Hopefully it does. I went through my two containers of stuff, but I could not find a USB hub. I thought I had one.

Just a suggestion, before ordering on Amazon and risk having to return should something not work for you which can result in a permanent lifetime ban from buying from them if they decide to ban you for what they consider too many returns, a better way to do this is to visit the local target and then try it where you will have 30 days to return without the risk. Amazon is a better place to buy only if you are certain you know you will keep the product without returning it due to Amazon sometimes being the only place to buy certain things, not worth the risk of the ban. Ofcourse there is another scenario where you will keep the product even if it doesn't work for you and either use it for something else or sell or give it away.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just a suggestion, before ordering on Amazon and risk having to return should something not work for you which can result in a permanent lifetime ban from buying from them if they decide to ban you for what they consider too many returns, a better way to do this is to visit the local target and then try it where you will have 30 days to return without the risk. Amazon is a better place to buy only if you are certain you know you will keep the product without returning it due to Amazon sometimes being the only place to buy certain things, not worth the risk of the ban.
I have been ordering from Amazon for 24 years and have returned items many times. I have never been threatened with a ban.

I have been ordering from Amazon for 24 years and have returned items many times. I have never been threatened with a ban.
Lots of people apparently have as I think they also look at what % either in $ spent or items kept compared to returned over the past x time period. One friend even got banned on wayfair for placing 2 orders, one of which was returned which total $150 and the returned item was $30 but they do not call it a ban, his third order never processed and he asked and basically executive resolutions analyst sent a email that said something along the lines of they have come to the conclusion that her order history indicates it would be best for them to shop at a brick and mortar store. Their experience and feedback indicates they are not the right company to satisfy her shopping needs and standard despite their attempts to fulfill her orders to their high expectations. And they regret it as a very difficult decision made by the company and based on the T&C, they reserve the right to cancel orders for any reason and go through several levels of review before making the difficult decision to end a business relationship with a customer and it has already been reviewed so it cannot be reverse. They also said they came to this decision to protect Wayfair as a company but also to protect her as a customer. When they cannot provide a certain level of service to their customers, they choose this route in order to minimize any further negative experiences or losses. They also stated they are unable to service any of her previous orders at this time. They request that she please do not initiate any new orders. and also said please note, any future orders with Wayfair.com and its subsidiaries will be cancelled from this point forward.

Just a suggestion, before ordering on Amazon and risk having to return should something not work for you which can result in a permanent lifetime ban from buying from them if they decide to ban you for what they consider too many returns, a better way to do this is to visit the local target and then try it where you will have 30 days to return without the risk. Amazon is a better place to buy only if you are certain you know you will keep the product without returning it due to Amazon sometimes being the only place to buy certain things, not worth the risk of the ban. Ofcourse there is another scenario where you will keep the product even if it doesn't work for you and either use it for something else or sell or give it away.
I can't remember when the last time I shopped at a Target. I think it was around 2015. There is one about 30 miles away, but I have not been to it.

I can't remember when the last time I shopped at a Target. I think it was around 2015. There is one about 30 miles away, but I have not been to it.
Yeah, distance does come into play as well since I can't goto Walmart for that same reason as it seems they usually are not in big cities so what I meant is only if the option of a local vendor that has a good return policy would be available, you can use that route as 30 miles is not worth the hassle. I think that was a good reason that it was good to have things like Radio Shack's around and hopefully you had one that was actually local to you. The other thing you could have done is see if someone local had a USB hub you can borrow for a short period of time since you will know within a few minutes if it works or not and then after that, you can just buy any USB hub (2.0 I think in this case, a 3.0 would still work but it will just act on the fastest both the device and hub is capable of) that meets the spec and you should get one that is a powered hub meaning it also uses electricity from the wall in addition to the USB cable if you want it to be foolproof.

Yeah, distance does come into play as well since I can't goto Walmart for that same reason as it seems they usually are not in big cities so what I meant is only if the option of a local vendor that has a good return policy would be available, you can use that route as 30 miles is not worth the hassle. I think that was a good reason that it was good to have things like Radio Shack's around and hopefully you had one that was actually local to you. The other thing you could have done is see if someone local had a USB hub you can borrow for a short period of time since you will know within a few minutes if it works or not and then after that, you can just buy any USB hub (2.0 I think in this case, a 3.0 would still work but it will just act on the fastest both the device and hub is capable of) that meets the spec and you should get one that is a powered hub meaning it also uses electricity from the wall in addition to the USB cable if you want it to be foolproof.
I loved Radio Shacks.

I don't have any neighbors. I have been the lone house on my short street for two years. But there is a family with "KIDS" moving in soon from Arizona.

I loved Radio Shacks.

I don't have any neighbors. I have been the lone house on my short street for two years. But there is a family with "KIDS" moving in soon from Arizona.
I guess the other was to have been some local company with a good return policy or things like OfficeDepot, Staples, etc or any of the big companies that happens to sell something you need.

I didn't mean they had to be neighbors but it could be someone you know or even from local forums that is in the local area but way closer than 30 miles.