DVR Freezing -- Could Slingbox be causing it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ssides

Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I have been having increasing problems with my 722 DVR freezing -- it used to be just during playback of recorded video, now it's all the time. I have gone over it with Dish over the phone, and I am getting a new receiver in a few days.

I recently hooked a Slingbox up to this receiver, and for about a week, it worked great -- until I traveled to Dubai when (I thought) a slower internet connection caused the picture to freeze. I returned to find that the problem seemed to be with the DVR, not the Slingbox.

However, my question is -- could the Slingbox have caused this? If so, I'm definitely not going to hook it back up and ruin another receiver.

Many thanks.

This is actually a very common problem with 622's and 722's. If you search through the forums you will see numerous references to a stuttering, jerking or freezing picture. Sometimes it goes away on its own, sometimes it doesn't. Ours got progressively worse, until I called Dish and they readily agreed to replace it. The Tech seemed to know exactly what I was describing. Calll them, and they will likely replace it.

No way a slingbox could cause this, at least no more likely than you could cause it sitting in front of the TV with the remote in your hand. With the exception of the IR blaster it's an input-only device.

Thanks -- Dish is replacing it, I should have a new one in a few days. I am just antsy about hooking up the Slingbox as it did not ever happen until I was using the Slingbox from an international location.

Glad I found someone who is having the same issue. I have a Dish DVDR 625 in the livingroom which takes care of that room as well as 1 bedroom. Ever since I got this 625 the picture will freeze(not more then a second) but its alot. I just got thru watching A & E Adromedia Strain-4 hours and it happened 31 times. Like I said it only last a second. Infact I am the only one that notices it, no one else does.
It happens on every channel and ONLY with the 625. We have just a plain dish receiver in the master bedroom and its fine.
When I got this last July, the harddrive crashed within 8 days so it was replaced.
Any ideas whats causing this. It can't be heat because it gets alot of air.....all the years I had dish this never occurred until I got the DVDR. thanks for any info.:eek:

The 722s don't have built in Slingbox yet, right? This is like an external box?

How could something attached to the OUTPUT of a DVR cause problems with it?

Well, now that I think about it... the output from the DVR passes through the Slingbox on the way to the TV. If something weird is going on in the Slingbox to cause issues with the passthru, I guess it's possible.

If you see the same issue on a different output that doesn't pass through the Slingbox first, then it's something else.

Just to add another data point -- I've had a Slingbox Solo hooked up to my 722 since December without any of these issues. The TV is on the HDMI output, the Slingbox is hooked up to the component outputs.

Well, now that I think about it... the output from the DVR passes through the Slingbox on the way to the TV. If something weird is going on in the Slingbox to cause issues with the passthru, I guess it's possible.

If you see the same issue on a different output that doesn't pass through the Slingbox first, then it's something else.

:confused: My slingbox (Slingbox AV) isn't a passthrough. It just accepts an S-Video or composite output and then sends it out via ethernet. But even for those slingboxes that are passthroughs, it might affect the picture on the TV but wouldn't have any impact on the DVR itself which was the OP's issue.

If something weird is going on in the Slingbox to cause issues with the passthru, I guess it's possible.

I didn't think of that. Still...it's a PassTHROUGH, not a Futz-Around-With-The-Signal-For-No-Reason-And-Then-Send-It-To-The-TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)