DVR Functionality with 211 and External Drive

GFT

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I know its probably been discussed before, but I want to make sure I understand this correctly. If I use an external drive with a 211 hd receiver will I have all the same functions as a regular dvr, such as setting timers for recordings and having the extended multi-day guide? Or am I limited to doing basic manual recordings and archiving of programs?

Also, are the new vip boxes backward compatable with a DP500 and DP300 dish connected through a DP34 switch? I have the ability to get 110/119/129 now with the 2 dish setup, would the install guy want to swap it out for a 1000.2 or would he likely leave well enough alone? Is there any advantage to using the 1000.2 over the setup I have now, other than the convenience of a one dish setup? Which is better for signal strength and rain fade resistance?

211 External Drive - Yes, auto recording options timers, etc.. The 211k has a built in OTA module, if you attach an antenna and are in range you can pick-up OTA channels and record one satellite and one OTA channel at the same time.

personally I would prefer the three satellite dishes one aimed at each satellite to get the maximum signal possible. The only real benefit with 1000.2/1000.4 is the single dish and "newer" ... at least that's how I perceive it.

I know its probably been discussed before, but I want to make sure I understand this correctly. If I use an external drive with a 211 hd receiver will I have all the same functions as a regular dvr, such as setting timers for recordings and having the extended multi-day guide? Or am I limited to doing basic manual recordings and archiving of programs?
works the exact same as a DVR unit. I have the same setup and it works great (I'm also in Mpls)
9 day guide and just go in the guide, find the program and hit record. Gives you the same recording options as the "stock" (built in) DVR's

only time I use a manual timer is on the OTA (since the 211 can do OTA) programs (some of them). When they moved 45 from 45-1 to 5-45 we lost the OTA guide info so I have ot set manual timers for that station.

Also, are the new vip boxes backward compatable with a DP500 and DP300 dish connected through a DP34 switch? I have the ability to get 110/119/129 now with the 2 dish setup, would the install guy want to swap it out for a 1000.2 or would he likely leave well enough alone?
That setup wouldnt be considered "backwards compatible". Legacy (the original LNB's/SW switches) is backwards compatible :)
DishPro works fine on the 211. I have a Legacy setup and it works just fine

Is there any advantage to using the 1000.2 over the setup I have now, other than the convenience of a one dish setup?
If you add a dual tuner unit you would only need one cable from the LNB to the receiver. The DP34 requires 2 lines

Which is better for signal strength and rain fade resistance?
unless the dishes are larger in size....they work the same

In addition to the full DVR functionality mentioned previously, the EHD will also be used to buffer live broadcasts to the
disk drive so you have pause and some reverse functions even when not recording.
That comes in handy sometimes, ie phone calls and other interruptions.

Thanks for all the replies you guys, esp. Iceberg. Very informative. A followup question for Ice on the 1000.2. How many runs of coax does it need into the house to serve all three orbital slots? How many receivers will it serve directly without having to go through a multi-switch? And would the existing DP34 be the one we would use if one was needed?

By the way, Im trying to figure out what the Hubbards are thinking in changing the remap on KSTC to 5.xx. I know it was part of adding MeTV but it just seems like they created a lot of confusion in the process. I have a tuner card in my desktop pc that I occaisionally watch ota, and the guide info in Windows Media Center is still a bit out of whack.

Thanks for all the replies you guys, esp. Iceberg. Very informative. A followup question for Ice on the 1000.2. How many runs of coax does it need into the house to serve all three orbital slots?
The 1000.2 needs one cable per receiver. So the 211 would need just one cable
The dual tuner units can get by with one cable and put the separator on the back of the receiver (dual tuner)

How many receivers will it serve directly without having to go through a multi-switch?
3 receivers...6 tuners max (if you have 3 dual tuner units)

And would the existing DP34 be the one we would use if one was needed?
the 34 wouldn't be the best option as then you would require 2 cables for each dual tuner unit
A DPP44+ would allow up to 4 receivers (8 tuners) or even the DPP33 which can do 3 dual tuner units but is cascadable (just add another switch to the exiting one) for more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)