DVR HR21-Is there a way to configure video output?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

j0nnyhb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
as in when I try to record an HD program on a non-HD DVD recorder (to "down convert" to 480i). For now, I just want to get a really good SD recording to play on standard DVD players. Is there a way to do this?

My experience is that the HD shows (football games) don't record very well even when I have the DVD recorder in XP mode. Could it be too much data being sent from the DVR HR21? I was using the S-Video out from the DVR to S-Video in on DVD recorder.

Thanks in advance!

You could try using component cables if the recorder has the inputs. That way you would be letting the recorder do the down converting rather than the sat receiver. Just a thought.

My recorder doesn't have component inputs (not many do from what I have seen), so unfortunetly that won't work for me ... thanks for the response.

The receiver can't send "too much data", the s-video connection is the one to use. I record HD stuff in SD on my DVD recorder all the time from my DVRs. The quality is better than regular SD recordings because the original signal is higher quality, but it's still SD, it's only 480i and that's the best you can do.

Thanks texasbrit ... there is something different about HD football/basketball games vs the Cartoon Network's "Clone Wars". The Clone Wars (for my kids ;o) ) records fantastic from HD to SD ... sporting events don't, and I have no idea why. The quality of those isn't even close to being good.

there is something different about HD football/basketball games vs the Cartoon Network's "Clone Wars". The Clone Wars (for my kids ;o) ) records fantastic from HD to SD ... sporting events don't, and I have no idea why. The quality of those isn't even close to being good.
"Live" sporting events are considerably more difficult to compress on the fly than "cartoons". Absent getting a better DVD recorder, you're not going to see any change.

So the "Live" sporting events go on the DVR without ideal compression, and when I try to record them onto DVDs, the issue surfaces .... ok, thanks for that tidbit of information, that makes sense.

I'm thinking about to trying the Hauppauge HD PVR (which has component in). Sounds like that will burn to a format that will play in Blue-Ray (using standard DVD+R), but not sure I could change the format to ever play the recordings on a standard DVD player.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts