DVR humming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Marg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Ajo AZ
Since we started with DTV in Oct when all is quiet at night it sounds like there is a motor running when we get in bed and I knew it wasn't my husband or the dog.Finally I found it was coming from the DVR which is in a cabinet in the bedroom (we live in a camper) does anyone else noticed this or is something not right with this one.

Since we started with DTV in Oct when all is quiet at night it sounds like there is a motor running when we get in bed and I knew it wasn't my husband or the dog.Finally I found it was coming from the DVR which is in a cabinet in the bedroom (we live in a camper) does anyone else noticed this or is something not right with this one.

A DVR is basically a computer and has both a mechanical hard drive and a fan. Even if it is "Off" it is still running, monitoring timers, recording shows, etc. Occasionally it will also power up to load an update. The sound is normal. You would have to unplug it to get it to shut completely off but that is not really recommended.

TS

Thanks for the info. I hope when we start traveling in Feb that shutting the power off isn't going to hurt it there is no choice since the batteries would not handle the draw over night.Before we got the DVR we used a regular receiver and it was powered off all day and on in the evening then off all night and it worked great for year,s.

Thanks for the info. I hope when we start traveling in Feb that shutting the power off isn't going to hurt it there is no choice since the batteries would not handle the draw over night.Before we got the DVR we used a regular receiver and it was powered off all day and on in the evening then off all night and it worked great for year,s.

You'll be fine ....
You'll just have to wait for it to reboot each time when you plug it back in.

That is a relief I would miss the recorder after having one, we have the DNS networks out of LA which are to late for me to watch anything.

You'll be fine ....
You'll just have to wait for it to reboot each time when you plug it back in.

That is correct but, contrary to what has been suggested by some advertising, the DVR can only record what is on the air when it is on the air so if you have a timer set to record while it is unplugged, your program will not record. However, Jumbo is absolutely correct - unplugging it us not going to hurt anything. :)

The plan is to leave it on when its set to record something later then the first one to get up (bathroom) reach over and shut the inverter off after it records.

The Fat Man is right. DVRs hum because they don't know the words. If it is singing, it's making it up! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts