DVR install and splitters?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

locdogg

Original poster
Jul 14, 2007
Right now DirecTV is offering a free DVR (I don't know which model) to new customers, which is great. When the guy came to install the setup yesterday, he looked at the apartment and told me that to use the DVR, it needs 2 lines from the dish, and I only had one useable jack coming into the apartment. His suggestion was to run a cable though the patio door and into the apartment or to drill a hole through the wall and drop a cable there (something I'm not really crazy about since I'm renting and would like my security deposit back). I told him to let me think about it and he's coming back next week.

I was wondering if anyone knew if I could split one line in from the dish into 2 using a cable splitter and not have to drill holes or have cables hanging around the apt.? I was thinking something like this:

dish---->wall jack--->splitter----> 2 cables into the DVR

Am I a crackpot? Would this work? Do I need to bust out a drill or kiss my dreams of full on DVR glory goodbye?

Switch to dish network, they have dual tuner receivers that use whats called DP Plus. Plus means one line passes 2 signals that are stacked frequencies and you use whats called a DP seperator which is similar to a splitter to seperate the signal. This is what you need and Direct tv right now does not offer this technology.

Switch to dish network, they have dual tuner receivers that use whats called DP Plus. Plus means one line passes 2 signals that are stacked frequencies and you use whats called a DP seperator which is similar to a splitter to seperate the signal. This is what you need and Direct tv right now does not offer this technology.

I see :(

I was hoping there was some change from 2004 when: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-dvr-forum/20197-directv-dvr-help.html
was asked. I guess not. Oh well...

I see :(

I was hoping there was some change from 2004 when: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-dvr-forum/20197-directv-dvr-help.html
was asked. I guess not. Oh well...

Don't be too discouraged yet,
Go ahead and get the set up you want, yes you need two lines ... however, you CAN use the DVR with one line still, you just can't record something and watch something else on sat.

Now D* has a product that is in beta testing for several months now that addresses your problem, it's called SWM, it's a set up that bacically takes the signal from the 1 line and makes two seperate tuners available.

You don't need to go to DISH to get thier stuff...

Hang in there, there is not a timetable as to when these will be out on themarket or how they will be installed yet, but it will be here.

Jimbo

Until SWM is available, you could use flat RG6 that can go under a door or window. Or you stack the signal yourself (expensive solution).

I think SWM will be out this early fall - hopefully around start of prime time programming. If you order your DVR install then, they should upgrade you to the necessary switch free.

If you order the install for the DVR now - the installer would run a second line for the dvr. You may have to pay the installer extra for a wall fish to have it run into your wall plate if desired. I would guess $50 or so, but only a guess - up to each individual installation company / installer.

Sorry - no SWM support for SD dvrs. Only works on the HD dvrs and soon the D12 and H21 non-dvrs.

I think you're going to need that second line.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)