DVR is getting replaced tomorrow due to HD crash, questions about Dish VIP 722 vs VIP 722K and OTA m

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Last night our hard drive crashed in our VIP 722, and I've read that the installers can replace it with either a VIP 722 or VIP 722 K. We do periodically record from our OTA antenna, so given the VIP 722K requires the OTA module is this something I can ask for at no cost if they only have a 722K available? It seems that if they just replace our 722 with the 722K and no OTA module that we're actually loosing features which would suck. Also what's the technical term for the module, just so I'm sure to ask for the correct part.

I just wanted to get info on this before tomorrow morning in-case I run into this dilemma.

Thanks --

Dish policy on replacements usually is same receiver. So, I do not know that an installer can replace with a different model UNLESS he (and his local distributor) does not have it.
The module itself is the MT2 OTA Antenna Module...and it is normally a $50.00 purchase.

Dish policy on replacements usually is same receiver. So, I do not know that an installer can replace with a different model UNLESS he (and his local distributor) does not have it.
The module itself is the MT2 OTA Antenna Module...and it is normally a $50.00 purchase.

The reason I asked is because when we moved two years ago the installer had a problem getting our 722 set-up and he said he'd bring in another receiver just in-case our receiver was bad, and what he brought in was a 722K. We had Dish Pause for about 5 months during two moves so we just assumed possibly the box got handled roughly, but in the end he found the problem to be on the dish he installed and not our 722 so we kept our original receiver.

My fear was that the installer would come tomorrow toting a 722K as before, and if I ask for the OTA module at no cost as to keep the same level of service I have now I wasn't sure what to expect if he said no or wasn't familiar with the differences between the units.

If you have a 722 you should get a 722. I personally upgraded to the 722k last year and sprung the money for an OTA module. It was $35 through the now defunct Dish store. Dish Network charges somewhere near $50. The major difference really is the two OTA tuners and the more hours of DVR time. I'd personally go for the 722k and get the OTA module.

Honestly given we're on the Welcome Package most of the stuff we record, except for OTA/Local programming and the occasional movie on the preview movie channels, is saving in standard definition, so from that we rarely if ever run short on space. As for two OTA tuners for now we can record two Local programs given the channel is available both OTA and as a Local from Dish, which we do quite often. That's one reason we have the antenna connected... but I don't know that I've ever needed to record three local channels at the same time.

Not to sound like a contrarian, but I don't know that we'd use the advantages we'd get from the 722K plus $35-$50 for the OTA module. Now if the guy only has a 722K and is willing to give us the OTA module to save him a trip back to his shop I wouldn't turn it down, but our budget is fairly tight so I'd rather not be out the cash if we're not getting an advantage out of it.

The "K" will let you save timers to the remote, will it not? A premium reason to go "K" if there's no cost other than the OTA module.

KAB is correct. DISH will replace your receiver with a 722 model. Exchanges are for like models only. If the technician does not have a 722, he can bring a 722k. If this happen, please contact a DIRT member and we will assist you with the OTA! Thank you!

Just an update on this, instead of the technician coming out on Saturday morning as was scheduled he called that morning around 10am saying he'd have Dish 'overnight' a receiver to us, which I wonder if part of this might've been due to the storm that was hitting our area that morning and maybe he just didn't want to get out in the rain :-/ Not sure... At any rate the receiver wasn't sent overnight, instead it went out Monday afternoon and per the tracking number should arrive today though if they require a signature I won't get it until tomorrow. The tech said to just follow the instructions on the receiver when I plug it up and to call them if I had problems. Given tonight is the Presidential debates I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's at my doorstep when I get home, else we'll miss them which will totally suck...

So though I posted the rave about Dish and the tech who came out last week, I'm now kinda blah over the whole thing since it was the same tech who I talked to Saturday...

UPS in my area will just leave the box without a signature. Easiest way to swap the good for the bad is to place the new receiver on top of the old one and swap cables one for one, this keeps you from mixing them up. Then go online and activate. You'll have to download the receiver first and wait for the activation screen first, but it is pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

when my 722 acted up, it was replaced with the 722K. I thought that this was supposed to be a better unit...........but as many have stated the 722k has problems locking up if the ota module is installed. no idea why this happens.......just be aware

when my 722 acted up, it was replaced with the 722K. I thought that this was supposed to be a better unit...........but as many have stated the 722k has problems locking up if the ota module is installed. no idea why this happens.......just be aware

As one sample point only I will say I have never had my 722K lock up and it has the OTA modual and I have had it over 2 years.

If it was just a plain, old Hard Dish failure this is probably okay. But there a lot of problems that can take place in a system that are actually attributed to bad LNBs, a poor mount, bad cabling/fittings/barrells etc. Never hurts to keep that tech visit.

My RSP covers two states and we do NOT carry 722s. Dish sends us ONLY 722k. Every 722 is a refurb where we get new and refurbed 722k. My company will waive to cost of an OTA module for you IF you already had an antenna hooked up to the OTA in on your 722.

If it was just a plain, old Hard Dish failure this is probably okay. But there a lot of problems that can take place in a system that are actually attributed to bad LNBs, a poor mount, bad cabling/fittings/barrells etc. Never hurts to keep that tech visit.

My RSP covers two states and we do NOT carry 722s. Dish sends us ONLY 722k. Every 722 is a refurb where we get new and refurbed 722k. My company will waive to cost of an OTA module for you IF you already had an antenna hooked up to the OTA in on your 722.

Yup, the technician just left our place about an hour ago, and he said they only get the 722K from Dish anymore... if I wanted the 722 he said I'd have to send it back to Dish which would mean another 5+ days of delay which given we've already been without a receiver for over a week now just wasn't something I wanted to do. I ended up going with the 722K just to get us back up again, so I'll contact MaryB and see what she can do about getting us the OTA module.

Thanks --

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)