DVR or Digital Sound?

skiz77

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
I just got 3 rooms hooked up, two rooms have the 322(2nd & 3rd Floor) and one room has the 510(1st floor). I love the DVR feature, works a lot better than I expected.

I was orignally supposed to get the 522 and one 301 instead of what I have, but the 301 doesn't have a digital output. My only installation option was to put the dual on the 2nd floor because my basement walls are cement on outside so he had to use the existing wire down there. Drilling on the 2nd floor was not a problem. This presented a dilemma because my home theater is in the basement and I wanted a receiver with a digital out in the basement. The 301 and 311 do not have the dig. out. I had to settle with a 510 in the basement and 322 upstairs.

Thinking about it now, I really wish I had the DVR in the upstairs two rooms. By having a 510 and 322 instead of a 522 and 301, I also lose the picture in picture function not to mention DVR on two tv's for the same price as one.

If you had the same issue, what would you chose?

Would you stick with the 522 and have two rooms with DVR and say screw it to having a receiver with a digital output hooked up to your home theater....

Or would you be happy with the 322 and have digital sound in the basement with the 510? As you know only certain movies are even recorded in Dolby Digital so sometimes the digital output doesn't do sh%t.

Also, does DISH have a plan where you can exchange your equipment in the first 10-15 days at no cost if not satisfied with your setup?

I have my 508 hooked up via optical but the only time i hear DD 5.1 is when watching a ppv movie (i don't have any movie channels), so really it's a waste 99.9% of the time.

I have HBO and SHO so I might be able to find one once in a while. Last night I found one movie with full Dolby.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts