DVR over the Internet?

dlarruso

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
I thought I heard one time that TIVO either had or was developing a system where, say I was visiting my parents in Idaho (I’m in Arizona), for vacation and I’m there and there is going to be an address by the President to the nation that night (not something usually scheduled), and I want to record it back home. I could log onto some kind of DVR account on the internet and manage my schedule and recording from there. Is Dish going to have anything like this in the future or am I dreaming?

That would be replaytv
http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/dvr/5500/features.asp

Looks like they are doing things right. You can program from the internet. Stream to other DVR's in the house, That would be nice for me because I have 8 DVR's with shows scattered all over the place. Too bad Dish didn't buy them out. It will probably be a long time before we see these kinds of things on any Dish DVR

Damn Scott, now I am going to spend the day checking the website rather than working

Scott Greczkowski said:
Stay on the lookout, tommorow I will be showing you how you can watch and control your Dish Network DVR over the Internet. :)

John Walsh said:
That would be replaytv
http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/dvr/5500/features.asp

Looks like they are doing things right. You can program from the internet. Stream to other DVR's in the house, That would be nice for me because I have 8 DVR's with shows scattered all over the place. Too bad Dish didn't buy them out. It will probably be a long time before we see these kinds of things on any Dish DVR
and stream from and archive to Pc's... I have one hooked to E* hd, one the D* hd and have one I use like a server along with any of my pc's ( I rotate 2 out of the 3 about every 2 weeks) ... you can also get from and send programs to other Replay owners..

John Walsh said:
Damn Scott, now I am going to spend the day checking the website rather than working
John your a Pub Member, head on over there and check it out I posted it there in advance for our supporters to view first. :D

Thanks Scott. I had read it when you first posted it but I think you had only tried cable at that point. The posts about XTV had me thinking of other things.

That looks like it could be really cool

I think eventually as broadband speeds increase more and more and hard drive space continues to increase more and more, we could be able to DVR our shows by connecting it to the internet and let a server do the DVR functions. This would allow you to watch any of your recorded shows from anywhere and delete them as if you was home. I heard of another device that would allow you to do this if you was away from home. If IPTV ever becomes the norm then this would not even be needed as you would just access any show at any time using the computer to do the DVR functionality.

DirecTivo (and maybe SA Tivo as well?) has been able to be programmed via the Internet for a while now. The SBC Dish Media Portal (or whatever they'll call it IF it's released) will have that capability as well, along with streaming video across your home netwrok, amongst other cool things.

I'm curious to see John Walsh's reply on this thread about controlling your receiver via the internet. What is a pub member?

I have an 811 hooked up to an MCE box and I can schedule recordings over the internet using MSN Remote Record. It works very well.

burchis said:
What is a pub member?
A supporter to SatelliteGuys. You get access to the "Pub Memebers Bar and Grill" forum where we get some insider information from time to time, vent about a variety of topics, and get advance reviews of new technology.

burchis said:
I'm curious to see John Walsh's reply on this thread about controlling your receiver via the internet. What is a pub member?

Basically I can't wait to get my hands on this unit. I have cable tv here in my office and I could dump it with this and use my Satellite from home and watch over my computer. I have a tv at work to watch CNBC (of course I switch over to watch sports once in a while like I have been for the Tour de France every morning this month).

From Scott's review it looks like a great unit although it could use a few additionaly features. I am really impressed with some of the over IP technology we have seen lately like XTV and the sling box. We should be seeing a lot of neat applications for these technologies in the near future. I don't have much use for the XTV myself but what a great idea.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Stay on the lookout, tommorow I will be showing you how you can watch and control your Dish Network DVR over the Internet. :)
Today is tomorrow! Where's the demonstration? :rolleyes:

I read the review for the slingbox and it looks very promising. It could have many uses such as home monitoring (like x10) only going a step further by controlling what you watch on tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)