DVR reccomendation for new customer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

claus

Original poster
Feb 26, 2005
I'm currently subscribing to the GermanTV channel on GlobeCast but the channel is transfering to Dish Network. Apparently we can trade our existing receiver for a free dish receiver. However, I'm pondering to get a DVR even if I have to pay a little bit on top of it.

I'm thinking of getting the German language package which consists of two channels and thus was thinking of getting a DVR that has two tuners so that I'll never encounter recording issues should I like to record/view programs on the two channels at the same time. I might get very occasionally a pay-per-view movie if I'm allowed. Other than that I'll only receive the local stations via antenna and don't have any desire to subscribe to additional channels.

I see that Dish Network currently offers the 522, 721, and 921 although I'm not planning on utelizing HDTV. It sounds like the 522 still doesn't support the "singel user mode" thus its probably a less interesting to me. Especially since I mainly only watch on one TV (although with my current setup I have composite video running to my commuter and another TV for occasional "signal forwarding"). Which one of those receiver do you think would fit my bill the best? I'm thinking it might be the 721. How about the bugginess of these receiver?

Another question is: "Am I crazy for wanting a dual tuner receiver for two channels?" Should I rather get a singel tuner DVR. (which one?)

And finally should I purchase/rent it through Dish Network or do I get better deals by buying the receiver somewhere else?

Oh, one more question, are the guides good enough to justify a Dish Network DVR instead of a stand alone digital video recorder that doesn't have an integrated Dish Network receiver.

The 522 can work in both dual and single mode. It is simply a matter of pushing the button on the front of the receiver. In single mode it works like the 721 with pip functions except it has nbr functionality. I have one and I mainly use it in dual mode so my son can watch in his room and my wife can watch in the master bedroom. I have heard the 942 works the same except it can record 3 tuners; 2 satellite/one ota. I only wish it was in mpeg4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)