DVR recording list?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

madisonmom

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
New Hopper with Sling installation over the weekend. So far, I love it. PTAT is the bomb.

I wonder if there us a way to see recordings as a list instead of app-like visual tiles?

If you go into your DVR folder you can change the view to display Folder by Title and then enter a folder with multiple events and they will be displayed in list view. I'm not sure I ever quite understood why everyone wants a list view so bad. Is it because their TV's are relatively small and things are hard to read? I personally like the thumbnails because I think it looks nice and its easy to identify what show it is by just looking at the picture.

I'm not sure I ever quite understood why everyone wants a list view so bad. Is it because their TV's are relatively small and things are hard to read? .
Because you could edit ALL shows and folders (once exploded) from one, long list. Saved a lot of time and steps.

Because you could edit ALL shows and folders (once exploded) from one, long list. Saved a lot of time and steps.

Yep this is the main reason. Also, not everyone has HDTVs in every room of the house.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Also, because a long alphabetized list of title names is faster to scan through up and down looking for a particular title than a block of thumbnails going left to right and top to bottom.

Do you prefer icon views of your folders/files on your computer compared to list view? Especially when there are a large number of items? :eek:

You can go into the DVR folder on a Hopper and hit edit and Select All and then Delete everything if you wanted to. Also, since the addition of the recycle bin, there is no longer a confirmation message when deleting events from the DVR folder, so its extremely efficient and fast. All you need to do is highlight the folder or event and hit the blue key and its gone. With a list view on VIP models you can go through and go into EDIT mode and put a little purple mark next to the ones you want to delete from the list, but you can do that just as easily on the Hopper. Just go into EDIT mode on the Hopper and start arrowing down and press Select on the events you want to delete which will put a check mark on them and keep moving. I can do this just as fast on a Hopper as I can on a 722 if not faster.

No, I don't like the folder view on my PC, I prefer the list. I like the new UI on the Hopper and the guide having logos and icons and the DVR folders showing thumbnails because its more pleasing to my eyes and when guests come over and they see my TV and DVR list they usually say "wow, that looks really cool and is way easier to use and than my current TV box." Since the Hopper is really quick and responsive, I personally hit the page down button a few times quickly to get to the bottom of the My Recordings page. Everyone has their own preference but I guess I just don't see the benefit of having a list view other than just having the option.

Last edited:
The benefit is just the same as detail view in Windows. Makes it a lot easier to find what you're looking for by title rather than by a picture. Plus as I said on non-HDTVs it's better.

Another thing that would be nice, is showing the original air date in the description (like on 722,) rather than having to hit INFO to see.

I can see the issue with non HD TV's or it not being that easy to read on a small TV. I have a 65' and 32' inch so I dont' really have that problem. As far as finding things easier, you do still have the sort option and you can sort by DVR Date or A-Z which is what I do when I'm looking for something. I set it to A-Z and hit page down a few times until I get into right letter section and then I have 15 tiles listed which is easy for me to see and identify. I can read both the words under the tiles and I can recognize the picture on the tile. Doesn't having have a list of words only make it harder to read on a smaller TV? I would think that if you have a hard time reading the words under the tiles or making out the picture on the tiles themselves, then you would have an even harder time reading words that are in a list. I know on my PC when I'm in a folder that I have set in list view, if the folder has a lot of items in it, I sometimes read the wrong line or have a hard time not clicking on the wrong thing if I'm in a hurry.

By far, since they fixed the edit functionality (which btw still needs fixed in the EHD transfer menu) things are better. People just have different preferences/needs and I wouldn't think it would be that hard for Dish to include a list view option. That way everyone's happy :) .

Having to scan with your eyes in both horizontal and vertical directions makes it slower. Doesn't matter if the TV is HD or not, or how big the TV is.

I also hated when Netflix and Hulu went to tiles instead of lists as well in their Browse Selection pages.

Different strokes for different folks:D
I like having all the folders by title and I use my PC at work when I want to do house keeping. Real easy to delete recordings online.

I also hated when Netflix and Hulu went to tiles instead of lists as well in their Browse Selection pages.
I know this is a DISH forum, but I totally agree here. My Hopper is coming on Saturday, so we'll see how the transition from the 722 goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts