DVR recording question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KyDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 3, 2003
Kentucky
I have a 622 and was curious about how something works.

I have a program from Disney Channel that I record for the kids. It has about 3 seasons of shows (and is still being made). I figured I could set it up to RECORD ALL and not have to worry about it ever repeating a recording.

I assumed that if it ever recorded an episode that it would never schedule it again, even if I later deleted it off of the DVR. I thought it maintained in its history what episodes it has already successfully recorded.

But some episodes that we have already recorded and deleted appear to be getting scheduled again later. Now maybe something is slightly different about the episode description but I didn't think it was supposed to work this way.

Does anyone know for sure how it is supposed to handle RECORD ALL with episodes that it has already recorded but later deleted?

Once you delete a program from the DVR, it "forgets" that it recorded it and yes, it will record it a 2nd, 3rd, and so on time. It does keep a history log of things to a small degree but not to the extent that you want/need.

I could see a downside of this in that what if you wanted it to record an episode again ? It would skip it because it remembers recording it before and you might not catch it in the list as being "skipped".

Hmmm, interesting. Bad assumption on my part. Thanks, Hall. I may change the timer to NEW and once a week just have them tell me which episodes they have not seen yet and unskip them.

I would probably leave it at ALL and then tell it to skip vs the other way around.

You know what might be easier ?? Go rent the DVD ! :D

Hmmm, interesting. Bad assumption on my part. Thanks, Hall. I may change the timer to NEW and once a week just have them tell me which episodes they have not seen yet and unskip them.

if you do NEW - with stuff like Suite Life, Drake and Josh, or Naked Brothers Band (I know these because my son records them religiously), your kids will get just one per week at best.

We do a timer for NEW and then pick a time when a show is on weekly or daily, and just record those -- we end up deleting and skipping a lot, but it gives him enough to watch.

And the problem with Record ALL is that sometimes that might get 15 or 20 recordings in a week - and depending on priority, might cause you to miss something YOU want to record. :D

And the problem with Record ALL is that sometimes that might get 15 or 20 recordings in a week - and depending on priority, might cause you to miss something YOU want to record.
He needs to record ALL if he wants to catch earlier season episodes. I presume that's what he wants when he mentioned "It has about 3 seasons of shows (and is still being made)."

Two things that will help, one can be time-consuming, the other a one-time thing. The easy one: Set the timer to start on-time and end on-time instead of the default 1-min early, 3-min late setting. The harder one: After setting this new timer, check *your* shows to see if any got skipped. First, any that were already created shouldn't get skipped "by priority" as they will have a lower # (higher priority). Any timers you create later though will need to keep an eye on. If they're skipped, see why. If it's because of this Disney timer, I know what I'd do.... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)