Dvr recording question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tigress

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Maybe this has been asked before, but I am wondering, if a show is set to record, and it goes over its time, will it keep on recording, or do I have to record the program following it as well?

Tonight, its the Grey's Anatomy finale. It runs from 8 p.m cst to 9:15 p.m. Will the DVR record the entire program, or quit at 9? I don't want to miss a minute of this show, so anyone who knows the answer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Some shows though for whatever reason always run 1-2 minutes overtime yet the guide does not reflect this. The DVR would not pick this up since the guide doesn't reflect it and you'd miss that last minute or two.

Some shows though for whatever reason always run 1-2 minutes overtime yet the guide does not reflect this. The DVR would not pick this up since the guide doesn't reflect it and you'd miss that last minute or two.

If you notice this is the case on the shows you want to record, you can extend the over time using the Options button on the Timer Event screen.

Yes, and this is the fault of the broadcaster (TV channel), and not Dish. While History Channel is always on the money, and National Geographic within 5 seconds of perfection, some of the worst offenders of--purposely--running late are MTV (they even start minutes EARLY) and Fox and ABC during their live American Idol and Dancing with the stars (ABC and FOX KNOW what they area doing; they do it on purpose). NBC has fooled around with start times for special episodes of The Office, but started late--by design. However, the vast, vast majority of channels (including, ironically, NBC with The Office at its regular time) air the shows with great punctuality matching the start and end times on the EPG. All my MTV timers have a 2 minutes start early and an end 3 minutes late so that back to back programs get recorded in their entirety. But that takes up two tuners at the same time for about 5 minutes. Otherwise, I would miss the beginning of the second show because it was recorded on the previous timer. Make sense? I thought not.

Note that none of the above applies during football season (sometimes golf too). For instance, for much of the year I just record CBS from 7:00 p.m. through CSI Miami (though I will never watch that show), which I think ends here at 12:35 a.m. There were two instances where Without A Trace extended through the news and into what would have been CSI Miami.

There is one thing I dislike about DVR. If the station mess up the schedule airing a show 5 minutes later and end later, the DVR will cut off the ending or beginning.

It's not the DVR's fault, any other technology is going to have the same problem, unless you are there to babysit it, or pad the timers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)