DVR service charge question

cloudy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Zimmerman, MN
Just a quick question (with probably way too much follow up). Does Dish charge the 5.98 DVR Service charge for each reciever you have, or just 5.98 total per month? The reason I ask, is that part of why I stay on the AE package, is bacause I know it voids the service charge. However, if it's only charged 5.98/month total, I may just say F-it and drop down to Classic Bronze Plus, and a couple movie channels. I think when we are getting to $140-150/month just to watch tv, we may be getting just a bit TOO dependent on our TV watching habits. I've got more than enough content on my DVR and EHD. And I certainly don't need a hundred channels of MUSIC?!?

Per #'s of DVRs (less one if you have DVR Advantage, now called With DVR).

Guess I'll be sticking with AE then. From what I can tell on Direct Tv's site, There's is only charged at 5.98/month regardless of # of boxes. Oh well. I can not change to D, I need to stick around so I can get my hands on a 922 some day. That thing looks awesome.

How many DVRs do you have that going from $140-150/mo for AEP all the way down to Classic Bronze is not going to save a crap load of money?
AEP isn't $140-150 per month first off, If your paying that , your getting Ripped off.;)
Americas Everything pack with HD ,DVR and Locals.
Is only $112.98.
With 3 VIP 722k's
That only adds another $14
For a Total of $126.98

Add Multi Sports pack for $5.99
$131.97
Playboy TV is only $7 extra with AEP, so that only adds up too
$138.97.

So from $126.98 Per month for myself to drop down to classic Bronze would be ::

$54.99 Classic Bronze 100 HD, 1 DVR fee and Locals. 3 VIP 722's
$12 addtional HD DVR
$12 addtional HD DVR
Would Cost $78.99.
Not bad, But Now I would have went from 90 + national ,local,and RSNs HD channels
To 42 HD channels with NO RSNs
Not to mention the 150+ SD channels I would have lost going from AEP--- Classic Bronze.
I guess it Just depends on what $48 Per month means to you in savings
I'd rather spend the extra $48 for AEP and have variety.:)

Variety is nice, but if you are anything like me you watch very few of the available channels.

I have the Classic Silver 200 package and truly doubt if I watch 50, of the 200 plus channels available to me. There are 1 or 2 other channels I would watch if they were in my package, but it's not worth it to me to pay the extra bucks for the next higher package just to get those 2 channels.

Everyone has their own pain point for price vs. services. That's always been the strong selling point for Dish. They give more options on the low end vs. Cable and D* starting you off with more channels for more cash. Personally, all the channels I watch are in the bronze package, so that's what I pay for...nothing else. It also makes me a loyal Dish customer.

What if you currently have a DVR receiver (VIP622) and no longer use or find use for the DVR. What are you options? Can you still use the receiver somehow? What will Dish do if you cancel your DVR service when you have a DVR receiver? Can they disable DVR in a DVR capable receiver?

I am asking because my Grandma has one and I am not sure whether she will use it or not...and I want to know my options.

What if you currently have a DVR receiver (VIP622) and no longer use or find use for the DVR. What are you options? Can you still use the receiver somehow? What will Dish do if you cancel your DVR service when you have a DVR receiver? Can they disable DVR in a DVR capable receiver?

I am asking because my Grandma has one and I am not sure whether she will use it or not...and I want to know my options.

If you have the box, you get charged the fee. To my knowledge they have no way of remotely disabling the DVR functionality on one box. If the Tivo suit goes wrong, they may have to disable a whole lot of boxes with a firmware update or something; but that's not something they'd send out to one box so that someone can avoid the fee.

What if you were to switch the box with a non DVR box (and just sell the 622 or put it in the closet)? Could you escape the fee that way?

If you have the box, you get charged the fee. To my knowledge they have no way of remotely disabling the DVR functionality on one box. If the Tivo suit goes wrong, they may have to disable a whole lot of boxes with a firmware update or something; but that's not something they'd send out to one box so that someone can avoid the fee.

Not only can Dish disable all DVR capability on any of its DVR's, but it can even disable the "skip ahead 30 seconds" feature. This was stated in public filings some years ago. The ability to disable the "skip ahead 30 seconds" feature was cited as a possible outcome should content owners demand it, by a lawsuit, that is.

However, Dish will not selectively deactivate DVR functionality because a customer no longer wants to use the DVR functions of the box. So, this individual will have to call Dish to find out if they are required to have the DVR on the account during the commitment period.

You can put a larger "approved" hard drive in a 501/508 and make it a "510" with no fee.

Or, you can get a ViP211 and put an external HD on it, pay the $40 per account enabling fee and have an HD DVR with no fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)