DVR SOLOUTION - For VOOM on your MAC

gross67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 6, 2004
Indiana
Hey gang,

I recently purchased Elgato's EyeTvWonder USB for my iMac G5. It was $150 and is a terrific PVR option for the MAC/VOOM users. I can record VOOM but only is SD. Elgato makes a HD product as well EyeTV500 for $349. A dual processor G5 is required for the highest quality recordin. Not only can you record, you can edit and archive (To DVD/CD) your favorite programs. I have had this for a week and from what I have experienced, this is a quality product. The guide is provided by TitanTV and provides scheduled or on the fly recording.

Does anyone else have this? What are your thoughts?

gross67,

I am buying the iMac G5 20", due to be delivered sometime next week, and I have been wondering the same thing. I have a PC with TV capture card now and love it, so a good solution for the Mac is the first thing (besides a memory upgrade) that I will be considering. There is also an Evolution TV external box available that will record in Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 that is around $250 that sounds good, as well. Please let us know how you like yours, so I can make a better decision. Isn't the one you bought the same as the ATI product? How well does the software work on the Mac? Like you, I would be interested in the HD product, however, from what I can tell on the website, it does not have HD input capability; just OTA HD. What a shame. Thanks for the post.

Ty2083

I haven't looked at any other product other than EyeTV. And yes, I believe the ATIWonder is not an Elgato Product - but the software is - it's been packaged and bundled. The other EyeTV boxes have remotes and are nicer looking than the ATI "encased" card. As far as HD input, this is done via FIREWIRE and, I believe, is indeed HD quality (Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.) HD video cameras use firewire. The cable inputs are for an HD antenna or non encrypted cable. I am going to keep an Eye (Pun intended) on EyeTV 500 for a few months and see what people are saying. I love the basic AtiWonder version and would buy the HD version if it turns out to be a quality product.

If the rumors are correct, Apple will soon be a powerhouse in the HD reproduction/supply business? (Hmmmm.... Could there be an apple Movie Store in the future?)

Cheers,

James

I have the iMac 20" and was curious about getting the same system but am unsure on its usage. Does this mean that we watch the playback on the iMac? Is there a way to transmit it back into the TV ? (of course it would be SD but at least we get to see the program...).

on a side note: I got a 512 memory chip on ebay for cheap ($65 if I remember) from someone that had bought two 1 mb memory chips and had this extra. It ended up being a good deal and works fine.

Completely off topic but still dealing with the iMac, I was hoping to set up the iMac to my TV so I could use my HDTV as a second monitor. Unfortunately the two systems are in completely different rooms. I can run cable via the crawlspace to connect the two but the draw back is my bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse don't have the reach to make this system work. Any suggestions? One would think they may have come up with a bluetooth house repeater or something but I haven't come across anything like this...

Bilodeaumj ,

You can send the signal back to the TV - check out Apples Website - they have various cables that will work with different inputs. If you get the very system I have AtiWonder Eye TV, I am not so sure it will look very good on the TV. The only way to record at a decent rate for large screen playback is to have a G5 with dual processors. My playback on the monitor (20" iMac G5 at full screen is not good. The smaller sizes look very good - including the VOOM recordings. I am going to upgrade my memory to a GIG and see if that helps on screen playback/recordings a bit. You can even capture playback from a DVD player or VCR - I've done the DVD bit and it looks great.

As to your keyboard problem, I can only suggest a really long USB cable and a wired keyboard. :)

gross67 said:
Ty2083
As far as HD input, this is done via FIREWIRE and, I believe, is indeed HD quality (Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.) HD video cameras use firewire.
James

Correct me if I am wrong, but to capture HD via firewire, a guy doesn't need a $350 capture card-he just needs a computer with a firewire port and some software. Voom doesn't have a firewire output anyway.

--Dan

dankgus said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but to capture HD via firewire, a guy doesn't need a $350 capture card-he just needs a computer with a firewire port and some software. Voom doesn't have a firewire output anyway.

--Dan

Dan,

The $350 gets you a box with a remote, and the Eye TV software which is very useful indeed. I don't believe the HD signal is captured via firewire - but it is delivered to the MAC this way. For details and spec sheets, visit www.elgato.com.

My posts are based on the poduct I bought (EyeTV Wonder), and the claims made in their product descriptions. The EyeTV Wonder is a good product and I suspect the EyeTV 500 that supports HDTV is a good product as well.

Cheers,

James

You can't capture HD from Voom with it. There is no way to input an HD signal from Voom to the EyeTV. Your only option is to convert the Component output to SDI, and then use an SDI capture card like the Blackmagic series to grab it. With a vry powerful Dual Mac G5, it's possible but will require about $3,000 in additional hardware and software.

-MP

MP,

Thanks for the info - Are other DVR/Receiver's ready to go with firewire? I know that HD Video cameras are. That makes an active firewire connection on VOOM something I would like then. At any rate, the basic product is good, and with a dual processor machine you can get a decent sized picture with very good PQ. My voom feed is via RCA audio/video cable - my cable feed is directly through the cable - HD content still looks better to me when recorded.

Cheers,
James

Yes, cable companies these days have firewire capable boxes. They are the only ones. You can also have a D* or E* receiver modified after market to allow firewire output. This option does not exist for the Voom receiver due to the architecture. At one point the Voom DVR was supposed to have firewire, but then they backed off that promise :(. I agree with you, HD content when recorded to a 480 signal is still superior to standard TV. It's why I use my Replays with Voom.