DVR "special program" for charter members?

jnardone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Hi:
Now that VOOM is going to stick around and we can expect the DVR to be released on time in March, are charter members still going to receive the "special program" on the DVR that were promised over a year ago?

At the time, some thought we would get our purchased receivers swapped for the DVR receiver while others thought we would receive only a discount on the purchase of the DVR. This was before VOOM started to offer equipment leases and then forbid customers combining owned and leased equipment on one account.

Assuming VOOM is going to have to offer a lease on the DVR (since cable companies do the same), where does that leave charter members? - Are we going to be forced to purchase the DVR while everyone else gets to lease it?

March is only three weeks away.

Good question, Joe. I wonder how many charter members are left? I know there are about 6 or 7 who still post in this forum, but we are in a very distinct minority.

But I agree with riff about the prospect of buying the new DVR if the price is reasonable. I'd like for the 'charter member' to actually prove out to be of benefit when the new hardware comes out.

I realize I am not a charter member in the same sense as you guys (purchased in March of last year) but I am still an owner, and was promised at the time special considerations for the DVR that included trading in our old receivers at a discount or something like that.

-MP

Guess we'll find out when the "time" comes.

Still watching HDTV (since Dec.'03) under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

I am a charter member. I would love to find out what kind of "deal" charter members will get on the DVR before March. Reason being I am debating if I should cancel and resign up with a lease to get in on the 3 rooms for $1 promotion that ends in March. I just bought a new house and I want more recievers.

No response yet, but here's what I sent:

Customer (Stone) - 02/12/2005 10:53 AM
I purchased my HD receiver in January 2004. It has worked flawlessly since day
1. I'm very interested in the DVR when it is supposed to come out next month.
Is there a trade-in program for existing subscribers who own their STB? Will I
be able to lease it instead of having to buy it?

Im just hoping a Dvr comes out with a rental option. March is coming kind of fast and I would be shocked if things arent delayed.

No info from e-mail request...........
Pasted below:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
I purchased my HD receiver in January 2004. It has worked flawlessly since da...

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (William M.) - 02/14/2005 11:09 AM
Thank you for choosing VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

We are currently finalizing our testing and production of our HD-DVR. The release
date and pricing have not been currently set . While we currently do not have
any information of upgrade or trade in options, I am sure that we will have something
for our loyal customers.
I recommend that you sign up for email updates on our website, so that when this
information becomes available, you will be notified.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us again.
Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in High Definition programming!

Adrianne F.
VOOM Email Support

Ok, so this sucks... I have been loyal customer since Nov 2003 and one my STB and dish etc. However I just moved to a new house, and don't know whether I should spend the money to move my current equipment, or start a new and get in on the 3 rooms for 1 buck each that ends in March. The big risk is if they discount the DVR substantially for charter members... vs the leasing members.

I am very excited that VOOM looks like its sticking around but now I have this decision.

Yes, an immediate decision is tough.
I suppose you could weigh the option to wait and see and then do a temporary option like cable or other satellite service that doesn't require you to sign a long term contract.
Dish has a pretty good deal going for new subscribers that you may want to consider for the interim just so you can get the DVR functionality.

I can live without the DVR functionality. I haven't had it yet, I can go a little bit longer without it. To me its a matter of getting a bad deal. If they are going to upgrade charter members who own their boxes for free or extremely cheap ($100 or less) vs $10-$15 per month to lease a DVR then I would stay as a charter member. But if they say we will sell it to you for $700 instead of the normal $850 we are going to charge new subscribers then I would prefer to lease and get the extra 2 rooms installed for $1.

I can just see myself getting burned int he end and second guessing my decision.

Does anyone really think VOOM will provide a lease option???
Why should they? D* and E* are doing just fine w/o it and raising tons of money. (something VOOM needs way more then they do...Leasing it to users at $10 a month won't pay the bills)
Here's my guess... $799 to buy for new or current subs....
That's a good competive price. Besides, most people that can afford an HDTV can afford it anyway if they really want it now.

Yeah, but for those of us who have been holding back from V* until they get a DVR, we probably will not go that route if we have to pay a fee like that since it would be cheaper to lease from someone else.

I know that he HD content from V* can't be matched, but that it is not the ONLY thing that is hinging my decision to move to them. It is a combination of the content and the DVR. Otherwise I would have already taken them up on the $1 offer.

most people say the dvr will be out in June

jnardone said:
Hi:
Now that VOOM is going to stick around and we can expect the DVR to be released on time in March, are charter members still going to receive the "special program" on the DVR that were promised over a year ago?

At the time, some thought we would get our purchased receivers swapped for the DVR receiver while others thought we would receive only a discount on the purchase of the DVR. This was before VOOM started to offer equipment leases and then forbid customers combining owned and leased equipment on one account.

Assuming VOOM is going to have to offer a lease on the DVR (since cable companies do the same), where does that leave charter members? - Are we going to be forced to purchase the DVR while everyone else gets to lease it?

March is only three weeks away.

I would believe they would give you a choice

If they DON'T offer a lease option, then I'll probably be gone at the end of my current commitment. That will be a very bad business decision, IMO ;)

Well, yes and no. If you buy the equipment and a warranty is included, they are obligated to provide you service for the length of the warranty or they are liable for the equipment costs. This was already discussed in another forum.

I don't really care about their warranty. I don't want to invest $500-900 in a box that will most likely be obsolete within 12mos, for what I'm looking for at least.

Lob :)

voomster2 said:
Does anyone really think VOOM will provide a lease option???

Of course they will offer the lease option. They have to to stay viable. My cable company is offering a HDDVR for $10/mo. I'd be with them in a heart beat if I wasn't hooked on the VOOM originals and my daily habit of visiting this web site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)