DVR Telephone numbers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

discovery37v

Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I bought a DVR R10 tivo. It needs to call in. I am a fulltime RVer and do not always have access to a phone line. When I do and I am not in a local calling area and the number is long distance, then I have to use my calling card. Hard to do with the tivo.
Is there an 800 number that can be dialed instead?

You really DON'T need to be worrying about this - the D-Tivo's all work just fine w/out a phone line connection. The guide info comes from the dish & the ONLY thing you loose w/out a phone line is ordering PPV by remote.
The only thing you'll get is a nag screen once a day, which you can skip right over w/out any problems - do a search on this board & you'll see many folks that have never had their D-Tivo's on phone lines.

Enter 877 or 866 as your area code in the setup menu and R10 will give you toll free number as an option. Also, dishrich is correct, other than the nag screen, you will not have problems not being connected to the phone line.

Al

True, but after about two years of not connecting my Tivo to a phone line, is was extremely slow. It would take about a minute and half to get to the now playing screen. As soon as I connected it and had it make the call, performance was back to where it should be. And yes, I was deleting the messages regularly.

code4code5 said:
True, but after about two years of not connecting my Tivo to a phone line, is was extremely slow. It would take about a minute and half to get to the now playing screen. As soon as I connected it and had it make the call, performance was back to where it should be.

What software were you on BEFORE you connected the phone line? If you were NOT on 6.2 before, when you connected the phone line, it "activated" the 6.2 release onto your box, which provided for improved speed issues & of which was one of the main reasons for this particular software upgrade.

Even though this software upgrade was downloaded thru your dish, it still required a phone call to "activate" it. Since it is very unlikely D* will be doing anymore software updates to these boxes, as long as you have 6.2 on your box now, you should NOT have any software issues for the foreseeable future & not having a phone line will not affect your speed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)