DVR TIME LEFT ON 922

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jimmerinwi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Midwest
I have a question regarding record time on the 922. I just installed this a week ago. Does it ever tell you how many hours and minutes HD/SD left?? The one I have only shows like percentage of hard drive space left. I guess i'm too used to the 722k that showed hours remaining. Maybe I have a lemon. When I took this from my van to install it, it was obvious that it was old stock, it only had a tv1 remote, back from when they only controlled one tv. Had to have my boss drop a tv2 remote off the next day. I always get the junk!!! Any input would be appreciated.

I have a question regarding record time on the 922. ... The one I have only shows like percentage of hard drive space left. I guess i'm too used to the 722k that showed hours remaining. ...

The times reported on my ViP 612 and 622 before that were so far off that's of little value (same with earlier receiver times too). For example, my ViP 612 showed had a total of 30 HD hours. With 50 hours on the receiver's internal drive it showed 16 hours remaining! Based on that and my estimate of storage required (!~1.8 GB/hour) the 612 has more like 90 hours available.

Dish Remote Access shows HD/SD time remaining but it's no more accurate than the numbers shown on other receivers: With ~6.5 hours of HD on the internal drive, DRA reports 111 HD hours remaining. Dish Online and the receiver report the drive is 2% full so that implies about 320 hours available.

The media transfer menu shows how much space is remaining in GB. In my case there is 488 GB out of 500 GB so my 6.5 hours use 12 GB. That implies 270 hours total storage or 264 hours remaining.

So do the math yourself for any meaningful figure.

The % free isn't particularly useful for someone like me who records more than can be watched in order to have something during the dry spells. I've hit 92% several times, maybe even 94% once. Does anyone know how full it can be before recordings start getting dumped? My experience with the 921 and 622 suggest it's less than 100%.

Media transfer shows the GB of free space on the source and target drives but not the GB selected for transfer, making it hard to know if you're trying to move too much. Fortunately I haven't run into that problem yet.

If you have access to "Dish Remote Access" (the infamous Sling technology) you can visit "My DVR" in the drop down menus, and to the lower left you will be able to see SD hours and minutes along with HD remaining hours and minutes. Why this is not available through the 922 unit is anyones guess......it may be there but I don't remember seeing it.

The % free isn't particularly useful for someone like me who records more than can be watched in order to have something during the dry spells. I've hit 92% several times, maybe even 94% once. Does anyone know how full it can be before recordings start getting dumped? My experience with the 921 and 622 suggest it's less than 100%.

As I understand it, the DVR will delete a program when a new one begins recording if there isn't sufficient space. No clue what it uses to make that determination as the time calculation is so inaccurate. Still 2% remaining on a 922 should be more than enough space for a couple 2-hour programs.

Media transfer shows the GB of free space on the source and target drives but not the GB selected for transfer, making it hard to know if you're trying to move too much.
It would be nice for the receiver to show time and GB selected with a warning of the transfer would fill up the target before the transfer begins.

I doubt any material would be lost if the target fills up before all transfers are complete.

The amount of space required to store an hour of HD or SD varies greatly by the amount of compression applied to the broadcast show. The external drive program listing on my old VIP 622 used to show the size of each recorded show in MB's. I noticed that multiple shows on the drive with the exact same running time could vary in size by hundreds of MB's. I also noticed that HD movies I recorded the first month they are available (on STARZ) are considerably larger files than the exact same HD movie recorded months later on one of the other STARZ channels. I suspect the newer releases are less compressed? My point is that the amount of remaining record time on your hard drive is dependent on the size programs you record. Since there isn't an exact match between file size and running time. It's nearly impossible to make more than a rough educated guess about the amount of recording time remaining on a hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts