DVR Transfer

V8SHO

Original poster
May 20, 2005
I had to swap out my 625 with a new one yesterday. Is there anyway to transfer a recording from my old 625 to my new 625

If you've never built a PC, and / or don't consider yourself the adventurous type when it comes to tech gear then it's probably best not to mess with it.

V8SHO said:
I had to swap out my 625 with a new one yesterday. Is there anyway to transfer a recording from my old 625 to my new 625
When you swap entire units you can't transfer the recorded programming because each unit has a unique code so that the programming is only usable on the unit that created it.

The only way to transfer the programming would be the swap the hard drive in the same unit. This would void your warranty of course. You would need a Linux system and be comfortable with computer hardware and software. The drive would have to correctly partitioned then Linux OS would have to be transferred to the new drive and finally the last partition containing the recorded programs would be transferred. Some people that use Windows may use "Ghost" which is a image transfer application. Bare in mind that if your drive is truly corrupted there may be no point in attempting this.

The best way to transfer programs without voiding your warranty is to offload your programs to VHS or DVD using your s-video connection. However people with the 921/942 would loose their HD picture quality for those shows. Again this probably should be done before your unit bites the dust.

jergenf said:
When you swap entire units you can't transfer the recorded programming because each unit has a unique code so that the programming is only usable on the unit that created it.

Currently not true of the 522, and doubtful it applies to the 625 since there's virtually no difference between the two.

jergenf said:
...The drive would have to correctly partitioned then Linux OS would have to be transferred to the new drive and finally the last partition containing the recorded programs would be transferred....

There is no Linux OS partition on the 522 / 625.

phat_bastard said:
Currently not true of the 522, and doubtful it applies to the 625 since there's virtually no difference between the two.

There is no Linux OS partition on the 522 / 625.
I thought this unit was simular to the 921.

So you're saying the programs are not uniquely coded and therefore transferable? If this is true you can probably transfer to a PC (using long IDE and power cables) without actually removing the hard drive (thus the sticker isn't broken) then upload to the next unit using the same method.

Also it's using Windows or some custom OS?

Can a higher capacity drive be substituted?

jergenf said:
I thought this unit was simular to the 921.

I'm not familiar with the 921, but there's no OS or user space executables on the 522 / 625 drive.

jergenf said:
So you're saying the programs are not uniquely coded and therefore transferable? If this is true you can probably transfer to a PC (using long IDE and power cables) without actually removing the hard drive (thus the sticker isn't broken) then upload to the next unit using the same method.

This has been my experience. I regularly copy recordings from my subscribed 522 to one I picked up on eBay, which I use to playback the recordings for capture and subsequent archival to DVD. The process is less than user friendly and somewhat complex, so most ppl won't want to go to the trouble.

jergenf said:
Also it's using Windows or some custom OS?

It's all in flash, so I can't tell you what OS it is, but most ppl believe it to be based on linux.

jergenf said:
Can a higher capacity drive be substituted?

Yes, but you don't gain anything by doing so. Read the thread started by Pepper regarding this - the title was something to the effect of 'another mad scientist drive swapping'

Smith said:
It is Linux Ext3 three partitions there !

Yep, part. 1 is user data such as timers, search words, caller id and system logs, and the recorded events catalog. Part. 2 is believed to be for video on demand streams (625 only) and part. 3 is recordings and live tv buffer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts