DVR Video Archiving

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Found this on CES Web Site and took the photo off due to it was too big.

Design by: EchoStar Satellite LLC
www.dishnetwork.com

The DVR Video Archiving feature allows DISH Network customers with select models of DVR receivers the ability to create a virtually unlimited library of their favorite TV programs and movies.

Link to photo.
http://www.cesweb.org/shared_files/innovations/innovations_2004/6602/mainphoto6602.jpg

EchoStar Satellite LLC

VIP622 IPTV DVR
Design by: EchoStar Satellite LLC
www.dishnetwork.com

The DISH Network VIP622 IPTV DVR combines the most sought-after multi-room HD-DVR satellite TV features with benefits of IPTV bringing internet entertainment into the living room in an easy-to-use product.

http://www.cesweb.org/press/events/rd_press_event_detail.asp?ID=448

Press Event Detail

EchoStar Press Conference
January 8, 2007, 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM [Add to Outlook Calendar]
LVCC, S227

Please join us to listen to EchoStar Communications Corporation executives discuss products, technologies, and marketing efforts DISH Network will feature in 2007. The presentation will be followed by a question and answer session.

This event is sponsored by: EchoStar

Contact: Cory Vasquez cory.vasquez@echostar.com 303-723-1377

Good find again Poke. Hopefully they won't, "announce" this feature for the third time at CES and then say it, "will be available in the near future."

Yeah will see if it comes up this month on the tech chat if not maybe we will hear more during CES.

I wish they'd stop announcing that they're going to announce it and just announce it already!!!!!

I wonder if the Dishplayer 7100 will be one of these receivers...

Lol.. oh yeah I been archiving by removing the harddrive to rip to my PC and create DVDs of the raw source for years now. Sounds like Dish is going to make this a much easier process for those with the newer DVRs.

I been archiving by removing the harddrive to rip to my PC and create DVDs of the raw source for years now. Sounds like Dish is going to make this a much easier process for those with the newer DVRs.
Probably will make it a much more difficult process, as they will encrypt the stream going to the external drive.

Probably will make it a much more difficult process, as they will encrypt the stream going to the external drive.

You're right.. they will likely encrypt the 'archived storage' media to the external dohickey and of course reverse-engineering the encryption to decrypt will be breaking the DMCA, punishable by the full extent of the law.

How long do you think Dish will stick with mpeg2? I imagine as they move to more mpeg4 they will lock things down tighter. Before you know it it will cost 50-cents per viewing to watch archived media from the external drive. I'll stick with my Dishplayer 7100 DVR as long as possible since the process I use has become much easier over the years, especially with the comskip program to detect and identify where the commercials are for painless editing of the commercials from extracted footage.

Well, last I heard all HD was expected to move to MPEG-4 sometime in 2007, and everything else in 3 years.

I suspect it might take a WEE bit longer than that.

Actually, that dates came from promises of H.264/MPEG-4 encoders [Tandberg]. So, practically speaking, switching time totally depend when they will perform at claimed level ( 50% less bandwidth ?).

Tandbergs

Actually, that dates came from promises of H.264/MPEG-4 encoders [Tandberg]. So, practically speaking, switching time totally depend when they will perform at claimed level ( 50% less bandwidth ?).

So you know who's using them? How well are they working? Do they give enuff bitrate to the MPEG4 to really look good. I've been watching Starz HD and it is getting much better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts