DVR VIP-622 or #625

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi,

I'm thinking about upgrading to a VIP-622 HD DVR or a 625 non HD DVR from my existing single tuner non HD DVR. I'm buying a new HD TV in the next few months. I tried an HD receiver initially, but it sucked on all non HD chs. and I didn't see the BIG advantage having just a few HD movie channels at a higher price. I swapped that unit out for a single tuner non HD DVR that I am using now and happy with except for not having 2 tuners. I was contemplating a HD DVR as all the new TVs are HD, BUT after reading all the negative posts about the VIP-622 unit it sounds like a piece of junk with lots of trouble. Would I be better off with the 625 unit? I don't want HD programming at this time and when I do it will only be for movie channels. Dish told me I would have 90 days to swap out any receiver I'm not happy with.

Do I need an HD-DVR other than for recording HD programs?

What are your thoughts? Thanks all.

The ViP622 is the finest HD DVR out there- 3 tuners, MPEG-4, etc. Yes, some suffer from bugs; probably all of us get some audio drop outs. But few would give it up.

No, you don't NEED an HD-DVR for anything other than recording/viewing HD. But why swap out DVRs in only a few months if you know you'll be upgrading to HD.

Or maybe you should stick with what you've got until you get your HDTV.

Get the 622 - its a great DVR. If you're getting a HDTV, it would be a shame to not have (in MY mind) Discovery HD, ESPN HD, Rave HD, etc.

Keep in mind, forums like this are a really useful resource with a lot of shared knowledge.....but.....most posts are from people that are having problems and looking to the shared knowledge for solutions. You can't use a forum like this as a statistically valid sample of 622 problems. The vast majority of 622 owners have problem-free units & so have no real reason to post.

I'll take your word for this. But, why all the "bugs" if the DVR is an excellent machine?

The DVR is an excellent machine. It's the software that sometimes makes it buggy. Maybe the HDMI connector is the only hardware bug. I've never had a problem with mine.

The 625 is as buggy as the 622. if not more so. If you want a good dual tuner and don't care about all the HD find a used 942.

If the VIP-622 has 3 tuners can I record 2 shows on 2 different TVs-(with recording machines) and watch a 3rd show @ the same time? I'm assuming that's possible. Let me know. Thanks, Walker

Yes.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

You can record two satellite shows, AND one OTA show, simultaneously. Plus, you can watch another (4th) show from the DVR on TV1- AND yet another show (5th) previously recorded on the DVR on TV2!

And if you order now, we'll throw in.........

Yes.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

You can record two satellite shows, AND one OTA show, simultaneously. Plus, you can watch another (4th) show from the DVR on TV1- AND yet another show (5th) previously recorded on the DVR on TV2!

And free installation? How about waiving the $149 fee for the 622 & install? I think I'm going to get a 622!

Yes.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

What is considered the third tuner? Not OTA I hope.

If the VIP-622 has 3 tuners can I record 2 shows on 2 different TVs-(with recording machines) and watch a 3rd show @ the same time? I'm assuming that's possible. Let me know. Thanks, Walker
Although NavyChop's response was accurate - the ViP622 can record 2 Sat Channels and 1 OTA Digital TV Channel, while still out-putting 2 previously recorded shows at the same time; I have just one comment....

With the ViP622, you do not need external recording machines, locally, nor at any TV set. You can leave all TV's off, and set each of the 3 tuners to record a program, or have each of the 3 tuners controlled by a timer to start/end a recording automatically. Although it has 3 tuners, there are only 2 outputs, TV1 Output (OTA Tuner, Sat-1 Tuner, and Recordings) and TV2 Output (Sat-2 Tuner and Recordings). You can have the ViP622 send both outputs across your home cabling system to several TV's, with each output on a different channel; and then contol each output (TV1 and/or TV2) using UHF PRO Remotes.

NOTE: TV1 UHF PRO Remote sold separately, if needed to control TV1 from another room (when in dual mode).

Also, even though you may not be recording a program, a temporary recording is being made of the current program you are watching, which will allow you to pause and/or backup (not more than 60 minutes), and then fast forward to Live TV.

Last edited:
Yep. Good post. I got 2 remotes w/my ViP622, so an additional remote might not be needed. You would need 1, as stated, if you want TV1 control from a different room in dual mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)