DVR with Multiswitch - TV without receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jjonns

Original poster
May 2, 2005
I have a 3x8 multiswitch successfully connected to my Hughes Directv DVR. However, I want to connect a TV in a spare room that does not have its own receiver. Can anyone help me configure this?

I have tried using a combiner with no luck.

Thanks for your help

You would not use a combiner you need a splitter. Split the signal coming from the DVR, AFTER the fact. You would then run that to an RF modulator (like this one) and then you would have whatever channel was playing on the TiVo.

If this is not what you want to do than you will need to get another DVR. Robert at VE can help you out with this. You also could try somehting like this if you actually wanted to use the TiVo from another room, but, it will interfere with watch on the other set.

Satellite unlike cable requires a STB at every set, unless you want to watch the same program on multiple sets.

Thanks for the reply/help, Slacker....I don't mind if the spare room is on the same channel as the TIVO DVR....Let me see if I understand your instructions.

So, after the multiswitch, I would split the signal to the "ANT IN" connector on the RF modulator. Then run out of the other coax on the modulator to the TV?

Is this correct?

Splitters

jjonns said:
Thanks for the reply/help, Slacker....I don't mind if the spare room is on the same channel as the TIVO DVR....Let me see if I understand your instructions.
jjonns said:

So, after the multiswitch, I would split the signal to the "ANT IN" connector on the RF modulator. Then run out of the other coax on the modulator to the TV?

Is this correct?

You split the coax from the receiver to the TV.
addyour splitter there then run each leg of the splitter to TV's #1 and #2.

Your coax from the multiswitch must go to the receiver.

jjonns said:

Is this correct?

Actually I said that kind of dumb. you split the signal AFTER you leave the DVR. This would be by composite video (Red, White, Yellow RCA plugs) from the DVR you connect to the modulator, which connects to your TV (the one without a receiver) via COAX if you use the modulator, or via composite video if you use the 2.4GHz wireless device.

The latter device may be your only option since you have are not likely to have a composite viedo cable that will cover the distance you are looking to cover.

I was not thinking clearly in the intial post as none of the DirecTV DVRs have a COAX out, except for antenna use, which in turn does not work with the DVR functions or signals.

Text Map:
Dish --> Ground --> Multi-Switch --> DirecTV DVR --> RCA Composite Output 1 or 2 --> desired modulation device --> TV with no receiver

That is about as good as I can do without software :)

So, if I you used the "wired" modulation device, and place it near the DVR (so that my RCA connectors are long enough to connect between the DVR and modulator), I can use COAX to connect to the TV with no receiver? Or, must I connect RCA to RCA?

Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

Yeah that would work too. Say you have two cable runs in the house NOT connected to satellite, you could back feed the signal to your coax distribution point and then have it on as many TV's as you wanted, all on the same channel of course. No problem, I love to help, time has just been slim the last few months.

multi sets on 1 rec

jjonns said:
So, if I you used the "wired" modulation device, and place it near the DVR (so that my RCA connectors are long enough to connect between the DVR and modulator), I can use COAX to connect to the TV with no receiver? Or, must I connect RCA to RCA?

Thanks for taking the time to explain this.
-------- ----------------------

Coax connection will work just fine!
No need to complicate it unless you have a specific need
for 1 hook up or another.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)