DVR with RV dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't see any reason that you shouldn't be able to use a 101 only dish with an HR24, with or without a SWM switch.

It should even work with a Genie (obviously only if the 101 dish is connected to a SWM since it doesn't support legacy) despite the menu option for an 18" round dish having been removed. Just tell it you have a Slimline 3 with a SWM multiswitch, ignore and continue past the red X's you'll get after satellite setup for 99 & 103, then set your guide to hide HD channels.

slice - have you actually tried that? I think it should work but someone posted somewhere that it did not.
And why would you do that, spend all that money on a special SWM switch just to save one cable from the dish?

I have had my HR20 set up with out SWM as we all have ... thats the original way to set it up.
I don't know for sure if I ever used the HR20 when I had SWM (think I moved to HR24's at that point.)
I would think as long as the option is still in the Set Up, it should work.

That was my question. I know the 18in dish/SWM is gone from the Genies.

slice - have you actually tried that? I think it should work but someone posted somewhere that it did not.
And why would you do that, spend all that money on a special SWM switch just to save one cable from the dish?

Someone with a legacy Slimline could test it by disconnecting the 103/110/119 cables from their SWM switch, then try re-doing satellite setup on their Genie. A receiver can't distinguish between legacy dish types, the only difference between a round dish and a Slimline connected to 99/101 is the Slimline will have 99 - but 103 will be missing in both cases.

As for why, what if you wanted to use a Genie in your RV / vacation home where only a round dish was available? Of course no one should buy a NEW round dish for their RV until we know what Directv's plans are for 101 next year after MPEG2 SD is discontinued (i.e. will it carry MPEG4 SD versions of everything, or will it carry a limited amount of HD channels) Unfortunately KaKu dishes for RVs are pricey, and if you want in-motion aren't available at all, so depending on what Directv does RV users might be left without an affordable option for Directv.

I don't see any reason that you shouldn't be able to use a 101 only dish with an HR24, with or without a SWM switch.

It should even work with a Genie (obviously only if the 101 dish is connected to a SWM since it doesn't support legacy) despite the menu option for an 18" round dish having been removed. Just tell it you have a Slimline 3 with a SWM multiswitch, ignore and continue past the red X's you'll get after satellite setup for 99 & 103, then set your guide to hide HD channels.
That's right it should work with a Genie, that's the setup I was looking at but this article says it won't work Can you use a Genie DVR in your RV or boat? - The Solid Signal Blog but this page says every receiver, including the Genie will work DIRECTV Compatible Satellite Antennas for RV, Camping, Tailgating

I'm not sure about that Winegard $190 switch anymore. I'm starting to think it's just a standard SWM8 switch with a splitter included. I've seen the SWM8 switch elsewhere for a lot less.

That's right it should work with a Genie, that's the setup I was looking at but this article says it won't work Can you use a Genie DVR in your RV or boat? - The Solid Signal Blog but this page says every receiver, including the Genie will work DIRECTV Compatible Satellite Antennas for RV, Camping, Tailgating
If I were faced with this issue I would be spending as little as possible on my RV solution because no-one knows what will be happening when SD goes away next year.

Reactions: Jimbo and harshness
Yes, you REALLY don't want to be investing in a new Directv solution for an RV today that isn't HD. If that's too pricey for you, yes, you should look at Dish. At some point, but definitely by this time next year, we'll have some more clarity on what Directv dropping MPEG2 SD will mean for Directv & RVs, but right now spending money on an SD only solution is risky since it may be worthless a year from now.

I agree, I would not spend money on an SD-only solution. Just connect one HR24 directly to your dish (two cables, or one cable if you are happy with a single tuner), and wait until DirecTV reveals its solution for RVs.

Reactions: Jimbo
I agree, I would not spend money on an SD-only solution. Just connect one HR24 directly to your dish (two cables, or one cable if you are happy with a single tuner), and wait until DirecTV reveals its solution for RVs.
See? I asked at least twice on here if connecting the HR24 directly to the RV dish without a switch would work and never got an answer until now.
In any case, I get the impression that Directv doesn't care much about RV customers so I think I'll take your advice and wait.
Thanks for all the help

See? I asked at least twice on here if connecting the HR24 directly to the RV dish without a switch would work and never got an answer until now.
In any case, I get the impression that Directv doesn't care much about RV customers so I think I'll take your advice and wait.
Thanks for all the help
I thought such as back in your post #13 you wanted two HR24s in the RV?

Well this is why no one really suggested connecting directly to the two lines from the dish.

Unless you're thinking we should have assumed you'd be alright with only one tuner enabled on each HR24 ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Yes, I had thought you were pretty set on two HR24s, hence all the complications. One HR24 is easy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts