DVR with RV dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jackonearth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
San Francisco, California
Been looking at RV dishes and receiver compatibility and just noticed that most say they're compatible with the HR24 and even the Genie DVR. They also say they support up to two receivers, does this mean two receivers with any number of tuners?
Would a Genie be able to record five channels from an RV dish? I understand all channels would have to be on the same satellite, but is there a tuner limit?
And how would I connect a Genie or HR24 to an RV dish? Would I need to install a SWM switch between the RV dish and the DVR or would I need to run two coax lines from the dish to the DVR?
I'm more familiar with Dish Network than I am with Directv so any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Been looking at RV dishes and receiver compatibility and just noticed that most say they're compatible with the HR24 and even the Genie DVR. They also say they support up to two receivers, does this mean two receivers with any number of tuners?
Would a Genie be able to record five channels from an RV dish? I understand all channels would have to be on the same satellite, but is there a tuner limit?
And how would I connect a Genie or HR24 to an RV dish? Would I need to install a SWM switch between the RV dish and the DVR or would I need to run two coax lines from the dish to the DVR?
I'm more familiar with Dish Network than I am with Directv so any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Alot of this is determined by which unit you decide to get (model wise)
There are ones that you mount ON the RV permenant or ones that are portable and you set up when you get there.
They each do things a little different ...
The more expensive ones will handle the 99, 101 and 103 Sats and you would get everything you'd get at home.
Most only see the 101 Sat ... remember that your HD channels come off the 99 and 103 Sats.

So, more info would be needed.

Can you use a Genie, in most cases Yes. Either set up you mentioned can work, with a SWM set up or 2 lines to recvr, just depends on what you end up with.

If you go REAL high dollar you get motion as well.

There are ones that you mount ON the RV permenant or ones that are portable and you set up when you get there.
The more expensive ones will handle the 99, 101 and 103 Sats and you would get everything you'd get at home.
Most only see the 101 Sat ... remember that your HD channels come off the 99 and 103 Sats.

Can you use a Genie, in most cases Yes. Either set up you mentioned can work, with a SWM set up or 2 lines to recvr, just depends on what you end up with.

I'm looking at the Winegard Roadtrip T4 for an in-motion dish and the Carryout G3 or G2+ if I decide to forget about in-motion. None of these support HD on Directv. If you know of an in-motion dish that supports Directv HD please point me in the right direction. It appears that if I want to run a Genie with any of the dishes listed above, I'll need a SWM switch but I don't know if that means I'll be able to tune to five channels at once. Looking at the SWM8 switch they recommend, I'm also confused which of the many input ports on the switch would be connected to the RV dish and if I'd run one or two lines between the dish and the switch.

According to this article Can you use a Genie DVR in your RV or boat? - The Solid Signal Blog what I'm trying to do would have worked not too long ago but no longer does because of a software update. However, this means that Winegard is incorrectly stating that their products are capable of doing something they cannot on this page DIRECTV Compatible Satellite Antennas for RV, Camping, Tailgating this should be corrected ASAP as it can cause someone to spend a lot of money on a product that can't do what it claims to do.

I'm looking at the Winegard Roadtrip T4 for an in-motion dish and the Carryout G3 or G2+ if I decide to forget about in-motion. None of these support HD on Directv. If you know of an in-motion dish that supports Directv HD please point me in the right direction. It appears that if I want to run a Genie with any of the dishes listed above, I'll need a SWM switch but I don't know if that means I'll be able to tune to five channels at once. Looking at the SWM8 switch they recommend, I'm also confused which of the many input ports on the switch would be connected to the RV dish and if I'd run one or two lines between the dish and the switch.

The only In-motion systems available for DirecTV are full height Radome systems (Usually 28 inches in height) designed for Boats. Most of these Radome systems from Intellian, KVH or others are somewhere around $7,000 to $8,000 plus installation. The problem for RV's is the height of the Radomes are just under 30 inches tall, as well as the air resistance due to traveling at Highway speeds in addition to local Wind speed. Most larger boats using these systems don't travel over 28 knots (30 MPH).

John

Reactions: Jimbo
According to this article Can you use a Genie DVR in your RV or boat? - The Solid Signal Blog what I'm trying to do would have worked not too long ago but no longer does because of a software update. However, this means that Winegard is incorrectly stating that their products are capable of doing something they cannot on this page DIRECTV Compatible Satellite Antennas for RV, Camping, Tailgating this should be corrected ASAP as it can cause someone to spend a lot of money on a product that can't do what it claims to do.
You have to remember that these dishes are not updated often, so some of the info may not be up to date seeing thow rapidly things change in the industry.

If you have the money and know how and DON'T need full motion, I would go with the Traveler SK SWM3, as it sees all three Sats and will get you HD.

The only problem with that dish is that I could get the same benefits with a simple tripod-mounted dish for a lot less money.
Except No HD ...
If HD is important ...

Many people think they need it and I am the same way, but when I set up our Directv Quest, in the RV, your using a 32" TV and the way its usually set up, your too far from it to actually see HD ... so, I don't mind it if I don't have it ... for a smaller TV like that.

Except No HD ...
If HD is important ...

Many people think they need it and I am the same way, but when I set up our Directv Quest, in the RV, your using a 32" TV and the way its usually set up, your too far from it to actually see HD ... so, I don't mind it if I don't have it ... for a smaller TV like that.
I probably won't notice or care if it's HD or not but my understanding is that a tripod-mounted dish would provide HD as it's the same dish you'd have at home mounted on a tripod.

Your only using 1 recvr ?
If so, you don't need a Switch, but you would want the Power Insertor (unless you want to go the old legacy way with running 2 lines to the back of the recvr.)
Assuming I do go with the in-motion RV dish, I'd be connecting two HR24 DVRs. The RV dish doesn't have SWM built-in so I think I need a switch.

I probably won't notice or care if it's HD or not but my understanding is that a tripod-mounted dish would provide HD as it's the same dish you'd have at home mounted on a tripod.
Yes, You can use a SWM Dish and set up just like you have at home .... I've done that for a lot of years ... till I now don't have room for the larger dish when travelling.

I got a good deal on some king vq4800’s if interested for $399

I don’t think the genie will work unless there is an option for 18 inch dish in the menu if your going to only use 101
In an entirely different conversation ...
Thanks for the King Quest again ...
However I could never get the add on piece to pick up the 119 Sat .... just so ya know, I know it was a while back, I was trying to get the 119 for Locals, but was unsuccessful.

I think it only sees 101.
Sorry, I don't understand your second question.
Do you know which sat the SD locals from LA and NYC are on?
Most all of the SD stuff are on the 101.
So, if your not needing HD, your fine ...
Chances are LA and NY have a BUNCH of Locals while not all of them are on the 101, you will get some of them.

Is there anything wrong with this RV setup with two HR24 DVRs?
One coax from single-LNB RV dish to SWM8 switch (not sure which port to connect to),
one coax from SWM1 port on switch to two-way SWM splitter,
coax from each leg of the splitter to the sat1 port on each of the two HR24 DVRs (sat2 port not used),
power inserter installed between one of the DVRs and the splitter.
Would this work?
Sidenote, the RV dish has two output ports. I don't know if I should connect one or both to the SWM8 switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)