dvr?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

carlosg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
:cool: Hey guys, do you think the dvr from directv is any good. The one for only $100.00? I am thinking about getting one.

I am assuming you are talking about the DirecTivo, you can get it for less than $100 and as a 3+ yr Tivo'er I can say yes, it is an excellent product and value.

I think you can get it at BestBuy for 80 bucks or less I think. Also this is a great box but be aware that it doesn't work with any company but DirecTV unline the Standalone Tivos. But also be aware that DirecTV DVRs don't have the 4.0 software nor do they support Home Media Option or networking. Now even though they say the need a phone line it really only needs it for the initial setup but after that it will just give you a nagging screen.

Also all the guide data comes from DirecTV so that doesn't come over the phone. Also the DirecTivos only record in one quality and that is exactly the same as whats coming in from the satellite so this is why the same price only gets you 35 hours instead of the 80 hours the SA Tivos say. The SA Tivos get 80 hours at lowest quality but about 35 hours at best quality and that still isn't as good as the DirecTivo quality.

Also the DirecTivo can record and playback Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and I did say it can record it.

Also the DirecTivo only costs 4.99/month that will be billed on your DirecTV bill and this fee would cover any number of DirecTivos under your account. Also that fee is waived with their Premier package. So for example I have three DirecTivos and one HDTV Tivo and I don't pay a penny more in monthly fees than what I would with 4 regular basic boxes. Now I did pay 750 bucks for the HD Tivo but I'm recording HDTV and that is worth every penny I spent.

But you will love it and its worth every penny if your with DirecTV. Also make sure you have two satellite runs to your DirecTivo so you can record two shows at the same time. You can't use a splitter but you need two seperate runs from either the dish or a multiswitch but its worth it. Now for 100 bucks DirecTV will install two runs or an extra run if you have a first run for free and provide a multiswitch if needed.

I have a total of 8 cable runs using a 5x8 multiswitch so if I needed anymore rooms I would have to spend quite a bit more for it.

slacker9876 said:
I am assuming you are talking about the DirecTivo, you can get it for less than $100 and as a 3+ yr Tivo'er I can say yes, it is an excellent product and value.

Circuit city has them for $99 minus a $50 mail in rebate. However, Bestbuy has the RCA DVD40 and the Philips DSR704 for $70 straight up.

Is the performance, guides, speed etc identical on these 3 models??

The speed is the same as well as the guts inside them but I have to say the DirecTV guide is very very very very slow so I would switch to the Tivo Live guide and that should be much quicker at least for me it has been. You would press Guide first. Then press info while in the guide and you should see the option to switch from the DirecTV Guide to the Tivo Live Guide.

Also rest assured that they worked very well and are a very good deal.

I just got my bill in the mail today and between the 44.75 NFL ST charge along with a PPV boxing fight with a few PPV movies and everything else my bill ended being 218.26 and thats without the 10.99 HD package I'm getting free. I think that is the highest bill I've had just for programming. I might have to cut back a little. Now add my 100 dollar Voom bill and my 35 buck internet and that comes at about 353 bucks for TV and internet for one month. I've got to cut down soon.

LonghornXP said:
I just got my bill in the mail today and between the 44.75 NFL ST charge along with a PPV boxing fight with a few PPV movies and everything else my bill ended being 218.26 and thats without the 10.99 HD package I'm getting free. I think that is the highest bill I've had just for programming. I might have to cut back a little. Now add my 100 dollar Voom bill and my 35 buck internet and that comes at about 353 bucks for TV and internet for one month. I've got to cut down soon.
You're a freakin addict Longhorn, actually a drug habit might be less! Do you have a cellphone that maybe your forgot too? :D

D* = 102/mo
Cell = 80/mo
Cable Internet = Company pays

Man I am feeling better (only cuz I have no NHL Center Ice this year)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)