DVR522 & off-air antenna

nodsirrah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I have a DVR522 that I also use in my motorhome with a KingDome satellite antenna. At home I get the local channels on the spot beam. When I leave my local area I loose the local channels. There is a crank up off-air antenna on the roof of the motorhome.

The manual states that I can connect an off-air antenna to the TV Antenna/Cable In port, but that is the extent of the information. What do I need to do to view my off-air channels? Does connecting the off-air antenna to the TV Antenna/Cable In port feed the off-air channels to both TV1 and TV2?

Thanks,

dvr 522

The rf antenna input on the 522 is a pass thru when the receiver is off, it passes the antenna signal thru the unit to the tv when the 522 is off.

What you need to do to view off air channels is to connect the antenna directly to the television on its rf in coax port and do a channel scan. the 522 does not have any type of tuner for digital/analog tv on the off air side.

Or you can connect the antenna to the back of the 522 and when you want to view local off air channels turn the 522 off and change channels directly on the tv set.

As for tv 2 output I dont think the antenna pass thru works to the second tv so you will need a splitter to run a second line to tv 2 if you want to watch locals on tv2..

The easiest thing would be to call dish tell them you have an rv get the rv exemption and get la and ny locals from dish as they are on a national beam and can be seen anywhere in the con us...

Dodge,
Thanks for the information, I did not think about using a splitter for TV2. I'll give it a try.
I did apply for the RV excemption, it took them almost 6 weeks to give me the New York channels, I was back home by the time it was in effect! I actually prefer the local off-air channels when traveling, I get more local information, including weather. I was only getting the New York channels so I could watch Nascar races when they are not on Satellite, I missed 2 races.
Come to think of it, if I have to shut off the satellite receiver I would not be able to record anything that is off-air, including the races!

Come to think of it, if I have to shut off the satellite receiver I would not be able to record anything that is off-air, including the races!
A 522 can not record anything OTA - it can only record satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts