DVR522 verses DVR625 noise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dholland27

Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
I have a 522 and it is rather noisy in a quiet room such as a bedroom at night. It is either fan noise, hard drive noise, or both but I believe it is normal. Does any one know if a 625 would be quieter or noisier? Currently I have a 322 in the bedroom but would like a DVR if it is not too noisy.

Also does any one know where I could get a 625 since Dish won't sell me one. They seem to be reserved for new customers. Or perhaps long time customers.

webbydude said:
For all intents and purposes, there really isn't much of a diff between a 625 and a 522. If you have a large amount of noise coming from your DVR, then perhaps it's a 1st sign of trouble
You know, I have noticed a lot of extra cooling fan operation since the latest software release got pushed to my 522. The thing is usually running first thing in the morning before I turn it on. It didn't do that before. What's up with that?

:what

Well, considering it's a dual-tuner unit, maybe you could move it to the current TV2 location so that the noise isn't in your bedroom.

SimpleSimon said:
Well, considering it's a dual-tuner unit, maybe you could move it to the current TV2 location so that the noise isn't in your bedroom.
Right, well mine isn't in the bedroom, I meant I hear it once I'm up and about, going into the living room to watch the morning news. On quiet mornings, I can hear it as I walk down the hall. But a lot of people do have DVRs in their sleeping quarters. Most I think complain of sporadic disk activity rumble, or chatter.

I'd think a constant whirr of a fan would act as a noise blanker, working like a white noise generator a lot of people buy to mask outside noises. Just putting a positive spin on it, we still don't know why the fan runs so much more now than before. :sleeo

I imagine only a bedroom would be a real problem.. do what we do.. we sleep every night (summer and winter) with a fan running. I LOVE the sound of a fan.. helps me sleep.. and drowns out ALL other sounds! :)

The 522 drove me nuts with the fan coming on at 2 am. Moving it outside of the enclosed cabinet didn't help either. I ended up setting the 522 on top of spacers rising it about an inch off the tv topper tray. The fan now may turn on for a minute or so and then shuts off. The fan no longer runs on and on. Creating a wider air gap at the bottom seems to help keep it cool.

The 625 is very noisy. I have it in my family room and don't really notice how noisy it is until it turns off. And the fact that the fan vent is underneath the box instead of the back doesn't help - I think it makes it more difficult for cool air to get sucked in. I have my DVR placed on the top of my components and actually have it slide to the side so that the intake vent hangs over the edge of the DVD player that it is resting on so that it can suck cool air easier. At some point, I plan to find something to put under the DVR to raise it a little bit.

Also, my DVR is inside of a cabinet along w/ the TV which probably doesn't allow as much cool air in as the DVR would like. But with the 2 drives, the box must get hot because the fans run very often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)