DVR625 Picture quality

rgarcia55556

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
I recently switched from DirecTv to Dish. Got fed up with DirecTv picture freeze even after replacing all equipment inside and out. I now have 2 DVR625s. I'm not satisfied with the picture quality of the DVR625. It never seems to be consistant. It goes from bad to good but seldom excellent. Both receivers seem the same. I'm not sure if the installers grounded it properly, I'm wondering if that is the cause. Sometime the picture seems to have sort of a trailer and is grainy on picture transitions. Anyone have the same problem. I'm using the s-video connection on both TVs

I have the same problem off and on. I have narrowed it down to my locals. Customer service said it is a problem with digital compression...two many channels on a satellite transponder. Where are you located?

Chances are this is just due to high compression. Dish also uses different compression equipment than D*. I have both providers and D* has a sharper/grainier picture while E* has a softer picture.

I've noticed the past week or so that anything I record off of the local networks has been really bad PQ-wise on my 625. People actually look like their skin is moving when they are just standing still. It looks really strange. I've only noticed it on the locals, though, not on other channels.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems I'm not the only one experiencing this effect. I've not really pinpointed it to any specific channel but I do watch the locals frequently. Watching sports on ABC, CBS, FOX are really bad and video from a wide angle seems worse. Sometimes you can't even distinquish the numbers on player's jerseys. Now, just this week I've starting experiencing some really bad pauses. The picture will turn into many narrow vertical rectanguler pictures for about a second or two. This just started this week. Seems worse on one DVR that the other. I do get a good consistant signal, anywhere from 92 - 124. I'm located in San Antonio, Tx.

We all need to start emailing Dish about this! Wednesday night was just terrible on ABC (Pittsburgh Locals) I was disgusted! Even my wife noticed and said how clear the old 301 receiver was compared to the 625...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)