DVR625 - Record to DVD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Durwood79

Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
I am new to the satellite world. I am attempting to record for the 625 PVR to DVD. Is the S-Video output to way to do this? Is it the only way?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a similar question to that of Durwood79, above. I too am using a Dish 625 PVR model and would like to record onto DVD, using my new Samsung DVD-VR325. I am successfully burning DVD's, but I feel that I am losing quality when I transfer from the 625 to the DVD recorder. I would like to use S-video in the transfer, but cannot figure out how to hook up the DVD recorder to the DVD625 through S-video connections. The problem is, the one S-video port in the back of the DVD625 is hooked directly to the TV, leaving no other S-video to hook directly into the DVD recorder. Is there a way to fix this?

Look at your owners manual. The Samsung has and IN and OUT S-video. The IN I believe in in the front.

KAB said:
Look at your owners manual. The Samsung has and IN and OUT S-video. The IN I believe in in the front.
I have a similar set-up. My Dish-311 box is connected via its S-Video out to the front S-Video in of a Toshiba DVD recorder. The rear S-Video out of the recorder is connected to the S-Video in of the TV.

It won't "pass through" when the DVD recorder is switched off, so to watch Dish with that setup, the DVD has to be powered on, set to S-Video in, and not tied up performing any disk operation.

Thanks for the info, blabber. My Samsung DVD-VR325 does have an in and out S-Video on the back (none on the front). It sounds like I have to have the have the unit on if I want to watch Dish (due to the "pass through" issue). I had it hooked up the other way around, with the Dish 625 as the last link before the TV. I will fool with it and let you know.

Success! Now... here's the next issue. Suppose I record a program directly onto my Samsung DVD-325, and then I want to make copies of it. I have a regular DVD player which I can connect to the front of the DVD recorder, but only by using the RCA type hook up - red, white, and yellow cables. There is no S-Video option on the front of the Samsung recorder. So, the question is, will my copies of the original recording degrade?

Last edited:
Most likely it will degrade as it would be a second-generation copy, in addition to being regular video instead of S-video. You'd be better off using a computer's DVD burner with copying software, if you have access to one.

It's worth a try, though. Make sure you use the highest resolution (fastest speed) mode on the recorder.

I tried it out this evening and can detect no visible degradation from the original to the recording of the original. That's not to say that they are exactly the same quality, but on my Sony Wega 25 inch TV they look the same. Maybe if I were to hook up a data projector and test it out the difference might be more evident. Also, the sound might be different too, but the copy seems pretty good to me.

Thanks, blabber!

I resolved the S-Video pass through problem by connecting the S-Video out from the satellite receiver to a switch. Now, when I want to record from satellite I just press a button on the switch. When I want normal viewing (without having to go through the DVD recorder) I switch it back.

I do think the s-video splitter is a good idea, but the switch box which "maximum" mentions sounds even better. Trouble is, the box seems to be discontinued at the site KAB gave us:
http://www.svideo.com/svideoy.html
Any other options for purchase? The reason I think this might be important is that my DVD recorder is heating up even more than my Dish 625 Unit, and this is not a good thing. If I have to have the recorder on all the time just for play through reasons, it will shorten the life of the unit, I'm thinking. So, any pointers for an S-video switch box would be greatly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)