DXing satellites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

123tim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Pennsylvania
I don't know if it's a good thing to do this, but I'm stealing an excerpt from a previous post and starting a new Thread. I don't think that the person who started his post today (Newbie with old C band dish - bigec2002) has the all of the answers that he's looking for. My question is slightly off topic, and I don't want to drag down his thread with extraneous questions of my own.
The original question was about retrofitting a FTA LNB on a C-band dish and getting a distant satellite. The first reply was "THe foot print from that satellite is not cover the North America, unless you has a Big C band dish that may pick up some signal from there." (From sksatellite)
This prompts me to ask a question that I had asked before in a new angle:
Living in Pennsylvania, would I be able to pick up any KU band distant Satellites (if they were in my line of sight) with a large C band dish? (I think that I can find a C-band with small enough mesh.)
I had asked about Atlantic satellites (using a small dish) before. The answer was no.
Is there much of a fringe area on a satellite footprint?
Am I stuck with Satellites aimed at the United States, or is it possible to DX with larger antennas? I've always been interested in receiving distant terrestrial broadcast. I guess that I should have expected that bug to carry over to FTA.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Sorry you are stuck with whatever satellites you can see, and that are broadcasting in your direction. Many large C-Band dish are not as good for KU signals as say a well made 1 meter dish!

Good idea to start your own thread, we seem to be getting a lot of members jumping on other threads rather than simply starting another.

Just wish I had better news.......

You should be able to see out to Atlantic Bird 1 at 12.5°W. I think that is the last satellite to have a North American beam.

Edit: With the proper LNB

Neal

Last edited:
Thanks Neal,
I have a Fortec universal LNB and a 36" dish. Probably would need more than that?
Pete, Is the curvature wrong (for KU) on a C band dish? By this, I mean not focused for KU band. I was assuming that bigger would be better. I had my eye on a black mesh BUD that my cousin has laying in his yard. :)
I was thinking that Telstar 12 at 15 degrees West would be as far as I could go.
Thanks!

A C-Band dish will collect KU signals also as long as the holes in the mesh are small enough. C-Band is very forgiving and the dish do not need to be as well made as say good 1m solid steel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)