Dying 129

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mlinuxg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Since the 129 satellite is "dying" does anyone know if it will be replaced or is Dish just going to limp along with it.

I would like to upgrade to HD but the 129 situation is holding me back. Suppose I could switch to DirectTv.

Mike

Or skip 129 entirely. Can you get a LOS to 61.5? Might be a bit low for you, but the signal is much better.

mlb said:
You probably won't have that big of a problem with the 129. The west coast and south seems to have the biggest issues.
According to Dish tech, Southern California is in the "footprint" of 129 signal reception. I am scheduled to have a dish that was peviously pointed at 61.5 repointed to 129 so I can get HD locals. I expressed concern over signal strength from the 129 and he says I should get 85+ from my Southern Cal location. He says the northern west coast is a different matter.

I hope he's right...

grb said:
I expressed concern over signal strength from the 129 and he says I should get 85+ from my Southern Cal location.

I hope he's right...

I live in Pasadena and after a tech re-peaked my DISH 1000, he told me that the 60 or so I was getting was "as good as it gets". It works better than it did, but I was in the 40's before he re-peaked. It's now acceptable with infrequent bouts of pixelation that last only a second or two.

CB

grb said:
According to Dish tech, Southern California is in the "footprint" of 129 signal reception. I am scheduled to have a dish that was peviously pointed at 61.5 repointed to 129 so I can get HD locals. I expressed concern over signal strength from the 129 and he says I should get 85+ from my Southern Cal location. He says the northern west coast is a different matter.

I hope he's right...

Bull. I'm in Southern California. I usually get in the low 60's. Tech said 65 was the best I'd be able to get and that was pushing it. Locals suffer, especially NBC. And if there is bad weather, forget it completely. I got a lot better signal of my old 61.5 that I had for Voom prevously.

Im a dns tech in Los Angeles (long beach office ) dont even expect 70's for the 129 it's a waste of time thinking that a csr would know any thing they usually dont even admit there is a problem with the 129 location. and a two dish solution is just a way to make the custome think were trying even with a seperate dish for the 129 the highest i had ever got was around 73/75 but then watch it drop down to the 40's/50's for no reason,with the customer watching me for a answer

Who said that 129 is dying? What I so not understand is, why the transponders varry so much in signal strength. Some are in the 80's and some in the 50's for me. 22 is always very weak might hit 60 on a good day but in the 50s most of the time and will be the first to go off in a heavy rainstorm.

129 has lost two of the gyros and they have to reposition it using the thrusters. One day it will run out of gas.

Dish has a deal with Ciel the Canadian company that owns the 129 orbital slot. They are co building a new satellite for 129. The new satellite is supposed to have spot beam capacity. Dish is also said to have the use of 16 transponders of the 32. I suspect they plan to put a bunch of the HD LiL cities on spot beam from 129, and use the rest of their 16 TPs for national HD channels.

In reality they can use more than 16 if lets say they use 10 for spot beams, and none of the spots are near the Canadian boarder, the 10 spot beams could be used in Canada even for a national Canadian beam.

I have not seen that the specifications for the satellite have been released yet. A satellite built for 129 should solve all the problems since the satellite should not wobble any more and the beam footprint would be optimized for 129. The entire US should get a good signal, but of course the issue of the NE would still be a problem since it would be low on the horizon.

SKrueger said:
Bull. I'm in Southern California. I usually get in the low 60's. Tech said 65 was the best I'd be able to get and that was pushing it. Locals suffer, especially NBC. And if there is bad weather, forget it completely. I got a lot better signal of my old 61.5 that I had for Voom prevously.
But do you have a dish 1000 or a separate dish for the 129?

Most of the major problems I have heard of are on the dish 1000 because they can't get the highest signal from 129 without seriously reducing 110 and 119. I thought since I would repoint the 61.5 dish, it may work better because it would be dedicated to the 129.

Has anyone tried this?

Pixalation is unacceptable. If i lived in america i would do the 129 with a 30 inch seperate dish and i bet that would take care of your signal issues. Consider yourselves lucky cause i cant even get that bird to pull any signal with a six foot channel master up here in the ol ak. Hell on that note i only get 76 points on the 110 with my six footer. hooah

fredbenz said:
Pixalation is unacceptable.
i could not agree more
people spend money on the 622 to recoed hd yet can record nothing due to pixilation
obviously you can record but it wont br\e a perfect recording
Dish really screwed up this time, but funny it always seems they top themselves, they will find a way to make the current situation with 129 and hd even worse, just give them sometime

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)