E* and Viacom Reach New Agreement

And I'm sure there are millions of people who watch the Viacom channels and who don't want to pay for the 'garbage' channels that you watch. It's all relative.

Yes it is relative. But Viacom's ratings are way down, subs are leaving, and costs keep going up. If there was every any broadcaster to take a stand on this is the one.

What makes you think they didn't 'take a stand'?

Because Charlie has publicly stated - very bluntly that the ratings for Viacom channels are way down and rather than get a larger rate, perhaps they should get a rebate since it appears they have overpaid. Thus he then goes out and signs a deal for a price increase, even in single digits, its still too much for a failing group of channels.

Because Charlie has publicly stated - very bluntly that the ratings for Viacom channels are way down and rather than get a larger rate, perhaps they should get a rebate since it appears they have overpaid. Thus he then goes out and signs a deal for a price increase, even in single digits, its still too much for a failing group of channels.

Again, where is your inside info about the deal coming from? How do you know there was an increase? Just because they signed a new deal doesn't mean it wasn't a good one for DISH.

My list of hated channels far exceeds my list of favorites.
Does that mean I want Dish to drop all the channels I hate?
Absolutely not.
Not everyone in my house likes the same channels.
So why would everyone in America?

Viacom like it or not has a Lot of fans.
I love looking at these threads and all the fanboys that wish for a blackout like it's a smart business decision and like a blackout would keep cost down.
There is absolutely Nothing and I mean Nothing to support that at all .
The only thing these channel drops and continue price Hikes do is keep subscriber counts Down.

If I'm forced to go to an outside source for a particular content, that devalues the service as a whole.
I'm not going to continue to pay the same price to one company if I'm forced to pay more to get missing content from another provider or streaming service.
I don't care what contract was signed.
They can lose my $2000 a year business for their maximum $480 ETF.

I don't think they really want that.
And they know that could happen by millions.
That's why a deal was struck.
Both parties were hung by the balls...

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Viacom left messages to Dish customers to have them tell Dish to keep Viacom. Many of the letters that customers sent to Dish told them to "Get rid of this garbage." I'm sure Viacom saw the same letters and came to a quick agreement.

Viacom left messages to Dish customers to have them tell Dish to keep Viacom. Many of the letters that customers sent to Dish told them to "Get rid of this garbage." I'm sure Viacom saw the same letters and came to a quick agreement.
Prove it.
Anything I saw was the exact opposite.
Facebook was riddled with dish hate mail.
And they didn't even drop the channels.
Imagine if they did.

Inspiration Network had Dish customer service pages and Facebook completely engulfed in hate mail.
That was one channel that "supposedly" No one gave a crap about.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: reddice
There are plenty of people for hire to generate FB and other social media "groundswells."

Maybe the future is who decides to pay the most for shills.

Inspiration network? And hate mail? Does that even make any sense?

NQR.

Dish subscribes to the Nielsen ratings and knows exactly who is watching what and how many viewers a channel has. They throw that in the face of Viacom and they should have dropped at least 6 of the those 18 Viacom channels.

Dish, like all digital providers, know exactly who is watching what channel, when and how long. Granted it is limited to those with Internet or phone connected, there is enough data to be more accurate than Nielsen. Nielsen getting Dish data was more benefit for Nielsen than it was for Dish...

There are plenty of people for hire to generate FB and other social media "groundswells."

Maybe the future is who decides to pay the most for shills.

Inspiration network? And hate mail? Does that even make any sense?

NQR.
Really ?
So the posts are all fake?
Same could be said here then
when it comes to half of the post here wanting the channels dropped.

Dish paying you guys?

Bottom line , a deal was struck no channels were lost, more was gained for sling, so apparently Dish and majority saw more value then the 10 of yous here.

Accept it , and move on and pray for the next batch of your channels that yous hope Charlie will black out that will still never save you a Dime.

A Viacom Drop would have destroyed the value in the Top120 pack.

I went through a Viacom drop with Directv a few years back.
If yous think that didn't phase their customers, I suggest you go read some archives and some quarterly reports.

No one gives a crap about suddenlink. They are a piss poor Cable company that has Internet to fall back on as do most cable providers.
They are 1% of US television Households including their commercial customers.
They could care less right now if you subscribe to their TV services, they'll just jack you on your stand alone internet.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Reactions: reddice
The bottom line is, Dish paid Viacom more than they (Dish) wanted to. Viacom accepted less than they though Dish should pay. They compromised.
They have a symbiotic relationship, both need each other to survive, or at least maintain the status quo.

Reactions: Troch77
The bottom line is, Dish paid Viacom more than they (Dish) wanted to. Viacom accepted less than they though Dish should pay. They compromised.
We don't know that.... Just speaking hypothetically and not as a Dish fan-boy, it could have went like this:

Viacom: Pay us $1.50 per subscriber per month
Ergen: That's laughable !! I'll give you $1.00 per
Viacom: You're trying to steal from us at that amount
Ergen: We'll just drop your channels
Viacom: No, don't do that, we'll take $1.00 per

We don't know that.... Just speaking hypothetically and not as a Dish fan-boy, it could have went like this:

Viacom: Pay us $1.50 per subscriber per month
Ergen: That's laughable !! I'll give you $1.00 per
Viacom: You're trying to steal from us at that amount
Ergen: We'll just drop your channels
Viacom: No, don't do that, we'll take $1.00 per
Hypothetically if Dish didn't want them a deal wouldn't have been struck.
Simple as that.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts