E* Asks FCC to move E8 to 77w

This approval is only for moving E-8 to 77 W. Dish needs another application that they have filed to be approved by the FCC to provide programming from E-8 at 77 W.

Anyone else find it ridiculous that the FCC could potentially approve the move and shoot down the providing programming part? Am I crazy in thinking that something like this should be done in one approval and not two? What good would E8 do dish at 77 W if they can't transmit if that is why they are moving it there for to begin with?

Talk about inefficient governance...

Anyone else find it ridiculous that the FCC could potentially approve the move and shoot down the providing programming part? Am I crazy in thinking that something like this should be done in one approval and not two? What good would E8 do dish at 77 W if they can't transmit if that is why they are moving it there for to begin with?

The two requests require distinctly different types of orders/licences per Federal Regulations.

Two different issues. 1: Permission to move a satellite to a new (foreign) location. 2: Permission to transmit from a foreign satellite into the US.

The FCC could say yes to # 1 and no to # 2 and E8 would then only transmit into Mexico since no US license would be involved.

77 is a tricky slot since it has potential to interfere with Canadian satellite positions. The FCC cannot just give a blanket OK. Dish has to prove that they have worked it out with Canadian and Mexican athorities. Dish may have to point E8 much further South than they want to, or they could work out a reasonable deal.

Dish thinks they are going to be able to work it out (leasing a lot of Canadian space at 72.7 will probably help). They are going to spend the fuel to move even if they get stuck and do not get the permissions.

77 is a tricky slot since it has potential to interfere with Canadian satellite positions. The FCC cannot just give a blanket OK. Dish has to prove that they have worked it out with Canadian and Mexican athorities. Dish may have to point E8 much further South than they want to, or they could work out a reasonable deal.

Dish thinks they are going to be able to work it out (leasing a lot of Canadian space at 72.7 will probably help). They are going to spend the fuel to move even if they get stuck and do not get the permissions.

It's a paperwork delay. First Dish applied to FCC to operate US licensed satellite at 77W. Then their partner, Quetzat was informed by Mexican FCC (Cofetel) that they would lose their concession for 77W if they did not maintain a Mexican controlled satellite at that locations. So then, in late July, Dish amended application to change it to Mexican controlled. That change had to go out on public notice (it is a ruthless business with little cooperation and the competitors will do anything to stick screwdrivers in the spokes). We can expect the formal approval to come rolling out since everthing has been coordinated with ITU Region 2 and if it meets the regs, it can't be stopped.

Thanks Nelson61 for a nice bit of history and analysis.

Reading the application to move was interesting. Dish said they did not intend to use the spot beam capability of E8, but that the satellite would give them the capability for (essentially?) full CONUS coverage. Reading between the lines, I guess this means Dish will use the spot beam capability of Ciel-2 when launched (November?) to fill up the holes in their local HD coverage. I don't recall exactly what the Ciel-2 spot beam capacity is, but I do know its a lot. Maybe we'll all have HD locals for christmas.:hungry:

fitzie

Thanks Nelson61 for a nice bit of history and analysis.

Reading the application to move was interesting. Dish said they did not intend to use the spot beam capability of E8, but that the satellite would give them the capability for (essentially?) full CONUS coverage. Reading between the lines, I guess this means Dish will use the spot beam capability of Ciel-2 when launched (November?) to fill up the holes in their local HD coverage. I don't recall exactly what the Ciel-2 spot beam capacity is, but I do know its a lot. Maybe we'll all have HD locals for christmas.:hungry:

fitzie

It may be that a good portion of the country may have signal adequate for access to a bunch of semi-conus locals from E8 (until the replacement in 2011). The Dish document indicates that it will be used for locals (probably from the east). I can imagine the "movers" checking it out.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...rc-dish-info-install-guide-6.html#post1488366 Post 106

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)