E* DVR Fee Lowered

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Right now I have an HD6000 plus 3 4900's . I pay an extra $15/mo. for the 3 extra receivers. I subscribe to AT150 .
So if I change over to the 921 plus 3 DVR's even I'll have to pay an extra $35/mo. just in the equipment fees !!!
Is this correct or did I miss something ?

AJF said:
Right now I have an HD6000 plus 3 4900's . I pay an extra $15/mo. for the 3 extra receivers. I subscribe to AT150 .
So if I change over to the 921 plus 3 DVR's even I'll have to pay an extra $35/mo. just in the equipment fees !!!
Is this correct or did I miss something ?

Yeah, you'd pay $35 in equipment fees. Might be worth it for you to switch to AEP which includes HBO, showtime, cinemax and starz for $75 a month over the current $43 that you pay now. That way you'd be free from the DVR fees and only pay $15 for equipment fees. Hopefully Dish will indeed change their DVR fee to be per account, but it will very much depend on what Directv will do. I can actually see Directv changing their fee to be per receiver before i see Dish changing theirs. Directv is rumored to start pushing DVRs, possibly for free for new subs, and with more and more households having more than one DVR at a discounted price, the DVR fee per receiver is making more sense. We'll see what happens. Things will change a lot in the next coming months with Direct and Dish.

AppliedAggression you make a very good point.

If I were a new customer looking to get satellite my advice would be to wait 6 months to a year, I have a feeling we will be seeing BIG changes at both companies.

This will ultimately be GOOD for the consumer.

If Dish cannot make their hardware cheap enough and have software and hardware that is good enough to be competitive then perhaps they should hand it over to other manufacturers to have a combo DishTivo unit made just as DirecTv does.

I know that Dish does not make their receivers but that is what I meant, to find other manufacturers for the product. Perhaps Sanmina SCI Corp. has a contract with Dish that prevents Dish from having any other manufacturer make their product (although Sears has JVC slapped on the receivers and WalMart has RCA slapped on the receivers, and there use to be Philips slapped on the receivers as well - in which I think Sanmina SCI Corp. still makes them).

AppliedAggression said:
Dish does not make their own receivers. All receivers are made by Sanmina SCI Corp.
I would not want to be a huge company like Dish and depend on a "sole source" for my hardware unless their manufacturing and supply chains are quite diverse and redundant. Even then, it sounds 'risky'...

Thank AppliedAggressions for your suggestion to switch to AEP which would make sense. It just angers the hell out of me that they con us into buying the equipment, which cable subs don't do, then they add fee upon fee on top of that !!!!

Cable companies only charge you a monthly fee for your equipment (in most areas), then charge for the PVR functionality on top of it. And (at least in my area) charge a much higher price for the channels they offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)