E-mail back from a Dish Tech

dude2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I just received an email from a dish network tech regarding their picture quality. I asked them if any of their HD material was in true HD format.
His answer was that all of their HD content had to be compressed somewhat so it would work with empeg 4 but thought they still had a very good picture.
If this is so why are they not required to define just what their HD content is just like gas stations have to tell us the octane of their gas.
Dave.

dude2 said:
I just received an email from a dish network tech regarding their picture quality. I asked them if any of their HD material was in true HD format.
His answer was that all of their HD content had to be compressed somewhat so it would work with empeg 4 but thought they still had a very good picture.
If this is so why are they not required to define just what their HD content is just like gas stations have to tell us the octane of their gas.
Dave.

Good point Dave. They shouldn't be allowed to sell us medium grade unleaded and tell is it's "High Test".:cool:

Dude2 face reality if you don't like what you have you can go elsewhere, they provide what they provide and they aren't going to change for you. If the economics say they can get away with a lower quality and add more channels you can bet they will do it, either DISH or Directv those are the facts.

I was told at Team Summit with Scotty that the Voom Channels are being resent in the same format. Meaning Voom is the one that is resizeig their picture. I think that Scott was going to check this out futher...

Boba is right if you can get something better go for it ..Its not going to change no matter how many of you send the same question about True HD ...its not going to happen right now. there is to much pressure to just get HD out there. I feel lucky just to get a better picture to make my HD TV look nice.

Everyone I talked to at Dish said the same thing about the VOOM channels. I also spoke to folks at VOOM who were at Team Summit and they did not know what the answer was.

The REAL MPEG4 channels are downresed to 1440 x 1080 because of MPEG4 encoder issues. MOST HDTV's out there can not display ture resolutions about this anyways so except for the most expensive TV sets the PQ should be very good.

I was also told by some folks that as the MPEG4 technology improves they do hope to increase things and also Dish is looking to be the FIRST provider in the USA offering HD in 1080p. Not sure how they will do that but it is a goal they have and I heard that from more then one employee.

Dish has obviously decided to take the lead role in delivering HD content -- and make HD content common faire, rather than an upscale offering.

I'm not surprised to hear that the organiztion plans to be the first to deliver 1080p content.

The industry's lack of 1080p content is why I bought my Sony 1080i set 18 months ago -- even tho very pricey (at that time) 1080p sets were becoming available.

I'm with Dish, in part, because of their obviously superior vision of the future.

Remember they are all graded on a curve. As long as you're better than your competition then you win .... for right now. It's also important what you're better at, most HD, more channels, better hardware, etc... All segments of the market are looking for something slightly different. You have to balance all of it for the right mix.