E-Mail from Big Ten Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think the network needs to really think about its demands in the NEAR future before it starts hurting the recruiting for the teams in the B10. Teams like Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, and Indiana won't get much TV time for football, while teams in the MAC and Cincinnati will get more TV time thanks to the ESPN+ deals that will show their games in B10 country. For example, in both Dayton and Cincinnati the Miami (Ohio) vs Cincinnati game will be the regional game of the week at noon, where in the past you'd get a Purdue vs Minnesota type game. Obviously OSU, Michigan, etc., won't be hurt because they will be on ESPN and ABC a bunch, but the lower level teams will surely lose some exposure unless Dish, Time Warner, and everyone else come to an agreement to carry their channel.

Says you have to be a premium bucknet to read the article.

Sorry, didn't realize it was premium content.

Without giving too much away (although I am not sure why this was premium), Silverman noted that the only thing they will not negotiate on is being on extended basic tier. They are "flexible" on pricing. But also said that they will not go in a sports tier "within Big Ten states" but out of that area, are "very flexible."

So maybe something innovative can be worked out with E* after all?

Also said 85-90% of programming will be in HD.

I appreciate your optimism oswald but The Big Ten Network will not appear on Dish Network any time soon. The letter to the FCC speaks volumes.

edit: YES network demanded basic tier placement with Dish and look where that got them.

Seems like the Big 10 Network thinks they're an ESPN/Disney/ABC or something.... "demanding" certain tier placement and what-not. Heh, look where it's gotten 'em so far.... They can "demand" what they want from "Podunk Cable in Smalltown, Iowa" but they ain't gonna do that to Time Warner, Comcast, Dish, and so on.

You're correct Hall and I'm starting to wonder if the rates being demanded have more to do with Fox than the Big Ten conference. You would think that the Big Ten conference's chief motivation would be exposure, not necessarily revenue. As flyingsquirrel pointed out in another thread it may be Fox (49% owners) pushing the revenue envelope.

So, now that DirecTV has redone their entire package naming scheme, what does that mean to the Big Ten Network's press releases saying that they will be available on "Total Choice?" Does that mean it will be in the new "Choice" package at $45/mo? DirecTV has nada on their website regarding the Big Ten Network which seems rather odd since they are the only DBS provider signed up at this point.

Also, BTN talks about AT&T having signed on. I thought AT&T used DishNetwork for subscription TV services? Do they have actual CATV operations in some communities?

Basketball

Don't forget that come basketball season if you have any interest in big ten basketball that the btn will have a majority of the games.

Someone on another site made a good point. The NFL Network is not on lower tiers and Comcast just made the NFL Network a Sport Pack channel so you have to pay extra for it. I dont think BTN will see any better consideration as a National.

I really don't see why the BTN can't be added to the Multi-Sports Pack which I subscribe to for no reason at the moment for $5.99 a month.

I kept this for college football as all the MLB and NBA games are blacked out. Those that want it can get it. Just pay for it. I'd rather pay $6 for essentially the BTN than $100 for Gameplan (which is what I did last year to watch the Buckeyes). No reason to get Gameplan this year.

Guess it makes sense they want BTN named a regional network, probably for this reason. I'm fine with it, $6 to watch the Buckeyes in HD? Get it done!

Tell the Big 10 Network that. They want to be in a non-sports tier and according to what I've read with their negotiating with Time Warner and Comcast, they're asking the same from them too.

I'm pretty sure that Dish, TW, Comcast, and other big providers will "win". They'll either not carry the channel at all, and they're out nothing (not as many people will quit as you think), or B10 will lower their demands.

BTN: Dish more likely than Comcast

According to a source at a Big Ten school, the admins were told that Dish is more likely to be on board at launch than Comcast and some other Cable systems. In fact, they were considered "probable" along with some others.

Apparently, BTN would be part of AT200 in Big Ten States (Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pa.) and would be located in the 150s.

Everywhere else it would be in the RSN package and be in the 400s.

Now it's down to dollars, supposedly.

BTN would like to get this done soon so that Dish would withdraw its petition to the FCC to have BTN declared an RSN. Having BTN declared an RSN would change the balance of negotiations.

Apparently, BTN would be part of AT200 in Big Ten States (Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pa.) and would be located in the 150s.
That's sure not what B10 is saying publicly. Besides, I don't think Dish has regional channels unique to AT200 (or higher).

That's interesting news flyingsquirrel. What about the HD version of the channel? I would hate to see all of this negotiating back and forth and then not add the HD channel.

I believe the BTN will be willing to hold out for basic tier inclusion for a long time ... like on the order of at least two years. Their leverage is to drive customer dissatisfaction for those providers not carrying it, in the interest of long-term revenue.

There is very little motivation for them to crack on this point. For if they allow E* or Comcast to put it on a sports tier, their revenue will drop by a significant amount. Much better to wait it out and hope that football and basketball fans will pressure the cable companies to sign. After all, they already have D*, AT&T, and 75 local cable companies signed.

As to there being only 2 Ohio State games, how could anyone possible know there won't be more? Right now all we know is that two of the first 3 OSU games are on the BTN. In some of the coming weeks, the BTN will get the #2 pick of all B10 games, in other weeks they will get #3, and in a few will get #4. So if ABC picks Michigan in a week where the BTN is #2, then BTN can take Ohio State playing a B10 conference opponent. This could happen a couple of times this year.

And then there is basketball, where it is likely that about 10 Ohio State games will be exclusive to the BTN.

For if they allow E* or Comcast to put it on a sports tier, their revenue will drop by a significant amount.
They have no revenue today, so there's nothing to drop. What will drop is their projected revenue.
After all, they already have D*, AT&T, and 75 local cable companies signed.
75 cablecos... I'll bet D* has more total subscribers than those 75 combined !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)