E-mail from Dish on SD PQ

dude2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I just read my email and got an answer on sd picture quality. They recomended that I watch sd on the svhs input and it should look much better. The up conversation to 1080i by the 622 does not make the sd look that good.
Haven;t tried it yet but thought some of you who have time yet tonght might check.
I'll try it tomorrow after work. I would be neat to hear your inputs on this idea of dish. Dave.

This was extremely true for the 811.

And somewhat true for the 942.

However a number of 622 owners have said that there isn't much difference. Perhaps there will be for you and your particular TV (that makes a difference).

I got the same response recently, use S-VIDEO and set receiver to 480i (what a pain in the butt that is) my response was, the channel I was writing about really is suffering from low bitrate / over compression and that I wish the 622 had NATIVE passthrough, switching inputs and then going through the menu to switch resolutions is not worth it most of the time.

yeah, i remember hearing that... we'll see I figured i'd complain to PQ maybe they'd pass it along. I still can't believe the *solution* they offer for fixing SD on the 622... if they had native pass through you wouldn't need to go through all that hassle (provided it works right)

dude2 said:
I just read my email and got an answer on sd picture quality. They recomended that I watch sd on the svhs input and it should look much better. The up conversation to 1080i by the 622 does not make the sd look that good.
Haven;t tried it yet but thought some of you who have time yet tonght might check.
I'll try it tomorrow after work. I would be neat to hear your inputs on this idea of dish. Dave.

The up conversion of SD to 1080i has never been that great on any Dish receiver and many of us here have been recommending using the TV's composite (S-Vid) inputs for SD for a few years now.

Once you're set up, it's not that big a pain. You leave them both hooked up and if you're configured properly, all you have to do is switch inputs from the remote - the TV will remember the zoom settings.

Can I take the s-video out put of tuner one and audio and run it into one of my svhs inputs on tv and still have the hdmi connected at the same time. Then all I would have to do is like you said go from s video input to hdim with remote and have the switch made plus be able to make a easy comparision of the two inputs on the same channel.

dude2 said:
Can I take the s-video out put of tuner one and audio and run it into one of my svhs inputs on tv and still have the hdmi connected at the same time. Then all I would have to do is like you said go from s video input to hdim with remote and have the switch made plus be able to make a easy comparision of the two inputs on the same channel.
YES!!

I got my 622 today and have both the SVideo and Component (converted to RGBHV) attached. I have the TV at 720p which seems to be its sweet spot (its a 67inch Barco RetroGraphics 801S CRT RP).

My only PQ concern so far is the locals, they arent great, especially the UPN feed though it never is great and does look better on the Interlaced Svideo connection. Apart from that though, every other channel looks great on the de-interlaced component connection.

I havent had a chance to try it out on the LCD panel yet, will see later how that looks, but the CRT based system benefits from the upconversion a lot and makes the SD quality better then it ever has been. Going back to SVideo and its visible scanlines irritates me :)

Next project is to fix the cable to the antenna on the roof so I can pull locals that way, recently managed to "mow" it :)

cyberized said:
I have the 811 hooked up so I can go to S-Video Connection via my TV Remote anytime I think I can get a BETTER picture (OFTEN).

How do I do this? I had the S-Video hooked up in the back of my 622, but I took it out the other day, because I didn't understand what it was doing being hooked up back there? Does it only increase quality for SD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts