E-mail from Voom - Official Shutdown Notice

What do we do with our equipment now? Doesnt seem that they want it back at all. Any aftermarket value to it? Also, Id be interested to see what everyone here decides on for HD feed. I really want a HD DVR but I dont know much about the offerings of my 3 choices. Damn, Ill miss the kung fu channel LOL

Nick

I just received the same e-mail T2k received, that makes it truly offical they are gone. I truly enjoyed their service especially Equator and will miss true HD quality.

yep i got the same e-mail as well, i think im going back to adelphia, since timewarner and comcast bought them out, they have far more hd channels then directv or dish network does, and no committments either.

I got mine, too. I just keep hoping something will rise from the ashes, but it is looking increasingly unlikely. Still, as a mark of respect and gratitute, I won't look for a replacement service until Voom finally goes dark.

Four threads merged! ;)

I just read mine.
hate to see Voom go going to miss the HD switching to Dish tomorrow morning
with no HD except for the locals that I get ota

I got mine this morning when I checked my emails. I guess this is the final word that Voom isn't being revived this time. This is a sad times for all of us.

I already had Charter Cable install my HD DVR and 2 additional HD boxes. Now I find out the HD DVR is a whole house unit which will make stored content available on the other two boxes.

This is in testing and will be available in the summer. In addition, I can add my own SATA hard drive at any time to increse the 30 hours of HD it now holds (about $200 for an additional 50 hours). Add to that the On demand versions of HBO, Showtime and Starz- other than the fact that they only have 12 channels available, this is exciting.

In the five days I have had the HD DVR, I can tell that the amount of content that is out there is not as important as having something you want to see be available to watch WHEN you want to watch it.

Right now, I can tell I won't miss Voom as much as I originally thought, I sure never thought I would end up being satisfied with cable.

In the five days I have had the HD DVR, I can tell that the amount of content that is out there is not as important as having something you want to see be available to watch WHEN you want to watch it.

Yeah, I don't think Voom ever really understood how important DVR was. I have both Voom and DirecTV with Tivo. I nearly always ended-up watching the SD program on Tivo just because it fit my schedule. If Voom hadn't closed down, I would have left because I can no longer live without time-shifted programs.

Stuart-B said:
Yeah, I don't think Voom ever really understood how important DVR was. I have both Voom and DirecTV with Tivo. I nearly always ended-up watching the SD program on Tivo just because it fit my schedule. If Voom hadn't closed down, I would have left because I can no longer live without time-shifted programs.

Exactly

Lars,

Where are you located? I had Charter cable before I had Voom and the PQ was dreadful. Once I upgraded to HD-TV sets it was unbearable. Has the PQ somehow gotten better in the last six months or maybe your area is better than mine? I'm in Keller, Texas.

Thanks,

Tony

Slightly off topic, but. I just had my Comcast install, lol I never realized InHD was so lame. I mean come on, anyone who ever touted InHD as something we were missing, while criticizing the Cinema10’s is a loon. Korean Sumo wrestling anyone? Or how about some nice college baseball…..

I’ll miss ye Voom.

B.Greenway said:
Slightly off topic, but. I just had my Comcast install, lol I never realized InHD was so lame. I mean come on, anyone who ever touted InHD as something we were missing, while criticizing the Cinema10’s is a loon. Korean Sumo wrestling anyone? Or how about some nice college baseball…..

I’ll miss ye Voom.
Don't forget high school basketball!! Now that's what I bought my HD set for.!sadroll

InHD2 is pretty cool though. A mixture of rock concerts, Equator-type programs, and a few movies. I'm kinda stuck in the sixties so I'm looking forward to a Jethro Tull concert they're carrying Friday night. And the Gram Parsons tribute was pretty awesome if you're into country-rock.

Again, off topic but you started it. :haha

tonyeggleston said:
Lars,

Where are you located? I had Charter cable before I had Voom and the PQ was dreadful. Once I upgraded to HD-TV sets it was unbearable. Has the PQ somehow gotten better in the last six months or maybe your area is better than mine? I'm in Keller, Texas.

Thanks,

Tony
For some reason, Charter seems to test a lot of things here in Birmingham. We were the first to get HD service (a whopping two channels) in 2001, the On Demand, etc. The PQ is better than ever before here, not sure why. Before getting Voom last July, I thought it was pretty bad, but now it looks much better, even on my 106" projector. In fact, we watched a movie from the HBO on demand channel (SD ony)this weekend on the PJ and it was quite watchable.

B.Greenway said:

I’ll miss ye Voom.
I think that HDNet and InHD were great back in the day (I have had HD service since I lived in South Florida from 98). When all we had were HBO and the D* demo channel, HDNet was great when we got it. Then we found out the only time we watched it was when we had people over and we wanted to show them HDTV. I think InHD is alot like that. Now that most network programming is in HD, and ESPNHD is up, I don't think many people spend time watching that stuff IMHO. It is a lot of repeats and obscure stuff that doesn't tickle the fancy of the masses. To me it was alot like some of the Voom stuff- impressive to look at, but not fun to actually WATCH.

I just got the notice this morning. It broke my heart. I really do love Voom and have enjoyed it. My wife did not watch much TV until we got Voom. She just loves it and she does not understand why not more people sighed up for Voom. We will never enjoy TV like we did with Voom. I just want to cry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)