E* New HD Package, are you satisfied so far?

I feel the same way about the programming, yes its HD but most of it STINKS.

I was disappointed to see that Discovery HD was made up of programs that were not part of the Discovery Channel lineup, I was expecting it to be a mirror of the main Discovery Channel.

ESPN-HD has the correct idea but poor implementation, they need more then 1 thing in HD every few days. When ESPN ramps up its HD offerings it will be a good channel.

HDnet has a hodgepodge of shows in HD but there seems to be no rhyme or reason its programming lineup.

HDNet movies is also not that great, while the picture is great there are no movies on it I want to see, and why is it every time I flip it on Stroker Ace is playing? :)

To each his own. I took a gander at the schedules over the next few days and saw quite a few things that appeal to my tastes:
HDNET - HDNET World Report (several different ones), Discoveries(several), Smart Travel Europe (maybe this was on PBS, but I missed it), True Music (several; on Tuesday there was a show on the group HEART); The Desert Speaks.
HDNET MOVIES - Eddie Murphy Raw, American Flyers, Prizzi's Honor, Ocean's Eleven

I have been fairly satisfied with DiscoveryHD over the past year (although it was overpriced), and it looks to me like I'll be watcing HDNET and HDNET Movies at least as much. The overall HD package is an order of magnitude better than DiscoveryHD alone, in terms of watchable hours of programming per dollar.

I'm so pleased, I'm on the verge of becoming a Mavericks fan!

Scott Greczkowski said:

I was disappointed to see that Discovery HD was made up of programs that were not part of the Discovery Channel lineup, I was expecting it to be a mirror of the main Discovery Channel.

ESPN-HD has the correct idea but poor implementation, they need more then 1 thing in HD every few days. When ESPN ramps up its HD offerings it will be a good channel.

HDnet has a hodgepodge of shows in HD but there seems to be no rhyme or reason its programming lineup.

HDNet movies is also not that great, while the picture is great there are no movies on it I want to see, and why is it every time I flip it on Stroker Ace is playing? :)

I'm glad I'm not as selective as you. And I don't believe that means I don't have good taste. In the past, I would watch something in HD just because it was in HD. Today, content is just as important. And I find many programs on Discovery HD to be very compelling and enjoyable. Many of the programs have been viewed more than once.

Within the "hodgepodge" of HDNet, I have seen many shows I look forward to seeing. No movies that you find interesting on HDNet Movies? It's hard to believe. I really enjoyed seeing the original "Oceans 11" in HD the other night on HDNet Movies, and I see other titles I'm looking forward to seeing.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about the HD movies on HBO and Showtime? I have to assume that most of those don't interest you either. Just what kind of programming or HD channels do you want? Will there be an HD channel that contains content that appeals to you 24/7? I recall your statement in which you felt that most subs would end up being very disappointed in the new HD package on Dish. I'm betting that you will be shown to be very wrong about that.

I'm very glad to have the additional channels on Dish. I'll watch them. Not because they are there, but because I find many of the programs to be very interesting.

Jerry good to see you here. :)

I felt the same way as you at one time, I am not a sports fan but I would watch Football, Baseball etc just because it was in HD.

Now my comments on the quality of programs that I have seen the past 2 days you must understand that I have been working long hours for both work and a big surprise I am working on for the site, my time in front of the TV has been limited. So I can only report on what I have seen so far. (and it may just be a coincodence that everytime I have turned on HDnet Movies so far Storker Ace has been on.

(I am looking forward to seeing Hogans Heros in HD!)

I enjoy HBO a little more then Showtime, I like watching good movies not these old movies from the late 70's early 80's that HDNet Movies seems to be running.

I am also glad to have the additional channels. I am sure I will like them more after my trip next week.

I enjoy HBO a little more then Showtime, I like watching good movies not these old movies from the late 70's early 80's that HDNet Movies seems to be running.
Many of these "old movies" from the 70s, 80s, and 90s are just as good or better than anything showing today. There's a lot more to a movie than late 90s era special effects. Last night's Oceans 11 was excellent.

There is not a channel on television with content that interests me seven days a week. As with any channel, you've got to find what you want to watch on Hdnet and schedule your viewing around it -- a HD PVR will help in that regard.

Instead of some of these channels coming out with a new one for HD why dont they have the same content for HD as they do for SD?

Stargazer,

Because HDTV versions of all content on the SD channels doesn't exist, isn't available, or isn't feasible given the original program source.

Very little content is actually acquired with HDTV cameras these days. And unless existing content has a quality source, like 35mm film, a HD transfer won't yield good results.

I am very satisfied so far, as a dischd sub. I suffered thru reruns but stayed the course. Now for slightly more a month I get 3 more channels. Caught parts of 2 college games in hd today( one was on cbs). I hardly leave the hdnets and in fact ordered a smaller hdtv for the bedroom today.

There was no baseball in HDTV today on ESPN.

Did you see the college football in HDTV on ESPN-HD today? If not, check out the NFL game tomorrow.

I too subscribe to the HD Package and find the HDNet movies very good. Like was previously stated, some of the older movies are excellent movies. Try them and I think that you will find some of them excellent. As for HDNet, I find many of its programs excellent also. Maybe you are being too critical. Watch a few of the programs and you should change you opinion.
The only problem that I see is just like Discovery HD, they all have too many reruns. Showing a movie over in various time slots is OK, like HBO does, but these new HD channels, beat some reruns to death.

I got to admit I got to watch a little of HDNet over the weekend, and I liked it!

Hogans Heros in HD is great!

This station can grown on your quickly. :)

Of course HDNet Movies was showing Stroker Ace again, why is this movie on everytime I turn on HDNet movies? :D

Its great watching those early 80's stock cars in HD. Whenever I see old Television Video footage of those cars, its always soo snowing and dirty. Plus its just a plain fun movie.

I am liking HDNet more and more! It grows on you. HDnet Movies is always showing Stroker Ace when I tune in and I will agree with everyone else in saying I am not impressed with Playmakers on ESPN-HD.

Just got my 6000 installed this morning. I knew what to expect with discover hd (which I love), hdnet seems like it will be a show I enjoy. Not sure about hdnet movies and the selection they will show, but we'll see.

I am quite disappointed with espn, especially after looking at their original hdtv content page. They don't even broadcast sportscenter in hd, which should be a straight forward change for them. Oh well, I'm sure it will get better.

ESPN-HD will take a bit of time to realize its value. Right now you are right, they aren't a full HD channel. Just a few games a week. But at least there are a few games a week. This time last year, it was HD starvation.

ESPN-HD has an HD capable studio under construction which will go online next spring. So good things are down the road. Until then enjoy the football and what else they have.

Early opinion of HD package

My early opinion of HD package is mixed but overall very good, HD net watching any sports, the concerts and the general programing are excellent the movie selection is hit and miss, (Ditto for HD
movies), when ESPN has programing in HD excellent otherwise I wont watch ESPN in HD.
Last but probably the best picture Discovery HD.
I will stick with it for awhile.

Re: Now I know why Charlie was waiting to put on HDTV

FAiello said:
Right now Comcast Cable has it all over Dish for HDTV in the Boston area. They have ABC-HD, NBC-HD, Fox-ED, ESPN-HD, PBS-HD, INHD, INHD2 (showing Red Sox and Bruins home games in HD), Showtime-HD, and HBO-HD.

Comcast is now adding CBS-HD, Cinemax-HD, and Stars-HD January 13th. Maybe now is the time to switch to cable. Since Charlie does not believe there is any worth while HD programing out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)