E10 locking with low signal level

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Clancy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
I have noticed that an E10 spotbeam transponder is locking on a signal going into a #311 receiver with a low level of 16. This has been happening now for about a week.
Although I am not subbing to anything on the spot transponder to tell what it is, none the less it is locking with a signal level of 16.
Prior to the operation of E10, the best lock on a signal with this receiver was about 50 signal level from other satellites.

Has anyone else noticed receivers locking on spotbeam transponders at very low input levels? That is to say, lower than you used to require for a lock up.

Yes, I have seen it too.

IF you will turn your receiver to say a channel like 121 which is on Echostar 8 check your sat meter and your transponder strength should go back up . There are two satellites up there now; Echostar 8 which has the national channels on the transponders and Echostar 10 which has the spotbeams of the sd locals and some hd locals.

I noticed this and got worried when I got like no strength on any of the transponders for the national channels like History international so I checked it as I said above and boom; All the transponders came back up full strength. Don't know why it seems to lock on the echostar 10 spotbeam sat when I have don't sub to any locals over 110 , but it does.

Thanks MikeD-CO5 for the reply.
My observation I am pointing out refers only to a signal from a spotbeam transponder from the new satellite E10. The spotbeam is out of my location but some signal measuring on a #311 receiver with a reading of 16 is locking up and presumably able to be used.
Prior to E10, readings from satellites required about a reading of 50 minimum to lock up on the #311 receiver.
Now from E10 it appears a reading of 16 is locking up.
Perhaps someone from Dishnetwork can explain this.
Just curious that's all. :confused:

A satellite receiver will lock onto any signal that it is designed to receive and that includes spotbeams whether you subscribe to locals or not. I have noticed in the past that I would get a signal lock as low as the low to mid 30's but it seemed like the picture would not work that well. Are you actually able to get a picture at 16-20% signal lock?

I see what your getting at! It is strange to get a lock at 16.

Here's another strange one, try it, on my 625 I get a low signal, but a lock, on a spotbeam transponder. When I move the T# up to a strong signal and then back to the weak one, the signal reading remains strong. wtf?

To get the low reading I must tune to a spotbeam channel then go to sig meter screen.

E*,s signal screens are junk.

Stargazer said:
A satellite receiver will lock onto any signal that it is designed to receive and that includes spotbeams whether you subscribe to locals or not. I have noticed in the past that I would get a signal lock as low as the low to mid 30's but it seemed like the picture would not work that well. Are you actually able to get a picture at 16-20% signal lock?

Thanks Inwo and Stargazer for your replies.
I understand a sub. is not required for the signal meter to lock on a transponder.
When you describe receiving a locked signal in the low 30's with a picture that did not work that well, do you mean it was tiling?
Whenever I see tiling it is because of a weak signal that is not locking properly.
This can be for any number of things such as rain, snow, equipment failure , etc.
This usually can be monitored with the signal meter.
My current situation from an E10 spotbeam transponder is a complete , constant lock with a signal level of 16.
Prior to E10, my receiver required a reading of about 50 for the same lockup.
It would appear that satellite E10 from one of its spotbeam transponders is capable of locking on my #311 at a much lower signal level.

Thats funny, I noticed just the opposite effect. Now with E10 up there, I'm having trouble locking onto most 110 transponders, even with very strong sigs, near 100. Still locking easily on 119 and 61.5 though. Can anybody explain this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)