E3 Playstation 3 NEWS!

GeorgeLV said:
Not everybody wants a Blu-ray player that can play games. As a gaming machine, the PS3 is grossly overpriced; it doesn't offer anything of substance to differentiate it from the Xbox 360.

I totally agree!!

~Alan

GeorgeLV said:
Honestly, how many of you use your PS2 or Xbox/360 as your primary DVD player? Why on earth would you use a 360 or a PS3 as your primary HD-DVD or Blu-ray player? So you can hear the cooling fan over the dialog? Unless you can do the mental gymnastics to convince yourself that you'll use the PS3 as your high definition video format player, it's just a gaming machine on par with the 360 that costs at least $200 more.

The only reason I would use a PS3 for Blu-Ray discs is because the cheapest stand-alone player is twice the price of the PS3.

Other than that, I have NEVER once used my (regular) XBox as a DVD player (not when DVD players are so cheap)... but as long as the PS3 is cheaper than a stand-alone player and the add-on for XBox 360 can be bought for a little extra, and you know that whatever happens, you still have a PS3 or a XBox 360, I feel that it's a good deal for those of us interested in sinking our feet into a HD format...

~Alan

I have an old RCA 27" TV with s-video to which I have my PS2 connected, and it works great for me watching the occasianal movie when I'm not playing a game on it.

I'm not an early adopter of technology, so I still don't have an HD compatible TV, and I'm in no hurry to jump into HD.

People, please think. The PS3 Core does not have HDMI? Ok when have we ever seen a console have outputs on the back of it. We always get the proprietary cord that hooks into the back of the box. THis is like saying that the XBOX 360 Core cannot do component b/c it does not come with the cables. Completely wrong. I have the Core version b/c its the only one that was left after waiting 15 hours , and i upgraded everyting that day and can do HD. It's the same thing here. Pay 50 bucks for the HDMI connector and alls well.

I will note howevr, that sony could be using all outputs from the back of the unit, I'm not sure, but if they are using their proprietary console connector, and we all know sony likes making proprietary stuff, then this makes sense. But you'd be stupid to buy that one unless you cant get the other one. If thats the case I'll buy the cheap one and buy all the add ons the same day like i did for the 360. The sad thing is I hardly ever play them, but I just like to say i own them.

hpman247 said:
People, please think. The PS3 Core does not have HDMI? Ok when have we ever seen a console have outputs on the back of it. We always get the proprietary cord that hooks into the back of the box.

The expensive version has an HDMI output. From what I have read, there is NOT going to be any way to upgrade the PS3, like you did with the 360.

Alan Gordon said:
The only reason I would use a PS3 for Blu-Ray discs is because the cheapest stand-alone player is twice the price of the PS3.
Other than that, I have NEVER once used my (regular) XBox as a DVD player (not when DVD players are so cheap)... but as long as the PS3 is cheaper than a stand-alone player and the add-on for XBox 360 can be bought for a little extra, and you know that whatever happens, you still have a PS3 or a XBox 360, I feel that it's a good deal for those of us interested in sinking our feet into a HD format...

~Alan
I agree.....if I buy the PS3 it will be a huge bonus that it plays Blu-Ray discs. BUT....I am not even considering buying a BR stand alone for 1000 bucks. As it is the 600 bucks would be too much for me. I was holding out to see what machine (360 or PS3) would offer the most bang for the buck. If XBOX lowers their price on their current unit and includes an add on option for HD dvd for 100 bucks or so....it would be a no brainer for me. I just wish their wasn't a format war....their really is no need for it at all.

I wont be buying a ps3 till the price is sub 300 probably not even then. I love my 360 its lightyears ahead of my Xbox. I do use my 360 as my primary DVD player... it works excellent... I havent had a single problem with that.... I cant hear it during a DVD because A. I like to be able to hear my tv and dont watch movies MUTED and B. its in an entertainment cabinet... ya know glass door on front diflects sound?.

Will I buy the HD-DVD palyer for the 360? probably.. IF they tell me they have a way to deal with HDCP AND can use a HDMI->DVI cable... my TV has DVI with HDCP.

No Rumble on the PS3... can you say Losers in Lawsuit? jesus pay that company the royalties and put it in... hell Ide prefer rumble over tilt.

IMHO this time sony loses... before they even make it to the gate they are screwed... they are going to launch a console with BlueRay simply because they want that format to take off... well the game players arent going to buy it... theres 3/4 of their sales. I can see a lot of Xbox converts soon.

now... am I an Xbox fanboy... NOPE I jsut see them winning this one... sorry sony.

As for Nintendo... they are in a different race... they are bringign in outsiders and making games fun again... am I getting a Wii hell yeah.. I cant wait to play golf, tennis, baseball... Excitetruck, ZELDA shoot that controller has me in Awe.

i got a 360 and i cant wait for ps3. the cheapest blue-ray player around. it will be nice to see some real HD instead of the watered downed stuff we get from E and D. and why not have both, i work hard.

pez419 said:
i got a 360 and i cant wait for ps3. the cheapest blue-ray player around. it will be nice to see some real HD instead of the watered downed stuff we get from E and D. and why not have both, i work hard.
Why not get the HD DVD add on for around $200?

im a hardcore gamer i gotta have the multiplatforms for the exclusives. so why just get the hd-dvd add on when i can have exclusives for both?

chrisw27 said:
At least the 20gb version will work on old HDTVs without the need for HDCP copy protection or whatever it is.
Untill the Hollywood demands HDCP and your 20gb version down rez's to 480p:(

Alan Gordon said:

~Alan
Anyone remeber when the selling point for the PS2, when released, was that it could play DVD's? The PS2 is one lousy DVD player. My thinking is that wait 6 mos to a year and the HD DVD players will sink in price.

But how long had DVD players been out before ps2 hit? It's not quite the same this time...It won't be as hard to get people to see the benefits of digital discs now that everyone is hooked on DVD's. Getting people who really hadn't been buying VHS movies to start buying DVD's was a big deal.

First, I will be very surprised if the XBOX360 HD-DVD drive comes in under $250.00. Reason is simple, HD-DVD while less expensive than Blu-Ray is still not cheap.

As a side bar to this -- it has been reported that the new Panasonic HD-DVD drive now selling does not do the new HD sound codecs over HDMI. It currently only does Hi-Rez sound over two channels. What good will a HD-DVD add-on do if you can only get the HD picture and not the HD sound?

Mr Sony himself, Ken (whatever), stated that the PS3 would support all the new Dolby Digital codecs. We shall see.

Kutaragi is a known liar...and sony changes their mind constantly. Look at what the ps3 had in terms of hardware last year compared to now, they dropped a lot of things that garnered a lot of buzz for them last year...

JoeSp said:
First, I will be very surprised if the XBOX360 HD-DVD drive comes in under $250.00. Reason is simple, HD-DVD while less expensive than Blu-Ray is still not cheap.

As a side bar to this -- it has been reported that the new Panasonic HD-DVD drive now selling does not do the new HD sound codecs over HDMI. It currently only does Hi-Rez sound over two channels. What good will a HD-DVD add-on do if you can only get the HD picture and not the HD sound?

Mr Sony himself, Ken (whatever), stated that the PS3 would support all the new Dolby Digital codecs. We shall see.

I'd be *really* surprised if it'd be more than $250. In fact I expect it for less but later - something like around July-August, just in time to catch the story *before* PS3...

Microsoft NEEDS to embarass Sony to try and seize control of the #1 market share position. Look for them to make themselves cheaper than Sony to try and arrest Sony's momentum (although Sony's boffo huge price point may take care of that for them).

Do you think they really want to embarass sony and have to look over their shoulder next time? I think MS would be happy to be next to sony at the top...

No, I doubt it, Puro. MS' classic business modell is to 'conquer and dominate' 0 they want to dethrone Sony and rule the dekstop console market, just like the OS market. Keep in mind: unlike Sony, they will make a *LOT* of extra money from Windows MCE sales, Live subs etc extras. ALso it'd give them VC-1 userbase in the tens of millions range etc etc.

It's a win-win for MS - but they have to conquer the top...

I think MS is a little different than it used to be. Bill seems to be losing that cut-throat character trait he used to have. Giving away all your money and pissing off your kids in the process changes a man...

I see no reason to believe that MS is trying everything to dethrone sony, which would be exactly the strategy to use if they wanted to dethrone sony...You can't hope they screw up, you have to attack and I don't really see that. They're attacking, but not guns-out, balls blazing on the offensive...

If they had wrapped up GTA as exclusive I may not feel that way...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)