(EA) 1000.2

allenmc_ SUI

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
O does anyone know when the new ea .2 will be coming out. From what I hear there will be one that hits 61.5 and 72 , and possibly another that includes 77. And one more thing I've been hearing might happen is dish might make it where SD receivers will work on ea but that's just hear say

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I heard the rumor that SD receivers would work on Eastern Arc also, and there would be a 1000.2 Dish for Eastern Arc to get 61.5 and 72.

I think both ideas are stupid...

#1 Eastern Arc is running MPEG4 8PSK. If you allow Standard definition receivers, you can keep the 8PSK part as most SD receivers have the 8PSK chipset, however you loose the advantage of running an entire MPEG4 platform and run into an upgrade situation in the future.

#2 Why introduce another LNB that only picks up 2 satellites instead of all 3? Directv did the same thing several years ago when they had the Dish that got 101 and 119. Sure they are only licensed for 3 transponders at 110, but why not take advantage of them when your dealing with only a few dollars in hardware during the initial installation.

Not trying to sound negative about Dish, but they had the right idea when they came out with eastern arc. They should keep it as an all MPEG4 8PSK Platform with access to 3 DBS Satellites.

That would be a big waste of bandwidth on EA if they shifted SD content from MPEG4 to MPEG2. WA needs to shift from QPSK to 8PSK, and MPEG2 to MPEG4 on the SD TPs.

As for the EA 1000.2, haven't heard much about it recently, it was discussed here a couple of months ago when it popped up on dish's site, but so far nobody seems to have one, at least on this site.

But there are so many times I have nlos but if I could go ea they could get Los I mean some people just can not afford to sign up for hd

The answer isn't to put SD receivers on the EA, the answer is to eliminate SD receivers.

Just like analog bag phones, the time is for SD receivers to go. Even if they were purchased, their useful life is over. The WA with all HD receivers would mean a whole lot more channels could be available.

its cheaper and the 77 is used for latino programming. Also work order with sd equipment calls for wa .2. Dish is just trying to slim down the number of Dishes.

But there are so many times I have nlos but if I could go ea they could get Los I mean some people just can not afford to sign up for hd

You are assuming there would be a cost...... That may not always be the case.
The answer is as plain as daylight - no more SD receivers in cases like yours. Can't see WA, then you have to go HD receiver. And stop giving anymore SD receivers for WA.

Wouldn't a .2EA just be a dish 500, it can be used for 61.5 and 72.7 now? At the most a slightly modified "Y" yoke could peak EA signals.

Not knowing how Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 are applied to Sat service I could be wrong with this statement, but SD content should be able to be encoded in an Mpeg4 stream. So I'm not following the need to drop SD receivers at this time. Perhaps the better question here is are people suggesting that only SD receivers be dropped while SD service would still be maintained there by allowing Dish to consolidate it's equipment line? Get a HD box but choose if you wish HD service or not. I do understand that bandwidth is being used for the duplication of SD/HD channels but there will be SD only sets in customers homes for quite some years to come.

If all the receivers were HD, all the transponders could be in MPG-4 which provides more channels per transponder. Having non-HD receivers holds Dish back from adding more channels by condensing the number of channels per transponder.

Removing the need of an HD subscription to have an HD receiver would be a step towards improving channel availability.

Not knowing how Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 are applied to Sat service I could be wrong with this statement, but SD content should be able to be encoded in an Mpeg4 stream. So I'm not following the need to drop SD receivers at this time.
Dish SD receivers do not support mpeg4. Since all of EA (SD & HD) is mpeg4 anyone installed on EA gets a VIP receiver even if they only have SD service. Dish could probably build an SD only mpeg4 capable receiver, but I doubt there is any advantage for them to do so.

Dish is still shipping mpeg2 receivers, which makes it obvious that Dish is in no hurry to get rid of mpeg2. The question is, what do they see that we do not? Is it the cost to replace the millions of mpeg2 receivers that are already in service and they are in no hurry to add more channels, since they are already ahead of D in channels other than sports.

Dish is still shipping mpeg2 receivers, which makes it obvious that Dish is in no hurry to get rid of mpeg2. The question is, what do they see that we do not? Is it the cost to replace the millions of mpeg2 receivers that are already in service and they are in no hurry to add more channels, since they are already ahead of D in channels other than sports.

I've thought along the same lines, but does anyone know if SD receivers are still in production? Are they working with existing stock and refurbs or are new units coming off the production lines?

Dish SD receivers do not support mpeg4. Since all of EA (SD & HD) is mpeg4 anyone installed on EA gets a VIP receiver even if they only have SD service. Dish could probably build an SD only mpeg4 capable receiver, but I doubt there is any advantage for them to do so.

Ahhh so that is what I was missing. Wasn't aware that no SD receivers supported mpeg4. I agree can't see any advantage to building a new SD only mpeg4 receiver and now can see where over time they would start replacing SD only with VIPs while still providing SD service for those who do not require HD.

Well 1 thing there doing right now is taking 322 s and turning them into 311k receivers which I hate cause it takes so much longer to run a check switch cause both sat 1 and 2 inputs are back there so input 1 is quick but input 2 takes forever with no feed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)