Early cancellation fee?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bonnjer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
I have been with Directv since August 2006. I'm moving to Dish for the locals, but wanted to ask about the early cancellation fee.

I am still using the same receivers that I got when I started (standard def D11-800's). I have maintained the minimum programming. I did move up one level in channel package and I added Starz a while back, but would that change trigger a new commitment period? I certainly hope not because I don't want to be stuck with an early termination fee.

I have been with Directv since August 2006. I'm moving to Dish for the locals, but wanted to ask about the early cancellation fee.

I am still using the same receivers that I got when I started (standard def D11-800's). I have maintained the minimum programming. I did move up one level in channel package and I added Starz a while back, but would that change trigger a new commitment period? I certainly hope not because I don't want to be stuck with an early termination fee.

Programming changes shouldn't change your commitment. Have you called to verify if you are "free"? BTW, where are you located? You may be getting locals soon.

I have not called to check yet...was hoping someone here would be able to provide an answer first.

I'm located in central Louisiana, 71331 zip code. As far as I've seen, locals are not coming to Directv for my area in the near future.

From Sky Report

A Bad Day for DIRECTV

Some days you just can’t win and Tuesday was definitely one of those for DIRECTV. While rival DISH enjoyed an up-day (see yesterday’s Evening BRIDGE), DIRECTV took a double-whammy from its NFL Sunday Ticket woes plus a consumer lawsuit over allegedly illegal early cancellation penalties.

As reported yesterday, numerous NFL Sunday Ticket fans found their TVs festooned with error messages rather than football players this past weekend ... and one New York Times blogger attributed the problem to the DBS leader’s decision to no longer broadcast Sunday Ticket games via MPEG 2, preferring to keep them to the newer MPEG 4 format. It amounts, said the blogger, to a “blackout policy” on subscribers with older equipment.

Meanwhile, news broke on a lawsuit filed by California consumers who say they’re being charged “early cancellation penalties” which DIRECTV has deducted automatically from their bank accounts or charged to their credit cards without permission. A motion for a preliminary injunction filed in Los Angeles Superior Court claims that DIRECTV “systematically withdrawing the fees of up to $480” when customers terminate their service.

Said Harvey Rosenfield, founder of the non-profit Consumer Watchdog, one of the attorneys in the case in a press release, "These days, many families are struggling to make ends meet. Now is the last time DIRECTV should be plundering people's financial accounts to pay a fee that we believe is unlawful."

Similar lawsuits have reportedly been filed in federal courts, including in California.

Said a DIRECTV spokesperson on the controversy: "Contrary to the statement in the press release, DIRECTV does not withdraw money from its customers’ bank accounts or credit cards without their consent. DIRECTV only charges an early cancellation fee to a customer's credit or debit card after the customer authorizes the charge so there is nothing for the Court to enjoin. Customers are informed of and consent to these charges on multiple occasions, and DIRECTV intends to vigorously defend against these claims in this litigation."

As for the NFL Sunday Ticket, DIRECTV pinned the problem on older receivers whose program guides have limited memory capacity. Said a spokesperson, "We have to minimize the number of titles available in the guide, including some sports subscription titles, in order to keep these receivers running smoothly. This issue has only affected less than 10% of our customer base and we are working quickly to upgrade these older receivers, at no cost, to mitigate any future problems."

The company also notes that NFL games continue to be broadcast in standard def via MPEG 2.•
Back to Top | Write the Editor

The Money in Satellite

I have not called to check yet...was hoping someone here would be able to provide an answer first.
Only you can find out what your commitment is.

As raoul5788 points out, a programming change does not trigger a commitment extension but there are other things that may (like a service call or defective receiver replacement).

In quite a few cases these extensions are not warranted but they are executed nonetheless.

Ok, I will end up calling to check.

I have never had a service call or receiver replacement/upgrade. The only thing I've ever had was the Movers Connection a couple months back when we moved, but there is nothing that I can see about Movers Connection extending a commitment.

Update:

Just called and spoke with a CSR. Her words, "I'm showing that you are no longer under commitment with us."

Very nice...Dish Network and local channels, here I come.

Update:

Just called and spoke with a CSR. Her words, "I'm showing that you are no longer under commitment with us."

Very nice...Dish Network and local channels, here I come.

Good to hear. I found out the other day that ETF are prorated. I started in November 2008 and was told canceling after Oct 1st was $260. I only asked because of the dispute with VS.

You might consider "moving" to Baton Rouge. You are likely close enough to get their local hd channels.

I assume that when a person upgrades his equipment so he can get mpeg 4 and see the ST that he already paid for, this will trigger a new 2 yr committment

Any additional or upgraded equipment extends the commitment.

it sucks and totally uncalled for if you ask me...

i upgraded once, and saw im stuck with a new 2 year contract. THEN my standard SD reciver puked, they gave me a new one and its a HD, they didnt extend my contract. i dunno.

just seems like a "cross your fingers" guess

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts