Early Samsung Blu-ray Players Ship with Chip Mistake

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have a $1000 DVD player -- the Denon 3910 and it is worth everything I paid for it. Upconversions are flawless and the sound reproduction using the players audio chips blow my Denon receiver away. Now is $1000 for a Blu-Ray too much? Only the market can tell. I could have bought a much cheaper player (In fact I had a Samsung that basically crapped all over my films) but when I purchased the Denon player I noticed a night and day differance between a great player and a so-so player.

That out of the way, I think Toshiba HD player is too low -- they are losing boatloads of money on the HD-DVD players they are selling and they do not own a movie studio to help make back the loss. They are also going to be losing about $200 each on their PC HD-DVD drive when it comes out next month. Toshiba also does not have the manufaturing muscle that Sony has. Is this why Toshiba is still looking to find a compromise with Sony and the Blu-Ray camp?

Sony will also lose boatloads of money on the PS3 but they not only have a movie studio the PS3 is also a game platform and they will be making money from these two product lines to help with the loss on the PS3. Now will they sell enough PS3s is the question. Also, their stand alone Blu-Ray player is going to be $1000 -- they probably are not going to lose much if anything on that player.

My confusion here is over why there are signifcantly more manufacturers out there in the Blu-Ray camp (both player manufacturers and movie studios) then in the HD-DVD camp? Will this change (I think so) and when will that happen?

I am not doubting the current supperior PQ between the HD-DVD product currently and the current state of the Blu-Ray product. But, and I say this with some reservation (compression tech used, movie prints used, dual layer available) this differance is not going to be there in 6 months. I believe they will stand toe to toe and I believe that the world market is big enough for both to survive. Now as to who has enough money to still be standing 18 months from now who knows.

Toshiba is betting the farm with SED as a new HDTV tech and they are basically throwing their cards into one hat. Right now it is Toshiba who has strategically placed their company at the risk line not Sony. The new SED tech is going to be very expensive to own (and absolutely groundbreaking from the few reviews I have read) and if Toshiba can hold on they should come out smelling like a rose. However, their gambit with HD-DVD needs a few shots in the arm and one would be more movie studios producing HD-DVD movies. When that happens, HD-DVD will then become more profitable for Toshiba and they might finally make some money.

Last edited:
Please dont step in this

JoeSp said:
I have a $1000 DVD player -- the Denon 3910 and it is worth everything I paid for it. Upconversions are flawless and the sound reproduction using the players audio chips blow my Denon receiver away. Now is $1000 for a Blu-Ray too much? Only the market can tell. I could have bought a much cheaper player (In fact I had a Samsung that basically crapped all over my films) but when I purchased the Denon player I noticed a night and day differance between a great player and a so-so player.

That 1000 dollar DVD player is now obsolete, you'd better sell it fast. Far better PQ and audio is output from the $499.00 HD DVD player

JoeSp said:
That out of the way, I think Toshiba HD player is too low -- they are losing boatloads of money on the HD-DVD players they are selling and they do not own a movie studio to help make back the loss.
Pure speculation http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=703342&page=2

JoeSp said:
Sony will also lose boatloads of money on the PS3 but they not only have a movie studio the PS3 is also a game platform and they will be making money from these two product lines to help with the loss on the PS3. Now will they sell enough PS3s is the question. Also, their stand alone Blu-Ray player is going to be $1000 -- they probably are not going to lose much if anything on that player.

If it doesnt sell, they lose boatloads. You think tooling up for production of things is free? :rolleyes:

JoeSp said:
My confusion here is over why there are signifcantly more manufacturers out there in the Blu-Ray camp (both player manufacturers and movie studios) then in the HD-DVD camp? Will this change (I think so) and when will that happen? .
Last time I checked there were more HD DVD player models for sale than BluRay players.

I am not doubting the current supperior PQ between the HD-DVD product currently and the current state of the Blu-Ray product. But, and I say this with some reservation (compression tech used, movie prints used, dual layer available) this differance is not going to be there in 6 months. I believe they will stand toe to toe and I believe that the world market is big enough for both to survive. Now as to who has enough money to still be standing 18 months from now who knows.

JoeSp said:
The new SED tech is going to be very expensive to own (and absolutely groundbreaking from the few reviews I have read) and if Toshiba can hold on they should come out smelling like a rose.

"Unfortunately, the electronics maker was hush-hush on pricing for SEDs and would not even venture to give us a ballpark figure for these televisions. That noted, previous reports on the technology state that it can be mass-produced on a cheaper scale than competing plasma or LCD televisions. " http://gear.ign.com/articles/679/679235p1.html

Watch your step everyone. Someone crapped on the floor.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Sounds like damage control. I wonder if any of it is true. :rolleyes:

And if it is true it just goes to show how little QC/QA is being done at samsung. No one bothered to look at the picture before they went to market?

This is not the first time that Samsung has screwed up in first generation gadgets. They did the same with their DLP tvs in trying to rush them before they were ready. I will never buy a first generation of anything that has the name of Samsung on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)