EAS National Test November 9th

They sent that out everywhere. Nice pipes, but NO substance to the script. Basically a free commercial for FEMA. Doesn't talk enough about the length, real purpose, or that this test is different than the usual ones. Voice makes it almost sound like a TV parody!

We chose not to run this, but rather to explain the test to listeners during our live shows, and yes...even make a CONTEST out of it. No broadcaster is allowed to use the sounds of the EAS test in regular programming, (illegal.) but they didn't tell us we couldn't turn a nationwide test taking place into a "keep listening" contest for those who know not to change the station by hanging in there through it!

Now, here's a real funny one. The upcoming test requires all broadcasters to fill out an online form, then two others. 3 forms for one test! The first of these forms asks for your longitude and latitude of the transmitter/control point of your facility. But, the FCC wants it in a DIFFERENT format than what is printed on your license to broadcast! You have to CONVERT it to their format. Came as a surprise to an engineer or two today when I called them......Typical government red tape! We couldn't possibly ask a broadcaster to put on a form the information that MATCHES our license issued by the same agency, now could we?????

They sent that out everywhere. Nice pipes, but NO substance to the script. Basically a free commercial for FEMA. Doesn't talk enough about the length, real purpose, or that this test is different than the usual ones. Voice makes it almost sound like a TV parody!

We chose not to run this, but rather to explain the test to listeners during our live shows, and yes...even make a CONTEST out of it. No broadcaster is allowed to use the sounds of the EAS test in regular programming, (illegal.) but they didn't tell us we couldn't turn a nationwide test taking place into a "keep listening" contest for those who know not to change the station by hanging in there through it!

Now, here's a real funny one. The upcoming test requires all broadcasters to fill out an online form, then two others. 3 forms for one test! The first of these forms asks for your longitude and latitude of the transmitter/control point of your facility. But, the FCC wants it in a DIFFERENT format than what is printed on your license to broadcast! You have to CONVERT it to their format. Came as a surprise to an engineer or two today when I called them......Typical government red tape! We couldn't possibly ask a broadcaster to put on a form the information that MATCHES our license issued by the same agency, now could we?????

This is where I found that clip...and it does say all must participate

From NAB.org
ALL RADIO AND TELEVISION STATIONS MUST PARTICIPATE IN THE NATIONAL EAS TEST.

The purpose of the test is to help government organizations and EAS Participants (radio and TV broadcast stations, cable operators and satellite radio and TV) to determine the reliability of the EAS system. It is not a "pass-fail" exercise. However, the first National EAS Test will serve as a benchmark for measuring the effectiveness of the EAS system, and for improvements in the EAS system going forward. FEMA and the FCC intend to conduct National EAS Tests on an annual basis (although not always on November 9).

National Association of Broadcasters

It's possible you misunderstood my posting. The "PSA" doesn't explain to the public enough what the test is. The broadcasters, like we, are well aware of why the test, but FEMA has done less than a good job of educating the public through ALL available means. Yes, we have to run the test. All authorized EAS stations must; but, yes, we can have FUN with it, too....after the 2 to 3 minutes of FEMA hell.

If I judged your posting wrong, I apologize, but thought you may have misunderstood my most recent post here which referred to the PSA, not the test itself. (except the part about the paperwork, of course which DOES directly refer to the test.)

Cheers!

KEWL but no one had confirmed it here. So had no idea that this existed as I don't visit there.

Perfect example of how poorly FEMA has handled the P.R. of this government mandate.

So, what would your impression be on that day if you had not heard of the test coming, and EVERY station you went to had this for the first time in history?
There are some who would be concerned, not hear the words "only a test" if that part of the message is not playing at that point in the 3-ish minutes.....especially if they change their radios' and tvs' stations and its everwhere!

Last edited:
Perfect example of how poorly FEMA has handled the P.R. of this government mandate.

So, what would your impression be on that day if you had not heard of the test coming, and EVERY station you went to had this for the first time in history?
There are some who would be concerned, not hear the words "only a test" if that part of the message is not playing at that point in the 3-ish minutes.....especially if they change their radios' and tvs' stations and its everwhere!

Let alone the facts that the on screen graphic could say contrary to what the audio is saying. Something perhaps (on screen) about this is not a test / a emergency action notification message issued by the president. Yeah, I will admit they could have done a much better job on that PSA. Furthermore, at least here - have yet to hear any local newscasts even mention it (on TV).

Brownie your doing a great job. So to speak. I would most likely be ROFLMAO. As I'd check local and see the same thing. Then as soon as it ends they go to regular programming: I'd know for sure that they screwed the pooch again(FEMA).

Let alone the facts that the on screen graphic could say contrary to what the audio is saying. Something perhaps (on screen) about this is not a test / a emergency action notification message issued by the president. Yeah, I will admit they could have done a much better job on that PSA. Furthermore, at least here - have yet to hear any local newscasts even mention it (on TV).

Cue Orson Welles! :)

So today, ONE WEEK before the "big test" they've made broadcasters jump-through-hoops to be part-of by their mandate, the FCC/FEMA in their infinite wisdom sent out an update:

Similar to local emergency alert system tests, during the nationwide test on November 9, an audio message will interrupt television and radio programming indicating: “This is a test.” The nationwide test will last approximately 30 seconds instead of 2-3 minutes, as originally announced. This change has been made to reduce the disruption to the American public, while still maintaining our ability to test the system’s nationwide capabilities.

I feel totally embarrassed at the FCC and FEMA's handling of this. They've put broadcasters' in a position of looking like total and complete boobs after trying SO hard to educate our individual public audience (be it local AM, FM, TV, Cable, Whatever) to the test and its original plan and to note be alarmed. Now, its so short, the public won't notice at all beyond what a normal weekly test-is, except that it's everywhere. Who else but our government can change the rules with such short notice?

Its obvious without SAYING it, by reading between the lines....that like it has been posted here by some, Public knowledge of this test was near zero, and they ARE worried about scaring the public. Furthermore, every station has to fill out a PRE test form to the FCC (multiple ones if you have more than one station) and TWO MORE after the test! As Colonel Potter used to say on M*A*S*H....."Horse Hockey!" (or another of his favorites.)

Thank you, FCC.

Ever since I dumped exspensivecasts tv service and been with dish, I haven't had to put up with one single annoying irritating amber alert or eas garbage. So think of that before going back to your cable company and getting tv service before dumping dish or direct!

Internet Radio and Netflix streaming is not affected I hope. I hate those uselss EAS tests. They are worthless. I want to watch tv or listen to music and not hear fax machine sounds blasting for two minutes.

unless the internet radio stream is from a actual radio station in the US that has to do the EAS Test by order of the FCC as it's part of the rules of being a radio station in the US, you must have an EAS test one a month/week.

FCC can shove it. These EAS test have to be the most useless thing ever. Most of my internet radio listening is from online only stations like DI.fm, Sky.fm, 977 Music and Soma.fm. Those stations won't have to run these useless tests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)