East Coast (NC) signal strength question DISH vs Directv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The solution to your Internet needs is to use WiFi (G or N, depending on distance/interference and bandwidth needs,) HomePlug, run your own CAT5 network, move your modem, or create your own MoCA network. Dish/DirecTV/U-verse coaxial networks are designed for the sole purpose of providing television/Internet to their own receivers, not for general Internet usage.

The solution to your Internet needs is to use WiFi (G or N, depending on distance/interference and bandwidth needs,) HomePlug, run your own CAT5 network, move your modem, or create your own MoCA network. Dish/DirecTV/U-verse coaxial networks are designed for the sole purpose of providing television/Internet to their own receivers, not for general Internet usage.
Yet Directv's deca\moca works perfectly doing this very thing. Just wish DISH did this too.
Like I said it's disappointing but obviously with my install tomorrow, not a deal breaker.

Yet Directv's deca\moca works perfectly doing this very thing.

It's great that it worked for you, but it is far from a "perfect" solution. It uses up precious CPU cycles on the HR22 (and they need all the CPU power they can get, considering that they have the bare minimum to begin with.) Not only that, but it can also affect MRV performance, as well as TV performance on other DVRs/receivers. This is why DirecTV doesn't support it. The whole purpose of DECA/MoCA/HomePNA (for TV providers anyway) is to provide an isolated network that is not affected by other, non-supported computers.

Ok, I pulled the trigger. They will be out tomorrow to do the install.
I am looking forward to the call to Directv where they offer me the sun and moon to stay. Then of course the tone will change when I say NO and they tell me to box up the LNBs and I say you can climb up on my roof but I'm not. :)
Oh well, I guess I'll be doing some cable management tonight in preparation.
Thanks for all the help.

What? are you saying DirecTV now wants their LNBs back after you cancel? Thought only DISH did this,no matter just tell them you can't reach it,but they can send a tech out anytime to retrieve it.Of course they normally decline that offer.;)

Well cancelled D* today and no they did NOT mention their LNBs. E* was the last provider I had cancelled so that was what I was thinking of.
I tried to help out my fellow D* subs on my way out by saying the reason for leaving was the lack of support for HBO Go on the Roku. Of course they probably don't really care.

I did end up with average to above average signals for my E* install. So, happy about that. Already missing the trick play on the TV that the Joey is installed on though but over all pretty satisfied.
I do have an issue with my DISH Online - Your TV Everywhere. Watch. Record. Rent. account (not able to launch "Guide") that so far the CSRs have failed to impress me since they can't deviate from their script and keep asking me browser questions when I have given them my name and password to prove it is an account problem. It has been escalated to an engineer which makes no sense but I'll see what happens.

Well cancelled D* today and no they did NOT mention their LNBs. E* was the last provider I had cancelled so that was what I was thinking of.
I tried to help out my fellow D* subs on my way out by saying the reason for leaving was the lack of support for HBO Go on the Roku. Of course they probably don't really care.

I did end up with average to above average signals for my E* install. So, happy about that. Already missing the trick play on the TV that the Joey is installed on though but over all pretty satisfied.
I do have an issue with my DISH Online - Your TV Everywhere. Watch. Record. Rent. account (not able to launch "Guide") that so far the CSRs have failed to impress me since they can't deviate from their script and keep asking me browser questions when I have given them my name and password to prove it is an account problem. It has been escalated to an engineer which makes no sense but I'll see what happens.

You will have a much easier time contacting dirt here on site than chatting with the csrs.

Yes, DIRT is your best bet by far. Most of the CSRs are clueless about anything other than unplug/replug your receiver. DIRT members actually have knowledge. You should always contact them with any concerns. Just be glad that you're a SatGuys member with access to DIRT. It's a shame that all CSRs aren't like DIRT, but the American standard has allowed CS to get pretty crummy no matter what company you go for. Americans are supporting crummy CS by paying their bills every month. Granted, these days, every company has bad CS therefore there is no way around it, except for (if you're lucky) switching to smaller companies.

Ok, I have never contacted dirt. How is this done?
I still haven't heard back from D* after giving them my name a password to use until they fix the problem and I still have the problem. :(

Click on the "forum" link in the blue bar at the top of the page, scroll to the bottom where the user list is, click on a member that is in red, click send PM. They'll get back with you shortly.

If there's nobody in red on at the moment, might want to check again later, they're usually around most of the time, but sometimes they have other things that they are doing, or it could be after-hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts