East of Mississippi goes to Eastern Arc?

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
Got a call from DN today wanting to know what birds I was on (110/119/129) and they want to put me on 72 and 77 - - will be sending a tech out tomorrow. The CSR mentioned using one dish. I enquired about 61.5 and he advised they will not be using that bird. :rolleyes: I guess that's why they are replacing it. :rolleyes::rolleyes: He also advised the 72/77 solution was because I am east of the Mississippi. However our locals come from across the river from STL. Anyone know if STL locals are staying on the EA as currently they are on both 129 and 61.5?? I am soon to have a LOS issue with 129 so I am hoping they stay on 61.5. Also, am I ASSuming correctly that this will be done for free? If not I'll be doing it myself. Anyone got the straight poop on these issues? Thanks!!

If they are going to install a single dish I think it will be a 1000.4 which is eastern arc and will look at 61.5, 72 and 77...... Of course they will be using 61.5 just not for national HD.

If they are going to install a single dish I think it will be a 1000.4 which is eastern arc and will look at 61.5, 72 and 77...... Of course they will be using 61.5 just not for national HD.

I am aware of the EA one dish solution. There have been so many threads about customers getting the wrong set-up. The CSR did not leave me with a high confidence factor and I doubt the installer will either. I need to know specifically if STL locals will stay on 61.5(?) Also are these installs free? The CSR did not mention any costs--just that I needed the 72/77 to get the "new" HD channels. That was said in spite of me telling him I was already on 110/119/129 which is also an acceptable solution for the HD channels. I have been with DISH since 1998if that counts for anything.

I seen this question a lot so I thought I would put this out there, please fix as needed. If you have 61.5, 110, and 119, you can't receive all the HD channels.

Steps to figure what dish you should have

1. Enter address here Local HD Channels & Satellite TV - DISH Network
2. It will tell you your DMA according to Dish.
3. Copy DMA city
4. Paste DMA city in Search of "the list" at SatelliteGuys.US - Dish Network ALL
5. Find which satellite(s) your locals are on, may be more than two. My SD locals are on 110 and HD locals are on 61.5, I had my buddy, an installer, leave my superdish installed for 110, to input into my new 1000.4, installed where my 61.5 dish was, so I get SD and HD locals, plus IONWest, plus something I can't remember.
6. Western Arc, WA, 1000.2 covers 110, 119, 129
Eastern Arc, EA, 1000.4 covers 61.5, 72, 77
I think that covers it.

I seen this question a lot so I thought I would put this out there, please fix as needed. If you have 61.5, 110, and 119, you can't receive all the HD channels.

Steps to figure what dish you should have

1. Enter address here Local HD Channels & Satellite TV - DISH Network
2. It will tell you your DMA according to Dish.
3. Copy DMA city
4. Paste DMA city in Search of "the list" at SatelliteGuys.US - Dish Network ALL
5. Find which satellite(s) your locals are on, may be more than two. My SD locals are on 110 and HD locals are on 61.5, I had my buddy, an installer, leave my superdish installed for 110, to input into my new 1000.4, installed where my 61.5 dish was, so I get SD and HD locals, plus IONWest, plus something I can't remember.
6. Western Arc, WA, 1000.2 covers 110, 119, 129
Eastern Arc, EA, 1000.4 covers 61.5, 72, 77
I think that covers it.

Well you covered what I already know. Still need to know:
1. Will St Louis (STL) HD locals stay on 61.5? (I don't care what happens to SD)
2. IF the CSR is correct and I am switched to the EA, will there be a charge?

Well you covered what I already know. Still need to know:
1. Will St Louis (STL) HD locals stay on 61.5? (I don't care what happens to SD)
2. IF the CSR is correct and I am switched to the EA, will there be a charge?

STL is classified as an eastern arc DMA. That said, the DMA's locals are on both arcs since STL is a dual arc market. The STL locals will remain somewhere on the EA as long as STL is classified as an EA DMA.

If E* contacted you, the upgrade should be free, but before they do any work, make sure by asking.

Well the CHAT CSR said it would be free. I cut/pasted/saved that conversation. I still need to know if the STL HD locals are going to stay on 61.5. I don't trust a CSR to correctly answer that question.

OK your post hit about the same time my did. I guess that answers the EA/locals question. Thanks

People east of the Mississippi are supposed to be on the Eastern Arc? News to me - I'm two hours south of Chicago, and I'm on 110/119/129.

People east of the Mississippi are supposed to be on the Eastern Arc? News to me - I'm two hours south of Chicago, and I'm on 110/119/129.

Location to the Mississippi isn't really a factor. E* originally defined EA based on where the EA spots, primarily those on 61.5W, happened to be pointed. Thus there are EA markets west of the Mississippi and WA markets east of the Mississippi.

Well the CHAT CSR said it would be free. I cut/pasted/saved that conversation. I still need to know if the STL HD locals are going to stay on 61.5. I don't trust a CSR to correctly answer that question.

OK your post hit about the same time my did. I guess that answers the EA/locals question. Thanks

You don't trust a CSR? SHOCKED, I AM SHOCKED, SIR! :rolleyes: Whatever you do, don't lose that conversation.

Will your HD locals stay on 61.5? Absolutely. Until Dish decides to move them. I've heard of no plans to move them, FWIW. That could change, but it's a reasonable guess that they'll stay there for the foreseeable future. Nothing is guaranteed.

Well the DNS installer put in the 1000.4 and advised that they are moving the STL DMA subs to the EA. This was great for me since I now get KBS again plus the impending LOS issue I had on 129 and I prefer the better look angles. He also advised that DN is coming out with a new box to make TV2 HD. Maybe I'll start another thread on the TV2 HD box comment but I have doubts it can be done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts