Eastern Arc Dish

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
Is Dish Network still using the model 1000.4 dish for eastern arc? Do they have a newer version?
I got mine a few years ago but online I've seen some that only has two lnbs. Mine has three: 77,72.7 and 61.5.
A storm just knocked out my dish signal. I haven't had a chance to try fix it yet but I was considering replacing the dish if there is a newer version.

Unless your locals are from Bluefield, the 2 head will work fine for you. If Bluefield is your locals, you just might need to see 77 depending on your line of sight.

The 1000.4 is easier to dial in than the 1000.2 if you do your own aiming. It also has a slightly larger reflector than the 1000.2. If the storm blew out your eastern arc LNBF, replacements are readily available from several online sources.

Does the eastern 1000.4 DPP with 3 orbitals receive stronger signals than a eastern 1000.2 DPP with 2 orbitals?

Which will have less rain fade?

Only need 61.5 and 72.7 even with an SD TV in the house? Heard SDs are on 77.

Currently on split arc 110/119 and 61.5 due to a massive tree blocking 72.7.
Trying to save $$$ for tree removal. Then install one dish for eastern slots.

Thanks

Does the eastern 1000.4 DPP with 3 orbitals receive stronger signals than a eastern 1000.2 DPP with 2 orbitals?

Thanks
The difference is Minimal.
Chances are if your 1000.2 loses signal, the 1000.4 will be maybe a minute behind.

I've noticed around a 2-3 point gain on your signal screen.
Hardly worth worrying about.

I changed my 1000.4 to a 1000.5 by taking the 500 Plus reflector, and that peaked the signal 12-15 over the 1000.2 EA.
That was a noticeable improvement especially on the 61.5.

I know someone that has 2 seperate 30 inch dishes for 61.5 and 72.7.
He hardly ever has rain fade.

Reactions: buist
I live in central IL. and have 3 1.2m antennas that I brought from Puerto Rico when I moved last year. As the ground was frozen at the time Dish came for the install, they used a non pen roof mount for temp setup. When spring came around I setup my "3 amigos". There was a negligible increase in signal strength, but vertically no rain fade. Now I'm upgrading to the Hopper 3 that will use the eastern arch. Dish will have to use the non pen roof mount again because the DHP42 switch is not yet available and I don't want it installed on the house. I hope I can get them to aim and peak 2 of the 1.2m antennas when they install, as I already have everything done for them as far as cable runs and distribution. I'm under the impression that I will be able to use the DPP dual LNBFs ounce the new switch is available because the switch in currently integrated in the hyper lnbf. I would appreciate any feedback you may have.
Don B

The difference is Minimal. .....

Thanks for the input.

I have a 1000.4 eastern dish with 3 orbitals. So when tree is removed/topped I'll just use that dish and while peaking ignore 77 signal levels. Or should I cover 77's eye some how?

No disadvantages having the 1000.4 as opposed to 1000.2?

The advantage of a split arc, which I currently have, is being able to watch some channels on one arc while the other is blocked by weather. Although for some reason recently that is becoming more difficult to accomplish than in the past.

Reactions: pattykay
Thanks for the input.

I have a 1000.4 eastern dish with 3 orbitals. So when tree is removed/topped I'll just use that dish and while peaking ignore 77 signal levels. Or should I cover 77's eye some how?

No disadvantages having the 1000.4 as opposed to 1000.2?

The advantage of a split arc, which I currently have, is being able to watch some channels on one arc while the other is blocked by weather. Although for some reason recently that is becoming more difficult to accomplish than in the past.
Just peak your 72, and that will be close enough to get your 61 ,and you can fine tune from there.
You shouldn't have to cover any LNBs if your receiver is already set for 1.4k dish.
If its set for EA2 than you will have will have to cover that 77 , just to make sure you dont get the 72 on the 77 lnb.
But you should still run a check switch after you peak the 72 and 61.

The 1000.4 is easier to dial in than the 1000.2 if you do your own aiming. It also has a slightly larger reflector than the 1000.2. If the storm blew out your eastern arc LNBF, replacements are readily available from several online sources.
Really? I found the 1000.2 to be easier to align. It is much lighter. Which meant carrying the thing up a 28 foot ladder was better.
The AZ/EL cap was not part of the 1000.2. It has a polar plate, similar to other small antennas
Since the Point Two is looking at just two slots, it is not necessary to have the larger antenna. Finally, the Point 4 required precision alignment due to the lower power output of the 77* slot.

Thanks
If you can keep the wing dish for 61.5, do so.

So let me try to recap what I have learned form this thread. Corrections welcomed and encouraged. :)

So signal strength/rain fade for eastern arc (61/72) is basically the same whether using .4 or .2 dish.
Not worth paying for a .2 when I have a .4?

I would get better signals/less rain fade with two separate 18 inch 500s with single lnb for each 61 and 72?

Will need an external switch then? Which one? DPP44 ?

No use for 77 even with one SD TV?

Equipment; 722 and 612. Locals on 61. Currently 500 for 61.5, 500 for 110/119.
Tree in way of 72/77 for now.

ETA; Looking at switches, with one coax run with a separator for each stb, my guess is I'll need a DPP44 not a DP34. If going to 2 500 single lnbs. ? ? ?

Really? I found the 1000.2 to be easier to align. It is much lighter. Which meant carrying the thing up a 28 foot ladder was better.
The AZ/EL cap was not part of the 1000.2. It has a polar plate, similar to other small antennas
Since the Point Two is looking at just two slots, it is not necessary to have the larger antenna. Finally, the Point 4 required precision alignment due to the lower power output of the 77* slot.

Yes, really... The AZ/EL fine tuning controls on the 1000.4 make dialing it in much easier in my experience. And my experience includes dialing it in as often as daily as we move around in our RV. I also appreciate having the 77* bird available when we're in heavily treed areas where I can only find a gap big enough to hit 72.7 & 77, but not 61.5. And when I switch over to our western arc LNB, I have three sats to hit any way, so hitting all three on EA when the sight line allows is not a problem. I did modify my 1000.4 for a no tools needed setup, but that could also be done to a 1000.2. I'll also add, that a fairly common mod to the 1000.2 mentioned on the RV tech forums is the addition of an AZ and/or EL fine tuning mechanism, similar to the 1000.4 OEM setup. Yes, the 1000.4 is heavier, and that's something I see as a plus that makes it less susceptible to damage and more stable in high winds. If I had to carry one up on a roof everyday, then yes, I'd rather it were the lighter dish of course, even a 300. :biggrin

Reactions: pattykay
IMO I agree with both of yous.
The 1000.2 is easier to align, But without the fine tuning adjustment, Its sloppy and not smooth when doing the final peaking.
They should just throw a Fine tuning adjustment on those too.
Thats all.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts