Eastern Arc Install Disaster

bobo8652805

Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I ordered dish from a local retailer. He sends out the installer to install a 722 dvr and a eastern arc solution for my apartment. Since my balcony barely had a view for 61.5 because of my balcony angle and the roof overhang, he had to put the dish on a 10 foot pole and strap to the corner of my railing. There were no holes drilled, no damages and it was not permanently mounted in any way. About a week after the install, I got a violation notice from my apartment manager because the LNB arm and part of the dish hangs over an imaginary line on my balcony. She says Dish violated the FCC rules for dish installs in apartments. She told me that I will have to take it down or have it moved to be contained within the boundaries of my balcony. I have tried three times to call the retailer, but no one calls me back. With the tough viewing angle, moving it back will not be an option (will be blocked by roof line). I am at a loss. My only solution would be to have a western arc view on a tripod, but I can not get anyone to respond. It looks like I may have to buy my own western arc dish and tripod. It is crazy to have to buy my own dish after an install was done "violating FCC rules". The "friendly" apartment manager said that Dish will not charge me anything to move the dish or terminate service. I told her not only will Dish charge me, but the retailer will charge me back alot of money for terminating service and losing commision.
If I got my own WA dish, would I have to do any software updates on the receiver (it is currently sewt for those EA sats)? Unfortunately, using the WA will delete my Charlotte NC locals. Any other alternatives that I am missing?:confused:

Call dish directly if you cant get ahold of the retailer. If that doesnt produce anything there is always the ceo email address.

They didn't violate FCC rules, they violated the rules of the mental defective who owns your building. The FCC has set some limits on what such mental defectives can do, but I have no idea why they still allow them to restrict your dish placement AT ALL.

The rule applies to antenna users who live in a multiple dwelling unit building, such as a condominium or apartment building, if the antenna user has an exclusive use area in which to install the antenna. "Exclusive use" means an area of the property that only you, and persons you permit, may enter and use to the exclusion of other residents. For example, your condominium or apartment may include a balcony, terrace, deck or patio that only you can use, and the rule applies to these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building.
FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Hard to call empty space over some imaginary line a common use area.

I went and had another "productive" talk with the manager. Now they are saying that dish violated the rules of the community as the FCC does allow them to restrict the dish overhanging from my exclusive space that includes an imaginary line. I am going to take the EA dish down and try to mount the dish and 10 foot mast on a tripod from Radio Shack. I am almost certain that it will not work, but is probably cheaper than buying another dish. Maybe I should get a 5 gallon bucket, fill with concrete and stick the mast in there. Now instead of an LNB sticking out over the "line", a big ugly bucket sitting in my exclusive space.

If I put up a WA dish (with 129), do I just have to run check switch on the 722?

I am an owner of a apartment complex.I have it in my leases I have to give the ok on any antenna put up.I did this after my tenants had 5 dishes attached to my 100 foot tv tower.
The last straw was someone had an internet dish placed on the top of the tower. After the tenant left the company that installed the dish called and asked for a time they could remove it.I asked hoe they had the right to put it up to begin with.I told them as long as they had a bucket truck they could remove it.They wanted to climb the tower.I said they had to sign an insurance release and provide $1000 damage deposit. The lame installers came in the middle of the night and removed the dish.
So,I have some sense of what apartment building owners face. I will allow a dish,but I have to be there for the install!

If you have no other option than to go the WA route, you can use a 1000+ Dish. It may be a tad bigger than the one you have now, but you'll be able to pick up Charlotte HD locals on 118.7

just an FYI... good luck

I ordered dish from a local retailer. He sends out the installer to install a 722 dvr and a eastern arc solution for my apartment. Since my balcony barely had a view for 61.5 because of my balcony angle and the roof overhang, he had to put the dish on a 10 foot pole and strap to the corner of my railing. There were no holes drilled, no damages and it was not permanently mounted in any way. About a week after the install, I got a violation notice from my apartment manager because the LNB arm and part of the dish hangs over an imaginary line on my balcony. She says Dish violated the FCC rules for dish installs in apartments. She told me that I will have to take it down or have it moved to be contained within the boundaries of my balcony. I have tried three times to call the retailer, but no one calls me back. With the tough viewing angle, moving it back will not be an option (will be blocked by roof line). I am at a loss. My only solution would be to have a western arc view on a tripod, but I can not get anyone to respond. It looks like I may have to buy my own western arc dish and tripod. It is crazy to have to buy my own dish after an install was done "violating FCC rules". The "friendly" apartment manager said that Dish will not charge me anything to move the dish or terminate service. I told her not only will Dish charge me, but the retailer will charge me back alot of money for terminating service and losing commision.
If I got my own WA dish, would I have to do any software updates on the receiver (it is currently sewt for those EA sats)? Unfortunately, using the WA will delete my Charlotte NC locals. Any other alternatives that I am missing?:confused:

LOL. Who died and made her Charlie Ergen??

Ok, if you call DISH directly, they'll set up a trouble call date to fix the issue. Then, that call will populate in the retailer's DISH portal. If the retailer doesn't go out and fix the issue, he'll be charged $100 by DISH for DISH sending their tech instead. Either way, you get taken care of.

As far as cancelling service. You can do that if you are within your legal right. I would say document the issue by having your landlord give you a notice to move your dish on apartment letterhead. Then, if you can't get line of sight within your exclusive use area, cancel service. When your credit card gets hit for a backcharge, dispute the item with your credit card company. Just explain that the system shouldn't have been installed to begin with since you couldn't get signal in a compliant manner.

I was looking through my records and I found some interesting things. It looks like the local retailer contracted the install out to a local install contractor. I called the retailer and he has never called back. I then called the contractor that left his busines card. he has never called back. I remember the installer having me sign two contracts. One was a 24 month dish contract and the other a 12 month with the retailer. He only left the dish network contract in my welcome packet. I can not recall all the rules for breaking the retailer contract. I vaguely remember a $300 install fee and $500 for the 722 receiver. I am sure if I gave up on Dish, he would charge me back all of this stuff to my credit card.
On another note, they could not ground the dish on my balcony and told me that they can overlook it, but true Dish Network installers will refuse to install with no ground. I am not sure if Dish comes out if they will even attempt to fix the situation.
Maybe that would cause Dish to waive the term fee, but the darn retailer will charge me over a contract that I do not have the full details about.

I was looking through my records and I found some interesting things. It looks like the local retailer contracted the install out to a local install contractor. I called the retailer and he has never called back. I then called the contractor that left his busines card. he has never called back. I remember the installer having me sign two contracts. One was a 24 month dish contract and the other a 12 month with the retailer. He only left the dish network contract in my welcome packet. I can not recall all the rules for breaking the retailer contract. I vaguely remember a $300 install fee and $500 for the 722 receiver. I am sure if I gave up on Dish, he would charge me back all of this stuff to my credit card.
On another note, they could not ground the dish on my balcony and told me that they can overlook it, but true Dish Network installers will refuse to install with no ground. I am not sure if Dish comes out if they will even attempt to fix the situation.
Maybe that would cause Dish to waive the term fee, but the darn retailer will charge me over a contract that I do not have the full details about.

Like I said, you'll be in the right when you go to dispute the charge with your credit card company because the installation wasn't installed in a manner acceptable to the property owner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts